Ammo superstition

This is a discussion on Ammo superstition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Old School What I really want is to find out what round Walker Texas Ranger uses to shoot those cars causing them ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammo superstition

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    What I really want is to find out what round Walker Texas Ranger uses to shoot those cars causing them to flip over and burst into flames. Now that is a round that legends are made of.
    It's a Chuck Norris round. Much to powerful for normal man. You would hurt yourself of you tried to use it.

2. Remove Ads

9,40, and 45 are apples and orange to 357 mag. semi autos to wheel gun.

VIP Member
    I think much of the modern hype came about from the "one shot stop" studies (take them or leave them, this is what they said) that gave the 125gr JHP in .375 Magnum the Numero Uno position. I don't, by any stretch of the imagination, think that these studies are gospel, but they did indicate that this particular load had the highest percentage of these mythical "one shot stops."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

One thing that makes the .357 a caliber you should own a handgun in is that in a 6"+ barrel length it makes a dandy hunting round (Elmer Keith loved it for hunting I believe), you can get nice velocity in a fairly heavy bullet giving good expansion, penetration and bone breaking power. I have two, both Rugers; a classic 6" barrel Security Six and a new 6" GP100. I carry one or the other as a BUG when I hit our hunting club lease. The GP100 is what I carry on rainy days out hunting and the Security Six when its dry. I also hunt wild pigs with it, running them with dogs so its up close and personal which is perfect for a powerful handgun like a .357.

Also, when you want to practice you can shoot mild mannered .38 Specials for low recoil. When you use target .38 loads it makes a really good step up for a new shooter from a .22, the recoil is easily handled by most everyone.

Every handgunner should have a .357 in his/her gun safe.

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

One quick note, my Glock 33 is in 357 Sig, 125 grain rounds give the same velocity and thus performance as a .357 revolver in identical 125 grain bullet weight!

Its nice to have a 11 shot 357!

The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

I don't believe it is embellishment, nor superstition, With me, it comes from experience of shooting several different calibers and ammo over a long time and becoming convinced it is just the best overall round, with the most flexibility and uses .... that got me to the point of being more confident in the .357 than anything else.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    One thing that makes the .357 a caliber you should own a handgun in is that in a 6"+ barrel length it makes a dandy hunting round (Elmer Keith loved it for hunting I believe), you can get nice velocity in a fairly heavy bullet giving good expansion, penetration and bone breaking power. I have two, both Rugers; a classic 6" barrel Security Six and a new 6" GP100. I carry one or the other as a BUG when I hit our hunting club lease. The GP100 is what I carry on rainy days out hunting and the Security Six when its dry. I also hunt wild pigs with it, running them with dogs so its up close and personal which is perfect for a powerful handgun like a .357.

Also, when you want to practice you can shoot mild mannered .38 Specials for low recoil. When you use target .38 loads it makes a really good step up for a new shooter from a .22, the recoil is easily handled by most everyone.

Every handgunner should have a .357 in his/her gun safe.

The Duke
    The reason that Elmer Keith favored it, was because he created it. He along with Dan Wesson and others. But it was Keith's experimentation with the .38 Special that gave birth to the magnum. Wikipedia
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    One quick note, my Glock 33 is in 357 Sig, 125 grain rounds give the same velocity and thus performance as a .357 revolver in identical 125 grain bullet weight!

Its nice to have a 11 shot 357!

The Duke
    Yes, but, will it shoot those .38 Specials for target practice and small game hunting?

Years ago Winchester made a 158gr. SWC made with what they called Luballoy.
    One time in an old junk yard there was an old car (the kind actually made out of metal). Using a S&W Mod. 28, 4" barrel, I shot one of those bullets through the trunk lid, back seat, front seat, dash, firewall, and out a front fender. Some of the old studies on stopping power of bullets rated the SWC pretty high, partly because of the penetration capability and partly due to the flat nose. Sometimes though, penetration can be a drawback, if there is a shoot-through. Then of course, Remington marketed some pointed nose bullets in cartridges they listed as armor-piercing. Still have a couple of those from the old LEO days.

If I could only have one handgun, it would probably be a .357 mag due to the versatility in loads available for plinking, target shooting, hunting and self-defense. Probably a S&W Mod. 27 or 28, maybe a Python, with speed loaders.

The .357 Magnum revolver is a grand choice for an "only gun."
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I found an old junker in the backwoods in Alaska and put a .41 240 gr jacketed SWC thru the heavy metal fender of the '50s car and the bullet disappeared into the block. Don't know if the .357 would, but possibly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If I had to have only one gun from now on the .357 Magnum would be my choice in a Colt Python 6 inch, I have one and several speedloaders including 4 Dade Speedloaders that are the one's used in Magnum Force the movie. I have several hundred "Social Ammo Rounds" in it and several thousand Nickle plated cartridges and several more thousand brass 38 special cartridges to load up.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I had heard that the "stop a car engine" test was one of the test that the 357 was initially designed to perform. I heard this many years ago, but do not remember the source or the supposed agency/group or manufacturer supposeidly making the request.
    I have read that many many times too. Don't know if it is fact, but sounded believable to me.

I never tried .357 Magnum on a car engine but it puts a world of hurt on old Tecumseh lawn mower engines.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I never tried .357 Magnum on a car engine but it puts a world of hurt on old Tecumseh lawn mower engines.
    Me neither, I dont' like the ideas of ricochets, just in case.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links