Ammo superstition

This is a discussion on Ammo superstition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wait a sec, im confused. Where are the 4,300 people that usually come out of the woodwork saying "its not so much about caliber, but ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammo superstition

Wait a sec, im confused. Where are the 4,300 people that usually come out of the woodwork saying "its not so much about caliber, but about shot placement"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Argue about this all you want, but in the end its about shot placement. I don't care if you carry a .357 or a .45 or a 9mm, if you can't hit with it, its no good. Always better to have a well placed shot with a .22 than a miss with a .357 magnum.

Happy now?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Argue about this all you want, but in the end its about shot placement. I don't care if you carry a .357 or a .45 or a 9mm, if you can't hit with it, its no good. Always better to have a well placed shot with a .22 than a miss with a .357 magnum.

Happy now?
    LOL!!! Well played...now the thread is complete

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Wait a sec, im confused. Where are the 4,300 people that usually come out of the woodwork saying "its not so much about caliber, but about shot placement"
    Now wait a minute. We are talking "The 357 Magnum" here. It's like a 12 ga. pump, you don't have to aim it or even take it out of the holster. Just the proximity to it will (or the sound of racking in a round in the case of the 12 gauge) will cause a bad guy to faint.

Just like the .357 mag, the racking of the 12 ga pump was born out of reality.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    .357 and 10mm.... my two favorite cartridges for personal defense
    hoping to have a 10mm glock by the end of summer as my woods back up gun and i just love buying guns i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    .40 cal is the real manstopper. This is FACT. I was told this by a group of elves making .40 bullets under a magic tree using a secret method and formula that they got from a troll living under a bridge near a firing range.

Rumor has it that said troll got his formula from Smith and Wesson's personnel after the failure of Santa's elves to create a suitable 10mm bullet to satisfy FBI elf bullet manufacture specifications...
    btw, I heard all the "go through an engine block" stuff about the .357 Magnum, too. Maybe the original loads (in armor-piercing persuasion) could do that. I don't know...I do know that J.Edgar and Co. were looking for a handgun round that FBI agents could use to take engine blocks out of commission back in the 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by PcMakr View Post
    Yes, but, will it shoot those .38 Specials for target practice and small game hunting?
    On the other hand, it takes about 60 seconds to replace the .357sig barrel with a .40 in my Sig Sauer.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    It IS about shot placement. To stop a car you have to shoot it through the water pump where the metal is thinner. It's like shooting an elephant in the eye. Heck, if you hit it in the exhaust manifold it may cause a crack but that car will disappear into the brush and you'll never be able to track it down.

But if someone pulled up to you in a car , and was holding a gun and threatening to kill you... and you had to shoot thru the door to get them, what would you hope you had in your hand. It was be a .357 for me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

A .357 mag shot from a 2 1/2 inch S&W model 19/66 in a room at a BG gives you several chances at success . You can hit him with the bullet, Blind him from the muzzle flash or burn him from the muzzle flash.
    We used to fire the first round then use the muzzle flash to illumiate our sights for follow up shots.

We used to give our plain clothes guys a razzing-- telling them we could pick out their targets at the range from the burn marks.

VIP Member
    Legends are born during wars or over long periods of time on the street.

The .357 is called the king of the street because it has been a proven man stopper for fifty years. Lots of officers are alive today because their .357 service revolvers mad the BGs go splat.

The .45 acp proved itself in two world wars and then some. Big hunks of lead at moderate velocity seem to do the trick with both FMJs and HPs.

The .40 has been crunching bad guys for about 25 years now and it seems to work quite well.

The jury has always been hung on the 9mm due to some bad press. It seems to me that the 9mm's effectiveness goes way up or moderately down depending on the ammunition used. It's possible this could be true for the .357 or the .40 as well but, as far as I know, neither of them are issued for duty using Geneva compliant FMJs. Therefore the .357 and .40 never got hit with bad press like the 9mm.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    It seems like no one will hesitate to jump into a caliber war,

I would say just the opposite is true. Caliber vs other caliber discussions are generally pretty futile and pointless in nature.

Now discussing the attributes of a specific caliber or a specific load in that caliber, can be worthwhile. But saying that one caliber is better than another usually is typically not productive.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Tupac spelled backwards is......caput.
    Close. It would be spelled "kaput".

Now on topic. We have seen stoppage and even death from .177 pellet rounds and survivors of .357 and other.

Yes, it is indeed all about shot placement.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; March 10th, 2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: my typing skils...skeel......skills suck today
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    shot placement is #1 we all can agree with that I think next comes size and power. when you have a less than perfect shot the bigger the gun your using the better your chances still are IMO.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links