Ammo superstition - Page 4

Ammo superstition

This is a discussion on Ammo superstition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dragman shot placement is #1 we all can agree with that I think next comes size and power. when you have a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    shot placement is #1 we all can agree with that I think next comes size and power. when you have a less than perfect shot the bigger the gun your using the better your chances still are IMO.
    Indeed, but only to a point. If size and power were the ONLY things that mattered, we'd all carry .88 Magnums. As long as the caliber is capable of reliably penetrating to the vitals and is of sufficient diameter to create a reasonable wound channel (what defines reasonable is, of course, different for each of us - for me it's in the 9mm/.38 cal range), then there are many, many other factors that come into play. Just a few would be capacity, recoil/follow up shots, size/concealability, ammo availability/cost, and so on. When all these other factors are weighed, the .357 Magnum is (obviously) not the right choice for every person under every condition, even if it WAS as good as the myths would have us believe.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Indeed I should have added the "biggest gun possible that you can shoot well" I shoot my 10mm glock every bit as well as I do my 9,40,45's so I carry the 10MM 99% of the time cuz it is meaner than hell.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    Even "shooting it well" isn't enough. What about concealing it well? What about having enough rounds? What about being able to shoot it cheaply (relatively speaking) so that you practice and shoot BETTER? These are all things that can't simply be overlooked by many, many shooters, and they all play into what is the "best" caliber for each of us, or more specifically for each of us in each particular situation.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    the .357 gets the glory for its one-stop-shot percentage......many years and many trips to the morgue.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Tupac spelled backwards is......caput.
    Don't they do RAP? as in
    Rapist
    And
    Punk
    Personally I don't give any credibility or care what Rapists And Punks think or do. Your right cat crap probably accurately describes what that Rapist Punk is
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    How is a legend born? And how is it that homosapiens, otherwise intelligent creatures, will bet their life and money on a myth?
    Or is it true?
    There is substantial evidence that .357 is a very effective man stopper. Maybe the perfect balance of velocity and bullet mass. If I shot it well I would carry one based on the credible verifiable studies regarding its effectiveness, not myth
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Don't they do RAP? as in
    Rapist
    And
    Punk
    Personally I don't give any credibility or care what Rapists And Punks think or do. Your right cat crap probably accurately describes what that Rapist Punk is
    Little known about tupac is that he was a licenced CC'r and once used his weapon to defend a minor who was being attacked (and was not charged in the shooting). Don't get caught up in the image and talk bad about a man who you don't know. Thats is the same as liberals calling us crazy gun toting rednecks.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    Nice moon cut, so who did it? I have one done by TK and I was considering another source for my next one. Ok, that's if there is a next one.

More on topic, I agree the .357 doesn’t have many critics and I prefer revolvers chambered for just that. However, I don’t actually carry .357 loads anymore, but I still like the added measure the build provides. Besides, the Buffalo Bore 158+P is close enough for ‘get-err-done’ type of loads.

Anyway, if I were to deviate from the wheel gun again, I would likely prefer the .40 simply for the balance between stopping power and round-count within a given model. All of the other stuff regarding velocities, wound cavity, etc., doesn’t seem to interest me anymore.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Administrator
    Back when there was only .38SPL some folks honestly believed that human beings just would not be able to handle the added bark, bite, & recoil of the ominously more powerful and deadly .357 MAGNUM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Don't they do RAP? as in
    Rapist
    And
    Punk
    I won't even begin to touch on the ignorance of that statement.

Instead I'll leave you with some quality underground rap. REAL rap. YouTube - Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

Local SO wanted an AR15 patrol rifle that would stop engines. They tried a 50 Beauwolf on a more modern car - it failed. If I remember right, the 7.62x25 will go thru helmets, but a NATO 9mm won't - is it the cartridge or the steel jacketed bullet in the 7.62? Will that 7.62 go thru an engine block as well? What if someone made a steel core 9mm bullet - would it get the same reputation as the .357? What about the 9mm's better reputation after not being restricted to hardball. I know people who swear a .223 isn't any good for deer - after using or seeing used a varmint bullet on a deer and it blowing up on a shoulder. Me thinks, as is many times, it's the bullet construction, not the cartridge, .... after, of course, shot placement. Pick the right tool for the job.

IIRC, AP pistol ammo is verboten per ATF.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links