Hornady Critical Defense .40 S&W 165gr FTX SIM test

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense .40 S&W 165gr FTX SIM test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I must be strange. To me a self defense bullet should perform best when penetrating normal clothing and then tissue, nothing else. My thinking is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense .40 S&W 165gr FTX SIM test

I must be strange. To me a self defense bullet should perform best when penetrating normal clothing and then tissue, nothing else. My thinking is if I need to shoot through sheet rock, a car door or a windshield am I in the defensive or agressive mode? OK stop right there, yes I can see a possibility of needing to shoot through the forementioned barriers but not nearly as often as a face to face encounter. I look at it this way, I can only bring one tool to the job ( bullet in the chamber) so I load for what I will MOST likley encounter. We all like what we like, Coke vs. Pepsi, Ford vs. Chevy, Hornady vs. Speer it's all good. Thank heaven for all the choices we have.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    I don't have much time at the moment, but here is a picture of .38 spl loads. I'll try to find ballistics on 9mm vs .40 vs .45, but I don't expect to.
    Well, but you have provided no information or documentation regarding who did the above tests. Nor what sort of gun was used for the test. Nor even which of the two .38 Special Critical Defense loads this was. Just posting an anonymous photo with no information behind it is not saying very much.

Detailed ballistics data on all of the different Critical Defense loads is available right on the Hornday website, for anyone to view. So I don't know why you are giving the impression that the info is hard to find, as that is not true. The .38 Special Critical Defense load is a far more low power load than their .40 S&W and .45 ACP loads that we have been discussing, both of which are quite robust in their ballistics.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    No one carries U.S. standard 115gr in 9mm for self defense, and the .45 critical defense is a 185gr... No real reason to carry a 185gr .45 ACP load for self defense.
    Those are not accurate or valid points either. 115 gr 9mm loads have been on the market for many decades. And there is a very excellent reason to carry ammo using lighter weight bullets. And that is because one can achieve decent velocities with lighter bullets with using less powder, thus producing a load that has less recoil to it. I'm confident that one of the goals that Hornady had in producing this ammo was to produce ammo with decent velocity and expansion, without having heavy recoil.

Your comments come across as being extremely biased against Critical Defense ammo. Your initial claim that they are simply "unreliable" is clearly not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    ANY hollowpoint is going to expand nicely when shot into water, as water doesn't compress.
    Unfortunately, that was the only video test that I could find. There is a definite lack of testing data available for these new rounds.

If people could actually produce and cite tests that show it performing poorly, then that would be another matter. But I certainly could not find any such data to back up condemning this ammo when I did a Google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    I must be strange. To me a self defense bullet should perform best when penetrating normal clothing and then tissue, nothing else. My thinking is if I need to shoot through sheet rock, a car door or a windshield am I in the defensive or agressive mode? OK stop right there, yes I can see a possibility of needing to shoot through the forementioned barriers but not nearly as often as a face to face encounter. I look at it this way, I can only bring one tool to the job ( bullet in the chamber) so I load for what I will MOST likley encounter. We all like what we like, Coke vs. Pepsi, Ford vs. Chevy, Hornady vs. Speer it's all good. Thank heaven for all the choices we have.
    Man, I am with you on this. I don't want to ever put myself into a situation where our local District Attorney could question whether it was necessary for me to shoot.

Hornady has good traditional self dense loads with their TAP and Custom product lines, using their proven XTP bullets. The Critical Defense is not meant to have the same kind of characteristics as these traditional loads. It is rather unfair to say that it is inadequate or unreliable solely because it is different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links