Tell me about the 5.7 rd...please

This is a discussion on Tell me about the 5.7 rd...please within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is the 5.7x28 rd just a glorified .22 mag or does it actually have the ballistic power needed in a self defense situation....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tell me about the 5.7 rd...please

Is the 5.7x28 rd just a glorified .22 mag or does it actually have the ballistic power needed in a self defense situation.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Only my view but it's a (not very) glorified rendition of the .22 Magnum. It isn't a bit more special than conventional handgun ammunition throwing heavier bullets of larger diameter. With good hits many cartridges are basically suitable.

My dad has had a .22 Magnum rifle and revolver since I was a kid and I never thought much of the round. Too expensive, too loud (in the revolver), and not accurate enough. Of course I did use the rifle once to drop a running coyote in his tracks from 100 yards. Bullet hit just to the left of the root of the tail and exited the front of his chest/right shoulder area. So I guess it has something going for it.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'll be sure to give you a full answer tomorrow, imtheduke. I'm about to hit the sack.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

You asked over at THR - Powered by vBulletin, and I answered there. It's not very in depth, but I've been very busy the last couple of days. Hope it helps. Tell me about the 5.7 rd...please - THR
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I've read several accounts of officer involved shootings with p90s used by a South Florida LE agency. It has not been an effective combo. The best load I'm aware of for 5.7 is a ~40g TSX loaded by Elite Ammunition. It performs about as well as a .380 acp fmj. No one's saying it's worthless, but I'll take a 9mm over it in just about any situation I can think of.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Only my view but it's a (not very) glorified rendition of the .22 Magnum.
    I completely disagree. The shape of the round is completely different and it's about 25% more powerful. From what I've been told by several sources, the AP variant with the steel core is quite an effective round that leaves nasty results.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I completely disagree. The shape of the round is completely different and it's about 25% more powerful. From what I've been told by several sources, the AP variant with the steel core is quite an effective round that leaves nasty results.
    That's the round used by the LE agency I mentioned. It has performed extremely poorly for them in actual usage on people.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

I may stand corrected then. I've been lead to believe it worked quite well. So much so that I gave serious consideration to buying an FN FiveseveN.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

From what I have read, its' biggest advantage is when it is used with armor piercing ammo. It is also economical for manufacturers because it can be produced on the same lines as the 5.56 because of its' dimensions.
    I haven't really read anything to show me that the 5.7 is a good self defense round and it does NOT meet the FBI 12" penetration recommendation for service calibers. I think the hype built up by FNH, and the whining of the Brady bunch about how dangerous it was to allow civilians to own them because of armor piercing capability with AP ammo is what got a lot of people into it. It seems there are a lot of different opinions about there on it. Personally I would much rather have a 9mm w/ 147gr bullets than a 5.7 w/ 40gr.

I think it'd be a hoot to handload for the 5.7 if a miniaturized bolt action rifle with a small bolt face, properly configured for the round, could be obtained. It'd make a keen little 100 yard bench rest toy and would do for pests out to maybe 150 yards. I would be uninterested in a pistol or "assault" type rifle chambered for 5.7.

I have a .22 Hornet which handily whips up on the 5.7. The little Hornet is a fun round but still isn't a barn burner for power. Other than having been provided in a few military survival type rifles, the .22 Hornet has no particular reputation as an anti-personnel wonder. The best that could be said of it is that, with good hits, it would do.

Found a bunch if 5.7 cases lying on the ground at the range the other day. Really cute little things. I stashed them away for a rainy day.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Is the 5.7x28 rd just a glorified .22 mag or does it actually have the ballistic power needed in a self defense situation.

it will drop a 75lb javelina

Texasg I believe you are referring to City Of West Palm PD. I don't know why they carry those, I'd like to talk with their admin as to the logic behind going with them.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    it will drop a 75lb javelina
    Great, so bring it on sixth graders!
    azchevy likes this.

There is a lot of information comparing muzzle velocity, ballistic charts, impact figures, wound penetration, wound channels, etc for various 5.7 rounds and compared to other bullets, all of it impressive. And you can see Youtube videos of 5.7 rounds in ballistic gelatin, or in gelatin after passing thru protective vests, killed hogs, even moose brought down by the 57, all these give you some idea of what its theoretical effectiveness might be in the real world. However, there is one tragic actual event that tells anyone who is interested everything they need to know about how that gun actually performs in real life. That is the Fort Hood Massacre. Fort Hood shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 30 shot, 13 killed, that is a wounded to killed ratio of 2.3 to 1 or a 43% kill percentage. That would be impressive for a 45 or any hand gun. Generally about 30% is considered normal. A U of Penn study on firearm fatality versus wounding in US shootings came up with a figure of 32%, this included shotguns, rifles and pistols. The initial tactic employed by the shooter was to spray the room with bullets, so likely if he had carefully directed his fire on all his shots, the ratio would have been higher. Moreover the effect when it hits bone seems particularly devastating, the first officer who engaged him was shoot in the leg. The result, 120 bone fragments. There were many similar reports among those shoot that day. Almost everyone hit center mass died.
    The 5.7 round was initially commissioned by NATO as a replacement for the 9mm. The police officer who brought him down used a 9mm. it took five hits before he stopped him with the final shot to the spine. The weapon used was the civilian version of the FiveseveN using civilian rounds, all purchased at Guns Galore in Kileen, TX.
    The U of Penn report notes that semi automatic pistols are more deadly than revolvers because of the higher number of hits to the victim. This is of course based on the greater number of cartridges in the weapon and the speed at which it can be fired. The 57 with its 20 or 30 cartridge magazines and its very low recoil is particularly effective in both these categories.

I have looked a lot at 5.7 ( and owned a 5.7 ) about the best we can get unless a cop is the red box green tip rounds ( they are legal to buy and own but FN wont sell them to civilians) . Remember this round was made for body armor and that round we can not own ( I have maybe seen some but they were most likely fakes ).. That said it is a fun gun holds 20-30 round and has low recoil and they are making more ammo for it so that might help cost ..

SS198LF is the cop round and Vmax rounds are not too bad ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links