12 Gauge Ammo - Advice Needed - Page 2

12 Gauge Ammo - Advice Needed

This is a discussion on 12 Gauge Ammo - Advice Needed within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All of my serious shotgun ammo is Federal with the Flite Control wad. I'm lazy and I much prefer the low recoil loads. Look up ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 Gauge Ammo - Advice Needed

All of my serious shotgun ammo is Federal with the Flite Control wad. I'm lazy and I much prefer the low recoil loads. Look up their PD132 load and pattern a few against the competition. You'll be impressed with how it holds a tight pattern where other buck loads have scattered off the target.

If someone has concerns about overpenetration in their home, and for some it's unavoidable due to design or construction, Federal makes Flite Control loads in larger sizes of birdshot. If you're stuck using birdshot you need all the mass on target you can get and the Federal delivers tight patterns at much longer ranges than the discount loads in bulk at Wal Mart.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Each shotgun tends to shoot rounds differently. Get several brands and pattern you gun then choose the brand that shoots best for you. I like Fiocchi, Federal Flight control, and the reduced recoil.

As has been mentioned, you do need to aim a shotgun - that is if you actually want to hit what your target.

I have a 590a1 myself. Hitting a target at 100 yards with slugs and a bead sight is not at all differcult. With you rifle sights you can shoot a shotgun very accurately.
    NRA Life Member

There is no reason to use slugs inside a home.

I use #1 buckshot. It can be hard to find, but you can get it online.

Good discussion here:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

When placed in gravest extreme, you will want the best defensive munitions available....a round that will penetrate heavy clothing....a round that will produce the greatest wound channel....a round that produces a tremendous amount of hydrostatic shock, which will assist in shutting down the central nervous system....a round that will stop the action in the least amount of time...... that is why I have chosen the new round offered by Centurion Munitions. The new offering is called 12 gauge Centurion LE 2 3/4" Multi Defense Buck. It consists of one (1) .650 inch (.65 Cal) lead ball surrounded by six (6) #1 Buckshot, traveling at a velocity of approximately 1,300 fps. This gives a fine balance intended for maximum penetration and knockdown power, plus the advantage of the six (6) #1 buckshot for greater impact points. Does it kick? You bet...just as any 00 Buck, but with the proper aftermarket recoil pad, the felt recoil can be reduced by as much as 50%. I have nine (9) of these rounds stuffed in my Mossberg 590, plus another six (6) special purpose 12 gauge Flechette rounds in a stock sidesaddle. I have tested this latest round against various media, even raw frying hens......the devastating results against any foe from 25 yards on in will, in my opinion, be a surgeons nightmare. I highly recommend this new round...keeping in mind that in close quarters, the concussion produced from the blast could very well burst the eardrums of unprotected ears, (just as any munition that has a velocity that is greater than the speed of sound)...but of course, this will be the least of your problems when faced with a life or death situation. Just remember, if you must utilize deadly force...shoot until the action stops, or until the weapon doesn't work anymore!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkirk View Post
    When placed in gravest extreme, you will want the best defensive munitions available....a round that will penetrate heavy clothing....a round that will produce the greatest wound channel....a round that produces a tremendous amount of hydrostatic shock, which will assist in shutting down the central nervous system....a round that will stop the action in the least amount of time...... that is why I have chosen the new round offered by Centurion Munitions. The new offering is called 12 gauge Centurion LE 2 3/4" Multi Defense Buck. It consists of one (1) .650 inch (.65 Cal) lead ball surrounded by six (6) #1 Buckshot, traveling at a velocity of approximately 1,300 fps. This gives a fine balance intended for maximum penetration and knockdown power, plus the advantage of the six (6) #1 buckshot for greater impact points. Does it kick? You bet...just as any 00 Buck, but with the proper aftermarket recoil pad, the felt recoil can be reduced by as much as 50%. I have nine (9) of these rounds stuffed in my Mossberg 590, plus another six (6) special purpose 12 gauge Flechette rounds in a stock sidesaddle. I have tested this latest round against various media, even raw frying hens......the devastating results against any foe from 25 yards on in will, in my opinion, be a surgeons nightmare. I highly recommend this new round...keeping in mind that in close quarters, the concussion produced from the blast could very well burst the eardrums of unprotected ears, (just as any munition that has a velocity that is greater than the speed of sound)...but of course, this will be the least of your problems when faced with a life or death situation. Just remember, if you must utilize deadly force...shoot until the action stops, or until the weapon doesn't work anymore!
    Thanks for the advice! I saw a video yesterday on You Tube about the Flechette round and it looks devastating. Unfortunately, those rounds are not available here in Costa Rica so I have to settle for 00 Buckshot.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I've always been a little skeptical of flechette rounds. I think they look more devastating than they actually are. Supposedly they have big issues with penetration... although the story goes that soldiers in Vietnam used them to "clear" trees in the jungle of snipers. In that sense, it may have worked, since the flechettes should have easily sliced through foliage, without slowing down too much.

I think they're illegal here in FL, along with "dragon's breath" rounds... you can look on youtube to see what those are all about

Yes, indeed..... we used these rounds to penetrate the elephant grass in Southeast Asia....it cuts right through, and anything else along its way...concentrated fire with these rounds got "Charlie's" attention...they didn't hang around long! Once the elephant grass was cut down by flechette or 7.62mm (.308) the .223 (5.56mm) started to penetrate and do its damage. Illegal in FL? Load your own....pay the fine for utilizing an illegal round in the defense of your life or your family! Do the time...if necessary....you and family will come out alive....to live another day....the human pieces of garbage intent on doing you harm won't...screw the PC crowd...their lives were not at stake!!!!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Ok, so I finally went to several gun shops and bought 1 box of 00 Buckshot ammo from each of the following brands Winchester Super X, Fiocchi, Remington Express Buckshot, Aguila Buckshot, Federal Power-Shok and Hornady Critical Defense to test them out through my new Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge shotgun. After testing each of the different brands and how they pattern with my shotgun, I bought 10 boxes of Winchester Super X 00 Buckshot (9 pellets) 2-3/4" shotshells (XB1200) which works best with my shotgun. Now I want to buy some slugs and birdshot to keep a couple of boxes in the house in case that I ever need it (doubt it with 00 Buck).

This was the first time in my life that I have ever fired a shotgun and to be honest, I was expecting a lot more recoil than what people make up to be. After 5 - 6 shots of 00 Buckshot I was very confident with it and I could fire shots quickly and on-target up to 15 - 20 yards. I had absolutely no pain in my shoulder after 100 shots, no problem with recoil and the ghost ring sights on my shotgun are awesome! I am very pleased with my purchase and I feel pity for the fool that tries to break into my house.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, comments and advice!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member
    That's a beautiful shotgun, congrats on it. I see a bunch of photos with the bayonet, did you get that?

I would put a light on it.

Congrats. I actually had the opposite experience as you with respect to recoil. I fired my new shotgun a few days ago, with "Nobel Sport" 12 pellet 00 buck (2 3/4"). WOW! Haha. That was something else.

The only other long gun I've shot before is a 5.56 AR-15 range rental, which is really nothing when it comes to recoil. I think I picked up a flinch most likely... but only way to get over it is to go back and get more comfortable with it. I think I made some progress in the short 10 shell session I had, considering my first round put me a few involuntary steps out of my shooting stall and kind of laughing because I wasn't ready at all for that level of recoil (to me, anyway)

I had no bruising but did have some soreness for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Congrats. I actually had the opposite experience as you with respect to recoil. I fired my new shotgun a few days ago, with "Nobel Sport" 12 pellet 00 buck (2 3/4"). WOW! Haha. That was something else.

The only other long gun I've shot before is a 5.56 AR-15 range rental, which is really nothing when it comes to recoil. I think I picked up a flinch most likely... but only way to get over it is to go back and get more comfortable with it. I think I made some progress in the short 10 shell session I had, considering my first round put me a few involuntary steps out of my shooting stall and kind of laughing because I wasn't ready at all for that level of recoil (to me, anyway)

I had no bruising but did have some soreness for a couple of days.
    Try practicing with birdshot for a while to get used to the shotgun. It's a lot cheaper and has a lot less recoil. Besides, the only 12 pellet 12ga. load I know of is a 12ga. magnum. Other than magnum slugs, that's about the worst thing to break in a noob.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I was expecting a lot more recoil than what people make up to be.
    Yes. I don't know why this is. Maybe it's embedded in our language: we talk about shotguns having "kick" and "blast" and so forth. You get the impression that it's a real handful.

But in fact, I've found that my Mossberg 500 just loves running. The more it shoots, the more it loves shooting. Like an internal combustion engine, it warms up and just wants to go and keep going.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

The last batch of reduced recoil I bought was Hornady TAP 00 Buck 8 pellet @ 1100 fps and Winchester Ranger Slug @ 1200 fps. Soft shooting and tight patterns.

P26093812.jpgP26094308.jpg

1974 Rem 870 with Polychoke and Pro-port
    Last edited by Old School; March 17th, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I actually have that exact same shotgun and I generally use Federal 00 Buck with alternating Federal slugs. If the 00 don't work, that huge slug sure as will!
    "00, Slug, 00, Slug, 00, Slug"
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

As long as you stay with any major manufacturers and avoid cheap imported stuff, you should do well. If you can get your hands on some law enforcement 00B, go for it. I have a couple of boxes of Winchester 00B, 12 pellet, low recoil LE only stuff that followed me home when I retired.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links