Hollow Points ?? - Page 2

Hollow Points ??

This is a discussion on Hollow Points ?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The reason for hollow points is that they are more effective than round nose bullets. Over penetration is a silly concern. People worry about a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hollow Points ??

The reason for hollow points is that they are more effective than round nose bullets.

Over penetration is a silly concern. People worry about a good shot overpenetrating and don't worry about all the misses that by wizzing by at full velocity.
    I beg to differ over penetration is a valid concern as are complete misses by people carrying firearms for protection,that miss or over penetrate into an innocent bystander and you will not only be looking at criminal charges,but very likely civil charges also
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If I were the public affairs officer for a police department, I would be saying that we use hollow point bullets to limit penetration and thereby protect the public and our officers from shoot-throughs. This sounds a whole lot better than saying we use hollow point bullets because they cause more internal damage and enhanced bleeding and thereby better stop the bad guys. Maybe this is one reason why over penetration is hyped to such a major extent. As has been stated by some here, misses are a far greater hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    I wonder if insurgents # 2 & 3 would agree that overpenetration is silly?

U.S. Marine Corps Staff Sergeant Steve Reichert - Killed 3 Iraqi insurgents hiding behind a brick wall with a single shot from 1 mile in Lutayfiyah, Iraq on April 9, 2004.
    that was an exploding round great shot but he did not get them stand in line behind a wall ..

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Hollowpoint vs. Full Metal Jacket

Has a test in gelatin,.

And here is a pretty good explaination describing it here;The Truth About Hollow Point Bullets | LearnAboutGuns.com*
    What comes as a shock to me is that just about all the popular defensive rounds found in handguns in these links^ all penetrated over 10 inches if not more, from the .22LR-to the .44mag (which i would consider the biggest reasonable CC/OC everyday caliber)... yes that means the .25ACP and the .32.. now I know it is just ballistic gel, there are no bones, but I think 10+ inches says something.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Interesting. On a side note, I was laughing so hard when I was watching Inception last night. It was my first time seeing the movie, and there were about 6 guys in a car taking on a hailstorm of bullets - continuously for... well, a bunch of minutes. I won't give any spoilers for those who haven't seen it, but apparently their van could take bullets like a freaking tank. Hollywood cracks me up. Entertaining movie, though. It has some pretty awesome special effects.
    That and the series of movies with Dona Speer where she takes a .25 beretta out of her bra and takes out a helicopter at 300 yards with it, with one shot.
    However, you don't watch Dona Speer movies for the authentic gunfights......

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    On a side note, I was laughing so hard when I was watching Inception last night. It was my first time seeing the movie, and there were about 6 guys in a car taking on a hailstorm of bullets - continuously for... well, a bunch of minutes. I won't give any spoilers for those who haven't seen it, but apparently their van could take bullets like a freaking tank. Hollywood cracks me up. Entertaining movie, though. It has some pretty awesome special effects.
    Well it's a good thing they were in their car because if they got hit with a single bullet it would have thrown them eight feet in the air! If the shooters were using a 12 ga shotgun all they would have had to do was rack the slide and the BG's would have been knocked unconcious!
    RemMod597 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links