Talk me into a .357 SIG - Page 4

Talk me into a .357 SIG

This is a discussion on Talk me into a .357 SIG within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have really wanted a .357sig, they had one at the gun shop when I hot my g19. For me was the deciding factor was ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 69
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Talk me into a .357 SIG

  1. #46
    Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,112
    I have really wanted a .357sig, they had one at the gun shop when I hot my g19. For me was the deciding factor was the cost of ammo. If I cannot afford to practice with a firearm and keep ammo on hand, its worthless to me. I had a .45acp and could not shoot often as I wanted.

    Point is to factor ammo cost into it.

    As for the caliber argument, no doubt .357sig is a hot round but confident a 9mm can do the job on a human target if needed.

    Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

    Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams


  2. #47
    Senior Member Array Texag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Texag, I didn't misread it, just looking at it from a different angle.
    As for verifiable 10mm tests, go out and kill a few things with it and other calibers and compare the results. Flesh, muscle, bone and guts tell you a lot more than jello. Then you will have all the verification you need. Ya got a hog problem in Texas don't ya? Get out there and help the effort.

    Oh, and I could use about 40 pounds of pork, in case you have too much :)
    It's pretty cut and dried, there aren't really angles to it.

    I'll get right on buying glocks in every major caliber, then buying several types of JHP, then shooting hogs with all possible combos. I will do this with the money, time, and land I don't have. After I conduct my study, I will have piles of data. It won't be helpful or anything, it'll just be a poorly done rehash of the invalidated Marshall and Sanow studies.

    Or I could just use data that comes from standard testing that eliminates variables and has been verified as an accurate tool simulating human tissue through comparisons to reconstructions of shootings, autopsies, and animal testing.

    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    +1. If I could get the platform I like in 10mm I would go with it.

    There must be some mighty dangerous jello in Texas. That's all the Texas boy wants to talk about shooting. I prefer to take care of critters and nusisances, and for this 357 Sig lays waste to 9mm. But I guess that doesn't count since I don't have Dr. in front of my name or post long winded B.S. on the interweb.
    Actually it doesn't count because you post childish insults instead of anything that resembles a shred of evidence.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

  3. #48
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    It's pretty cut and dried, there aren't really angles to it.

    I'll get right on buying glocks in every major caliber, then buying several types of JHP, then shooting hogs with all possible combos. I will do this with the money, time, and land I don't have. After I conduct my study, I will have piles of data. It won't be helpful or anything, it'll just be a poorly done rehash of the invalidated Marshall and Sanow studies.

    Or I could just use data that comes from standard testing that eliminates variables and has been verified as an accurate tool simulating human tissue through comparisons to reconstructions of shootings, autopsies, and animal testing.



    Actually it doesn't count because you post childish insults instead of anything that resembles a shred of evidence.
    Just trying to inject some humor, since having the almighty Dr's opinion questioned seems to have gotten you mighty riled.

  4. #49
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    9,135
    Texag, there are variables that the jello doesnt account for. Im not tryin to knock you for looking at jello tests, they are a good source of information telling us what a bulet will do in under controlled conditions. I have spoken of this many times here, and I know some people are tired of it, but ******, its the truth.

    There are variables that will be encountered in real tissue. Bone, a hard, porus material, full of fluid, and somewhat pliable, will screw up a good hollowpoint right now. As a matter of fact, it can act very similar to a ballistic bullet stopping material. Even smaller bones can do this.

    A cartridge with more power and velocity helps when these things are encountered. Combine a few small bones and dense muscle mass, and you would be suprised what a bullet has to overcome.

    Medium light calibers benefit greatly from the extra boost in power. Sectional density always favors the smaller caliber, but it lacks weight and mass, so the velocity is the answer.
    The 357 sig has an advantage over the 9mm, in any comparable loading. Is the gain significant to make up for the price? It depends on the shooter and what he wants.
    But , any advantage cannot be ruled out.

  5. #50
    Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    1,863
    I have a Sig 229 in .40cal with extra 357sig and 9mm barrels. As mentioned the 229 in .40cal will feed all 3 calibres with the same mag. If you can get the factory sig barrel, then do so. As the 229 factory barrels are prohibited up here (to short) we must use aftermarket barrels, which generally means match chambers, which generally means picky about ammo. I am having issues with my Lone wolf 357sig barrel not feeding JHP well, edge of the cavities catch on the bottom of the feedramp (both Berry's and XTP and with various OAL's). i doubt this would be an issue with the factory barrel.

    The round is great to shoot and I find more accurate than .40cal. If you can find a good source of brass the round is only slightly more expensive to reload than 9mm. Note that it needs the proper bullets as normal 9mm 124grs will crimp on the shoulder with the OAL that will fit into the mag, causing setback issues. I am currently using 6.2 grs of Unique behind XTP's and Berry's 124grs (check your own load data before using) When I am not having feed issues I love the round. It does have the same flaw as the .45acp and that is your desire to retrieve every last casing causes premature wear of the knees..


  6. #51
    Member Array Bigpoppa48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eastern NC
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Texag, there are variables that the jello doesnt account for. Im not tryin to knock you for looking at jello tests, they are a good source of information telling us what a bulet will do in under controlled conditions. I have spoken of this many times here, and I know some people are tired of it, but ******, its the truth.

    There are variables that will be encountered in real tissue. Bone, a hard, porus material, full of fluid, and somewhat pliable, will screw up a good hollowpoint right now. As a matter of fact, it can act very similar to a ballistic bullet stopping material. Even smaller bones can do this.

    A cartridge with more power and velocity helps when these things are encountered. Combine a few small bones and dense muscle mass, and you would be suprised what a bullet has to overcome.

    Medium light calibers benefit greatly from the extra boost in power. Sectional density always favors the smaller caliber, but it lacks weight and mass, so the velocity is the answer.
    The 357 sig has an advantage over the 9mm, in any comparable loading. Is the gain significant to make up for the price? It depends on the shooter and what he wants.
    But , any advantage cannot be ruled out.
    What he said

  7. #52
    Senior Member Array Devone6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South of North, North of South
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    It's pretty cut and dried, there aren't really angles to it.
    Agreed. Fact is, you can go to Remington, Speer, Federal, Hornady, or any other major ammunition maker and the 357Sig has about 35% more muzzle energy than a 9mm, and about 25% more muzzle energy than a 9mm+p. Cut and dried, but I'm not posting tables and charts, because each manufacturer aready has and then it is just simple math, no angles to it.

    As for the +p+, which SAAMI does not use/recognize, and some pistol manuals actually state something along the lines of "+p and +p+ accelerates wear and can reduce service life of the gun" (I have two different ones which address that), why push your gun to it's limit, or past it, just to get to where the 357Sig standard load starts?

    You seem to be trying awful hard to convince everyone else posting in this thread the 9mm is comparable on an equal level to the 357Sig, but it is clearly not.

    Hey, nothing wrong with the 9mm, I have a Sig P6 9mm that is great shooting gun, and I will/do carry with it with no reservations, but it is no 357Sig.

    no doubt .357sig is a hot round but confident a 9mm can do the job on a human target if needed
    Yeah, I agree and that pretty well sums it up justherenow, but like posted earlier, every little advantage helps.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

    I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

  8. #53
    Senior Member Array Texag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    Agreed. Fact is, you can go to Remington, Speer, Federal, Hornady, or any other major ammunition maker and the 357Sig has about 35% more muzzle energy than a 9mm, and about 25% more muzzle energy than a 9mm+p. Cut and dried, but I'm not posting tables and charts, because each manufacturer aready has and then it is just simple math, no angles to it.

    As for the +p+, which SAAMI does not use/recognize, and some pistol manuals actually state something along the lines of "+p and +p+ accelerates wear and can reduce service life of the gun" (I have two different ones which address that), why push your gun to it's limit, or past it, just to get to where the 357Sig standard load starts?

    You seem to be trying awful hard to convince everyone else posting in this thread the 9mm is comparable on an equal level to the 357Sig, but it is clearly not.

    Hey, nothing wrong with the 9mm, I have a Sig P6 9mm that is great shooting gun, and I will/do carry with it with no reservations, but it is no 357Sig.



    Yeah, I agree and that pretty well sums it up justherenow, but like posted earlier, every little advantage helps.
    I don't care about muzzle energy, if I did I'd be carrying 115gr super duper high velocity jhps in my 9s. I'm not, I carry 147gr rounds because they penetrate the most. Exterior ballistics are all well and good, but terminal ballistics, performance once the bullet has struck the target, are what I care about in carry ammo. I suspect you did not actually take the time to look into the charts I posted, which were all created by ammunition manufacturers. If you had actually looked at them, you would have seen the best performing 9mm rounds were not +p and +p+, they were standard pressure 147gr rounds. Rounds that have similar if not superior terminal performance to the .357 sig loadings from the same manufacturer.

    You say every little advantage helps. So even if you choose to ignore that .357 sig has not shown a significant performance increase in terminal ballistic testing, you still have to admit the reduced recoil, lower ammo cost, higher capacity, and reduced blast of 9mm are advantages it enjoys over .357 sig.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

  9. #54
    Senior Member Array Devone6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South of North, North of South
    Posts
    654
    I suspect you did not actually take the time to look into the charts I posted
    Yep, you are correct, I can find a chart/table/statistical anaylisis to prove/disprove most any comparision out there. Most every other Dr., PHD, Expert, and John Doe, including me and you obviously, have there own opinion and "chart" to back it up. After over 25 years hunting/shooting, and over 15 years LE/Security/Firearms Instruction, I've looked at enough terminal ballistic, ballistic, "expert" reports, and yada yada yada to pretty much make my decision on calibers. Not to mention some real world incidents I've been involved in which gives a pretty darn good foundation to review calibers, instead of depending on someone else's information which comes from.......someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    You say every little advantage helps. So even if you choose to ignore that .357 sig has not shown a significant performance increase in terminal ballistic testing, you still have to admit the reduced recoil, lower ammo cost, higher capacity, and reduced blast of 9mm are advantages it enjoys over .357 sig.
    reduced recoil, lower ammo cost, higher capacity, and reduced blast of 9mm are advantages it enjoys over .357 sig
    Well obviously, but the above is kinda flawed thinking, cause we can use that to show the advantages the 22lr has over the 9mm too, which we both know is not really an advantage. Bottom line, everyones idea of advantage is subjective, so I agree with you on this.

    As for "no significant performance increase", What can I say...., I guess myself, most every other poster on this thread, and the:
    United States Secret Service
    Federal Air Marshals
    Internal Revenue Service's Criminal Investigation Unit
    ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)
    Treasury Inspector General
    North Carolina State Highway Patrol
    North Carolina DMV Enforcement
    North Carolina Wildlife Enforcement
    New Mexico State Police
    Rhode Island State Police
    Virginia State Police
    South Dakota State Police
    Montana Highway Patrol
    Delaware State Police
    Tennessee Highway Patrol
    Texas Department of Public Safety
    Oklahoma Highway Patrol
    Pennsylvania Game Commission

    Not to mention a large number of smaller agencies, just a few being......
    Paramus Police Department in New Jersey
    Bastrop County Texas Sheriff's Office
    Alameda County Sheriff's Office in CA
    Nashville Metro Police
    Bedford Heights Police Department in Ohio
    Elloree Police Department in South Carolina
    Madison Police Department in Madison, WV
    Lexington Police Department in North Carolina
    Richmond City Sheriff's Office in Virginia
    Wake County Sheriff's Office in North Carolina
    Twin Cities Police Department in CA
    Nags Head Police Department (NC)

    and the:
    Canadian Forces Special Operations Unit Joint Task Force
    Canadian Naval Boarding Units

    And who knows how many more that carry, or have the option to carry, the 357Sig are misled and should have consulted your obviously superior opinion and charts.

    Performance of in the league of a 38Super, 9x23Win, or 357Magnum, all of which generally require a full size weapon, harnessed in a more compact weapon, higher capacity....it's not by chance these agencies switched to the 357Sig, some from the 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm, and at least one from the 357Mag.

    Of course the two remaining state police agencies using the 9mm might agree with you, and the Goverment (Armed Forces), aside from the special forces groups who can choose a different caliber, which almost all have.

    Listen, I'm not bashing the 9mm, I agree they are cheaper to shoot, and are plenty adequate. I just think it is a little odd you have put up such an argument to defend the 9mm compared to the 357Sig in this thread, when the thread wasn't even about that, and the difference is pretty easy to see.

    Maybe you are trying to convince yourself...?

    Anyway, we will agree to disagree, I pretty sure I will not convince you, and I'm positive you will not convince me, so I will bow out.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

    I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

  10. #55
    New Member Array BARobinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kellogg
    Posts
    13
    Why, I see no reason to go with 357 unless you like searching for and paying a large price in ammo. 40S&W is a much better option and if you still really want to go 357 all you will need is to swap out the barrel

  11. #56
    Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    716
    I wouldnt....unless you reload...its too damn expensive....
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

    USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

  12. #57
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
    I wouldnt....unless you reload...its too damn expensive....
    Advantages have a price.

  13. #58
    Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vandergrift PA
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Advantages have a price.
    amen! gotta pay to play!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

  14. #59
    New Member Array BARobinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kellogg
    Posts
    13
    Texag is is a diehard 9mm user. Your not going to change this. I agree 357 is a far better round but if he wants to go 9 let him. I know many people like this and who just cant understand why I hate 9mm. Sure, you get 1-2 rounds more in a magazine but who cares when you have to unload the full mag in center mass to stop someone? I grew up around the military and everyone I knew hated the 9 for that. It has no stopping power. Yeah, yeah, I know its shot placement. Well, why not just use a 22 then if your placement is right it will also do the job. Problem is placement is not easy to get. A person will not just stand there generally while you take aim. If ever he and the others get into a real gun fight, Hopefully never does, and the other guy is using 40,357 45 or similar. They will learn real fast.

  15. #60
    Member Array Lyndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    244
    BA I am going to clarify something, now I do realize the advantage to the .357 SIG but your thought line is slightly flawed. I have spent the vast majority of my adult life in the US Army so I have to say we hate the 9mm round because we are limited to FMJ ammunition which makes it very ineffective. Since I have been out I have carried the 9mm more than anything else and with modern expanding ammunition I am confident in it, well placed shots will put down the threat. If the military would allow us to carry hollowpoint ammunition it would probably change how many of us feel about the 9x19 round.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

.357 sig
,

.357 sig ballistics

,
.357 sig ballistics chart
,

357 sig

,

357 sig ammo

,

357 sig ballistics

,
357 sig ballistics chart
,
ammo price comparison chart
,

bullet caliber chart

,
bullet caliber comparison chart
,
bullet comparison
,

bullet comparison chart

Click on a term to search for related topics.