Talk me into a .357 SIG - Page 5

Talk me into a .357 SIG

This is a discussion on Talk me into a .357 SIG within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for educating me BA. Just FYI, I work for a PD where most of us carry 9mm. I'd tell you to ask the people ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Talk me into a .357 SIG

Thanks for educating me BA. Just FYI, I work for a PD where most of us carry 9mm. I'd tell you to ask the people who've been shot by our department how 124gr Gold Dots performed, but you can't. They're all dead.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Thanks for educating me BA. Just FYI, I work for a PD where most of us carry 9mm. I'd tell you to ask the people who've been shot by our department how 124gr Gold Dots performed, but you can't. They're all dead.
    Mr. Childish Insult here. Which is it that you carry,147gr. per your post #53 or 124gr. per your last post? Just trying to keep things straight.

147gr in personal guns, 124gr in duty gun.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    147gr in personal guns, 124gr in duty gun.
    Would that 125gr. Gold Dot be +P or +P+ ? Once again, just trying to keep things straight.

NO!
    One more step and it's on!

I can't talk you into but EVERY active duty LEO I know perosnally that carries a 357 Sig has fallen truly madly deeply in love with it.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Lyndo never came back to this thread to acknowledge any of the feedback here, so I think it is safe to assume that his interest is now gone in buying a .357 Sig in either of these two Sig pistols as he stated he was going to do a month ago. In fact, he started another thread a couple of weeks later saying that he could not stand the DA/SA trigger pull on Sigs. So it now looks like he is never going to buy any Sig pistols in any caliber.

f you compare penetration and expansion between the major calibers in gello (which is not people) you'll find very similiar results. But the facklerites refuse to acknowledge other effects that can't be easily measured. Hydrostatic shock and velocity. Oh heresy they say! Well velocity kills, it's a fact. The refrain will be pistols don't go fast enough for it to be a factor. Real world results disagree. When you approach and exceed 1400fps it has a major effect on the body. A good podcast by Mas Ayoob and friends discuss the sig here: 055 “We’re Getting the Band Back Together” to discuss the .357SIG cartridge « The ProArms Podcast

From Ammo Lab testing: "He has tested several thousand rounds of the usual 9, 40, 45, etc. When he tested the 357 Sig Winchester Ranger and Remington Golden Saber ammo, it did something only the 10mm Silvertip has been able to do. Both of these rounds cracked the top plate that holds the gelatin blocks in place during testing. It’s obvious that these 357 Sig rounds dump more energy into 12 – 14 inches of gelatin than most other rounds he has tested.
    When he reinforced the top plates, the same two 357 Sig rounds mentioned above then cracked the lower plate. The best 9mm loads, such as the Ranger 127gr +P+ barely created a ripple in the gelatin in comparison."

Texas DPS troopers love the .357 Sig because it has produced the highest fatality rate of violent criminals, much better than anything else they have ever been issued ( including the .45). The 357 Sig has operated at 100% for every single shooting so far.

According to the annual shooting review board files, the 357 Sig is working at 99% for the Delaware State Police, which uses .357 Sig Speer GD ammo.

He also had an opportunity to review the USSS shooting files. They use the Ranger 125 grain load and report it’s the most effective pistol cartridge the USSS has ever been issued.

You can't disregard the effects of velocity just because it's effects are not easily measured or fit your preconceived notions about stopping power. Real world results don't lie.
    “Our lives come from God. So does our right to defend them”
    There is only one gun law in this country, the 2nd Amendment. All else is bureaucratic nonsense that I choose to comply with or not at my discretion.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    9mm+P ammo can somethimes be hard to find and a steady diet is hard on the gun.

One thing the .357 SIG is able to do..is launch the heavy 147 grain bullets at 9mm+P velocity.

The new DT 147 gr. load is 1250fps / 510 ft. lbs. 4"bbl

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=519

On the other end of the scale is the 357Sig 80gr. Barnes TAC-XP
    at a whopping 1755fps from a 4.5" barrel

Reportedly, limited penetration..

Lead free and low flash as well.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=510

Basically, any .357 SIG load performs quite well on the street.

I also wouldn't hesistate to cary any Speer or Hornady .357 SIG load.

Like with Winchester's new new PDX loads and the street proven Ranger..
    along with others like DPX, HST, ect.

We live in a virtual Candy Land of ammo these days.

It's nice to have choices:)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links