Suprised at j frame accuracy but... - Page 2

Suprised at j frame accuracy but...

This is a discussion on Suprised at j frame accuracy but... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You could always use 158g LSWC's at standard pressure. As stated earlier, they should shoot to POA. Although there's no hope of expansion, there's a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suprised at j frame accuracy but...

You could always use 158g LSWC's at standard pressure. As stated earlier, they should shoot to POA. Although there's no hope of expansion, there's a high probability of adequate penetration, certainly more reliably than the 110g. Similar arguments can be made for 148g LWC as well, plus they recoil a bit less than the 158's. (Many consider all these options underpowered, of course.)

Like you, I think it's great when my loads shoot to POA, but I honestly don't worry about that factor overmuch when it comes to pistol SD/HD ammo, especially from a snubby. With ranges short and tons of other challenges to shot placement (movement, stress, return fire, speed of firing multiple shots, convulsive trigger pull, etc.), I figure a few inches is the least of my problems. Then again, full disclosure requires I admit that I practice point shooting a lot, and question whether I'm doing any real sight alignment at bad breath range in actual combat. I freely admit I could be wrong & that many other opinions will differ, but while I recognize that bullet placement is crucial, I think that the best most of us can do in up-close combat is to shoot rapidly into center-mass and hope to hit something crucial--I doubt most of us can place shots within the 3" margin of error caused by your ammo selection, anyway. (Again, under close-combat stess.) Fairbairn & Sykes placed utmost emphasis on speed in getting shots into your opponent's boiler room: whoever does that first has a huge advantage. Makes sense to me.

I would suggest you try some point-shooting without the use of the sights around 10 feet or so and see what you get. You are most likely not going to take the time to line up your sights when you are threatened up close and personal. I have Hogue Bantam boot grips on all my J-Frames. They really redistibute the felt recoil without adding much bulk.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links