Suprised at j frame accuracy but...

This is a discussion on Suprised at j frame accuracy but... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just returned from firing my 642. I had gone to shoot my Glock 26 and before leaving decided to shoot my J frame that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just returned from firing my 642. I had gone to shoot my Glock 26 and before leaving decided to shoot my J frame that was in my pocket. I was firing 5 shots of Hornady Critical Defence 110 std pressure. I was pleased. I shot at 10 yards and 3/5 were in a group I could cover with a quarter but were 3" low, #4 was a 1/2 below that and #5 well lets discuss #5. I guess my question is. I am really happy with the accuracy. I can say my accuracy with my j frame was actually better and more consistant than my 26. I know that I only shot my 642 5 times and my 26 50 so had I continued to shoot my J frame accuracy may have dimensihed. In all reality its the first five shots Im worried about anyway. I guess I have babbled all this to ask. How would I raise point of impact without raising point of aim. Would a heavier bullet have a higher impact point. Dont get me wrong I realize its a snub and for what it is I should be pleased but why. If I go to another bullet that is as accurate and is in the bull all the better. I had chosed the 110 because they were standard pressure and I assume I could get a quicker follow up shot with less recoil. What do you think or recommend?

Heavier bullets will impact higher than lighter bullets, all other things being equal. S&W fixed sights have been traditionally calibrated for 158 grain bullets. Are you positive you were not dipping on shots 4 & 5?

I am not I may have actually been so suprised that 1-3 were touching that I dipped the others. I assume the 3 touching were 1-3.

That is great accuracy, especially hand shooting. I have several j-frames including a 642 and I have never had one shoot a 3 shot group that you could cover with a quarter at 10yds ..... even when using my Ransom rest.

Love my "J" frame.....been shooting it for 35yrs.....usually at the swinging 3" Gongs at our range at 25 yards.
    No problem.......with accuracy.

I regularly carry a 642 during the hotter months here in AZ and have found the Cor-bon 110s to group lower. Have you read the book "Handgun Stopping Power" by Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow? They cover the best one-shop stoppers on the street and in a short-barrelled .38 the best thing going is the 158 SWC-HP. It will definitely place the shots higher. They were the only HPs that consistently mushroomed, too.
    Last edited by Vegashawk; March 24th, 2011 at 04:37 AM. Reason: spelling

I've found that 158 grain .38 Special ammunition shoots to point-of-aim in every Smith & Wesson fixed sight .38 Special revolver I have or have ever fired. The +P 158 grain loads have proved to shoot between an inch and 2 inches lower than standard velocity 158 grain ammunition at 15 yards for me. This is another reason I like the +P 158 grain SWC load for use in .38 Special revolvers used for self defense. I have low expectations with regards to bullet expansion with any .38 Special ammunition product out there and don't like lightweight bullets.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Vegashawk View Post
    Have you read the book "Handgun Stopping Power" by Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow? They cover the best one-shop stoppers on the street and in a short-barrelled .38 the best thing going is the 158 SWC-HP. It will definitely place the shots higher. They were the only HPs that consistently mushroomed, too.
    Evan Marshall / Ed Sanow's book was published in 1992, so I'm not so sure how relevant it is to today. In the last few years, bullet technology has made quantum leaps in performance. The major ammo makers are all in competition for our money, and they are offering some pretty amazing stuff.

There is no such thing as a magic "one shot stopper," in pistol ammo. Some look good on paper and in the lab, which can provide a useful guide for comparison, but once any given bullet leaves the weapon toward a living human target, all bets are off. Things such as distance, shot placement, barriers, clothing, bone deflection, muscle resistance, narcotics influence, etc. can all effect bullet performance.

In looking up the book mentioned above, I discovered (surprise) an online forum entitled; Stopping Power.net. StoppingPower.net Forums That may be an interesting place to browse.

The shot group described by camsdaddy is very much acceptable for combat accuracy. An argument can be made for spreading out self defense shots, so as to effect a greater number of vital organs and arteries. That's one reason 12 gage 00 buck is so effective. Bullet weight and velocity definitely will effect accuracy, which is why shooting your carry ammo from time-to-time is important.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Ex Member
    I also shoot a lot of the 148 gr wadcutters in my J frames. Not target accurate but pretty accurate for SD ranges.

I shoot 158gr rounds in my snub 38s and I've achieved great accuracy with them from 10 to 25 yards. When I can hit bowling pins laying on their side shot after shot from 20 yards, I'm pretty happy with it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

were these groups staged??? or were these a quick double action pull that would typically be used in a true defense situation? I try to practice without staging the trigger, cause in a life and death situation, you wont have time to do that. In any case, it sounds like you have awesome trigger control with groups like those... much better than i can do. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Administrator
    An interesting FYI is that installing a set of Pachmayr "Decelerator" grips (which are great BTW) will allow the POI to raise up a bit.

VIP Member
    I don't own a J frame but have rented them a few times. I really like the hammer-less stuff such as the airweight.

I have no problem handling that. Others do. YMMV.

I have several J-frames including the 8-shot .22. My best shot with my M640 was a ground squirrel at about 20 yards. I was using Magnum 125HP. My buddy exclaimed, "Dude! I saw chunks!" The exit hole was about 1-1/2". I was very pleased to be able to do that with a DAO trigger. BTW, I've got Wolff springs in all my Js. Makes a heck of a difference.

My best shot with my M640 was a ground squirrel
    Aren't you the big hero! Killing wildlife just 'cause you feel like it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links