G26 vs +P Ammo

This is a discussion on G26 vs +P Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone shoot +P ammo in their G26? Would be interested in any pros and/or cons? I've been thinking about trying some Speer Gold Dot 124Gr ...

Thread: G26 vs +P Ammo

G26 vs +P Ammo

Anyone shoot +P ammo in their G26? Would be interested in any pros and/or cons?

I've been thinking about trying some Speer Gold Dot 124Gr +P, but didn't know if it might be a little too "snappy."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I carry 124 grain +P gold dots in mine. It's a little snappy but not uncontrollable by any means. I also try to practice with 124 gr NATO so that I'm used to the recoil

VIP Member
    That's what I carry in my G26. Crush support hand grip, shooting forearm parallel to the ground so it can push instead of flip and let 'er rip.

I am no fan of Glock however I wouldn't be concerned with using whatever flavor of "enhanced" 9mm ammunition for concealed carry duty. Brother-in-law loves Glocks and shoots all manner of loads through his including handloads of fairly "immense" proportions. He is cognizant of the issues surrounding .40 and .45 caliber models but the 9mm guns seem inured to everything he's run through them.

It isn't necessary to practice extensively with high-dollar, high performance ammunition despite what some claim. An inexpensive standard velocity load can be found that will approximate point-of-impact of +P offerings of similar bullet weight out to any reasonable range at which one would choose to practice. Just verify point-of-impact with one's chosen +P load and familiarize with it. Then gather up some cheap stuff of the same bullet weight and go shooting. Save dollars and potential wear. I'd certainly be willing to carry a 9mm Glock with +P. In fact, some sort of +P would be my choice.

I've not found any +P 9mm that was really snappier than similar standard velocity ammunition but I shoot heavy steel 9mms. If the +P was a bit punishing then standard velocity ammunition would be fine for self defense. After all, good hits are good hits and and an assailant could be said to be having a bad day if fairly struck with any 9mm.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

+p ammo is not a problem for glocks. I have some L7A1 Nato which is about +p+ and it eats it up.

My carry gun is the 26 and my carry load is the Ranger 127grain +p+.......the glock shoots them with no problems, and no stiffer recoil than +p or NATO, to me at least....

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    124 +p and 115 +P+ Gold gots are what I carry in mind. Both are very accurate and recoil isn't bad. I perfer the 124gr flavor but when it isn't available I go with the 115 +P+.

Quote Originally Posted by oldglockfan View Post
    Anyone shoot +P ammo in their G26? Would be interested in any pros and/or cons?

I've been thinking about trying some Speer Gold Dot 124Gr +P, but didn't know if it might be a little too "snappy."
    My 150# 63 year old Mom with ever so mildly arthritic hands carries this very same round in her G26 and her PM9 with no issues and can keep a saucersized grouping rapidfire at roughly 15'.

It's the way Granny rolls.

I don't think you'd have any issues with this rounds snappiness.

Dirty

I run Corbon 124+p through my 26 and have no issues at all. I have run alot of the exact load you speak of through it and have had zero issues. I went with the corbon because I got a good deal on a bunch of it.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

I am a Glock certified armorer and your +P is 41,500 psi and +P+ 42,000 and change Glocks are rated 43,000 psi
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

Thanks to all for the comments - very helpful indeed.

Glock 26 handles +p ammo v ery nicely. I shoot Corbon 115+p with not much added recoil & accuracy is very good!

Thats exactly what my Wife carries in hers@5'7" and 130 she's o.k. with it.

124gr+P GDHPs in G26? Sounds good to me. Practice what you carry.

carrying 124gr +P Remington Golden Sabers in my G26 today. Hey, they were on sale.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Links