Do you measure or weigh your defensive carry ammo?

This is a discussion on Do you measure or weigh your defensive carry ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that factory loaded ammo is tremendously reliable with modern manufacturing and quality systems. However, I have seen no less than a dozen bullets ...

Thread: Do you measure or weigh your defensive carry ammo?

I know that factory loaded ammo is tremendously reliable with modern manufacturing and quality systems. However, I have seen no less than a dozen bullets come out of the box that were seated too low or weight was off significantly.

I've always checked my defensive ammo with mics and even weighed them just to be sure. Anyone else do this?

No. I look at them as they are loaded, but have better things to do them weigh them.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Nope. I don't see a valid reason to weigh or measure my defensive ammo. I have shot about 50 boxes of my defensive ammo brand and model (Remington Golden Saber in .38+P, 9mm and .40 S&W) and have yet to have a dud in 1,250 rounds I have fired through them. I have only had duds with reloaded ammo and cheap ammo like Aguila that I use for practice.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Weighed them, but not for that reason, I was just curious really...and for knowing how much X amount of ammo would weigh.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

No, just a visual inspection.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

No, I don't. It is something to consider, but it is down the list on concerns.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    No, just a visual inspection.
    +1. This.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWinCleve View Post
    I know that factory loaded ammo is tremendously reliable with modern manufacturing and quality systems. However, I have seen no less than a dozen bullets come out of the box that were seated too low or weight was off significantly.

I've always checked my defensive ammo with mics and even weighed them just to be sure. Anyone else do this?
    Not every brass case weighs the same,and even bullets from a box don't weigh the same,I reload on good equipment and OAL can deviate a few thousandths overall.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nope I just look at how pretty the golden sabers are when they get loaded into the 9, .40, .45s. The hornadys .357s I use just look funny to me but that's just me.

Don't weigh them, but I do inspect for bullet seating and primer misplacement. So far in 40+ years, I've not found any defective rounds from factory. I buy only US made, major brand ammo which may account for that. I found some in batches I reloaded many moons ago, when I was doing that.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    With all the recent recalls of factory ammo combined with other reported issues with Factory loads, it kind of shoots a hole in the "reliability" factor of commercial rounds. They check a percentage of loads and samples.

In the many, many, many, many (and so forth) reloads I've made, I've had exactly one dud--a failed primer--and zero squibs. That kind of shoots a hole in the "unreliability" factor of reloads. I check each load individually.

Every commercial rounds I use gets a one-time insp for obvious defects, but no weighing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsored Links