Defensive Carry banner

What ammo do you carry?

16K views 99 replies 84 participants last post by  cockedlocked01 
#1 ·
Right now i carry:

9MM winchester STX 147 gr

.40 S&W winchester 180 gr

I like the way both rounds shoot from my guns, there sare no doubt better rounds out now, and i believe that i will be switching to the corbon DPX line for all of my CCW ammo soon.

Has any here tried any of this new corbon DPX?

#9 ·
Since I live in the tropics, and I worry about T-N-T (Thru-n-Thru) penetrations, I usually carry prefrangibles like Glaser Silver or MagSafe or RBCD for my .40 and .45's. My next layer (what I carry in backup mags) is Federal Hydra-Shok 185 gr or "Plus-P" CorBons.

#16 ·
I carry my handloads in my P32. Currently, that's a 60gr GoldDot at 1000fps. Accuracy is great. My weak attempts at penetration testing show decent penetration and lots of destruction. I'm currently working on a new load using Hornady's 85gr XTP. 900fps is doable. Accuracy and penetration testing to come later.

In my 9mm, I carry Winchester Ranger T 147gr.

In my 357mag, I carry my my handload consisting of a 180gr XTP at 1300fps. That's more of a camping/hiking carry gun though.

I load Federal's +P 158gr LSWC-HP into my S&W 36.

Chris

#23 ·
147 gr 9mm jhp's don't expand much, if at all

in flesh, when fired from short barrels. So what you have is a .38 lrn load, in a pocket 9mm. That load was known as the "widow-maker", because of all the thousands of times it failed to stop an attack, with chest hits.

#24 ·
Originally posted by meme
147 gr 9mm jhp's don't expand much, if at all in flesh, when fired from short barrels. So what you have is a .38 lrn load, in a pocket 9mm. That load was known as the "widow-maker", because of all the thousands of times it failed to stop an attack, with chest hits.
Yea, once I got shot in the chest three times, but luckily it was just 147 gr 9mm JHP's. I dug them out with my knife. Never even bothered going to the hospital. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.