.45 question.

This is a discussion on .45 question. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to pick up a gun chambered in .45 ACP later in the year. I am torn between the SIG 220 and a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: .45 question.

.45 question.

I am going to pick up a gun chambered in .45 ACP later in the year. I am torn between the SIG 220 and a 1911. The SIG I am looking at comes with either a 4.4 inch barrel or 3.9 inch barrel. My other choice, the 1911, could be had in a 5 in barrel or a 4 in (give or take a quarter of an inch)barrel. I looking at for HD and ccw. How much would the aforementioned barrel lengths effect the effectiveness of the .45 cartridge. Any information would be welcome.

2. Remove Ads

With the 45acp, it is not effected as much by barrel length as other cartidges such as magnums that use a slower burning powder. You are looking at 50fps to an extreme of 100fps, and I think that is being very liberal in estimation.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    If its for HD, forget the .45 and pick up a shotgun. for cc, you could go either way. they 'll probably have the same capacity (8+1 give or take) which is why I'd consider an xd 45, G21,
    (13+1) or fnp 45(15+1). The xd is IMO the best for cc coz of the size and is much slimmer than G21. Shootem all and find whats best for you.

The 1911, specifically the 5" gov't size, was designed around the .45 ACP.

And being the centennial year of such, you should do your duty and purchase a 1911
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yep XD great choice as is Springfield EMP in 45. Tack driver! If just for shooting I love the FN 45 tactical or any good 1911. Do not notice any difference in barrel length around accuracy. Just size and weight.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I've carried the Colt Combat Commander 1911 (4 inch 45 acp steel), the Colt Commander 1911 (alloy 4 inch 45 ACP), the 1911 Colt Mark 70 5 Inch, and the Glock 21 45 ACP ... here's my experiences:
    of the 3 for quick draw and point shooting ... the 4 inch 1911 cleared the holster faster but had a pretty strong recoil on the single wrist at the hip for both the steel and especially the alloy frames. The Glock 21 was more comfortable shooting, but really FAT with 13 rounds of 45 ACP inside my pants ... lots of cops now carry it as a duty weapon, and the 1911's 5 inch model's recoil was nice, but really pretty long to be pulled out of the pants at the hip level (tactical SWAT on the leg was great though) ....

Whatever you get ........ practice with it . . . a lot .... take one technique per day for 1 hour of honest practice using the right techniques ... perfect that and memorize it in heart, sole, mind, and muscles, then move to the next stage of your practice.

And I agree, stay with the American brands and celebrate the Aniversary of the 1911 ...

Be Safe Always ,,

Greg Knox
    Harryball likes this.
    Train Hard, Fight Smart, Because In Self Defense, There Is NO 2nd Place Winner

Greg Knox
    HGR Firearms Instruction

Ballistically: the guys who did the "Ballistics By the Inch" experiment tested 10 .45 ACP rounds from 165 to 230 grains, including some hot Cor-Bon +Ps. [For those unfamiliar with the experiment, a single-shot barrel was tested with a range of ammo and sequentially cut down in length to see the effects of barrel length on velocity. Starting with an 18" barrel, they cut it down an inch at a time to 2".]

The maximum decrease in velocity from a 5" barrel to a 4" was 7%, and the average decrease was about 4%. Since energy is a function of the square of velocity, the means the worst case reduction in muzzle energy going from 5" to 4" was 13%. In practical terms - nothing to be concerned about.

From my personal experience, I started with a 5-inch 1911, then my next .45 was a Sig 220. Since then, 2 more 1911s, one full-size (Springfield TRP) and one Commander-size (Kimber CDP Pro). The Sig was the most accurate out-of-the-box handgun I've owned, and its reliability is as good as my Glock's. That said, my hand just loves the feel of the 1911, and for me, cocked-and-locked single action is more natural than DA with decocker.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Just run with a quality, heavyweight (230gr) JHP that your gun and you like, and you'll be just fine.
    Old School and westcobb like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The Sig 220 is an awesome firearm. If it is primarily a concealed carry gun, I would look at the P220 Compact. The P220 Carry is a good compromise, but the full size rocks.

I can highly recommend any number of 1911 offerings. Les Baer, Wilson Combat, and Ed Brown have excellent guns. Try both the Commander style (4" to 4.25" barrel length) or the full-size (generally 5") to see which you like the best.

Colt and Springfield make great production 1911s. I personally stay away from the Colt Series 80 models, but that is just my preference.

Sig and S&W both make great 1911 style handguns. They offend purists, because of the external extractors, but are well designed and I have found them highly reliable.

On the low end of 1911s, Rock Island makes a great gun for the money. I would stick with the tactical models, because the sights are much easier to replace.

If you are a Glock fan, then their model 21, 30, and 36 are fine weapons. I can't get used to the grip angle on Glocks, but that is just me. I have tried, but they just don't work for me.

IMHO, the best compact .45ACP available now is the HK 45C. It offers, at least for me, the most versatile platform for both carry and home defense. The USP45C is also excellent, but the 45C is a little more refined.

Not on your list, but I am a huge fan of the Springfield XDs and XDMs. Can't go wrong there.

Any thoughts on the SA Mil-spec?

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    With the 45acp, it is not effected as much by barrel length as other cartidges such as magnums that use a slower burning powder. You are looking at 50fps to an extreme of 100fps, and I think that is being very liberal in estimation.
    I agree! with the 45ACP at combat distances it will have little to no effect on the performance of the round. Remember OP this round was designed to be big and wide and move slow, sure there are lots of new ammo out there that does this or that with different weights and +P ratings, but for 10 yards and under 230grains @ 800fps works very VERY well.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Glockman10mm, there is a largish African elephant right behind you. You can see him if you turn and look over your left shoulder.

Just sayin' in case you needed to know.
    oneshot and ShadeAngel like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Glockman10mm, there is a largish African elephant right behind you. You can see him if you turn and look over your left shoulder.

Just sayin' in case you needed to know.
    Hey thanks for the warning,lol. I was pretty nervous about getting that pic made. It was a big cow with a calf, and it was bearing down on me while I was waiting for my wife to take the pic. It couldnt have been 10 feet behind me, and just a step or two for it to take.

South Africa 2009 707.jpg Heres a pic of the calf knocking us away from momma. They are cool and amazing animals.
    Dragman likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Kinda depends on what you are willing to spend?

For my money nothing I own shoots as well as Ed Brown's Executive Carry. However, it cost $2000 more than my Sig P220 SAO Compact. Both shot flawlessly and any Ammunition I feed them.
    Don't worry about ballistics. Both will handle Hydra-Shok 185 or 230 grain ammo without any issues.

The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Sig sauer P220 sao vs 1911 ?

Hey fiddlers,
    Whoever sold you that 1911, cheated you, it is missing part of the grip!
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links