40 S&W ammo

This is a discussion on 40 S&W ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up my new carry gun, a SIG 229 E2 40 S&W. Now to open up an old can of worms: ammo recommendations. All ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 40 S&W ammo

40 S&W ammo

Just picked up my new carry gun, a SIG 229 E2 40 S&W. Now to open up an old can of worms: ammo recommendations. All makes and weights will be considered. This will be carry ammo. Am leaning toward Gold Dot ammo, Golden Saber ammo, or Federal's latest. Will roll my own hardball for the range. Let me know what you think. Many thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I try to stick with the Hornady Critical Defense and Gold Dots. There are a lot of other good offerings, but these have performed the best in my testing.

180 grain Speer Gold Dot or 180 grain bonded Winchester are my favorites.
    CharlesMorri likes this.

My SR40 has golden sabers just like all my other semi-auto pistols. 180 bjhp. No real reason why other than they always feed for me and always go bang in any of my guns. I also prefer the heavier offerings if they can be had.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I am partial to the Winchester Ranger loads, same basic thing as black talons. its a law enforcement designed round so it also prevents a judge, jury, or prosecutor from trying to use your ammunition to hang you in court
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    You will be in excellent hands with Remington Golden Saber 180-grain, Speer Gold Dot 180-grain, Federal Hydra-Shok 180-grain, Hornady Critical Defense 165-grain or Winchester Ranger T 180-grain. These seem to be the top self-defensive ammo and the most used by American Law Enforcement Agencies.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of .38/.357 , 9mm , .40 and the like listing all suitable SD ammo.
    some newer styles have come out since, but this give a good idea.

If the folks at the psychic hotlines were really psychic, wouldn't they call you first?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I would go with the heaviest hollowpoint that your gun is 100% reliable with and you can control.

My personal experience wit the Golden Sabers is that they produce the absolute tightest groups of any round I've tried. BUT they have a different Point Of Impact than every other round I tried.

BTW That's why I stick with Winchester. I prefer Rangers, if I can't find them the SXTs (if you can find them), then the Silver Tips, and finally hardball (you can typically find WWB at WalMart). They all have the same Point Of Aim / Point Of Impact in my experience.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

VIP Member
    I'd like to hear of experience with the 135 gr

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    My personal experience wit the Golden Sabers is that they produce the absolute tightest groups of any round I've tried. BUT they have a different Point Of Impact than every other round I tried.
    I agree. Also, Remington Golden Sabers have a lot of muzzle flash. I carry GS in all of my pistols (.38, .380, 9mm and .40 S&W), but I am thinking about switching to Speer Gold Dot, Cor-Bon DPX or Federal Hydra-Shok as soon as my current ammo stockpile runs out. Which of these would you all recommend? I really like Winchester Ranger T-Series, but unfortunately they do not sell them in Costa Rica.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I agree. Also, Remington Golden Sabers have a lot of muzzle flash. I carry GS in all of my pistols (.38, .380, 9mm and .40 S&W), but I am thinking about switching to Speer Gold Dot, Cor-Bon DPX or Federal Hydra-Shok as soon as my current ammo stockpile runs out. Which of these would you all recommend? I really like Winchester Ranger T-Series, but unfortunately they do not sell them in Costa Rica.
    My wife and I carry Golden Saber in our guns, both 165gr. We have not seen a big muzzle flash. In fact the Golden Saber even says in this specs that it is designed to produce very little muzzle flash.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I keep my .40 loaded with 180 gr Gold Dots. Just seem to work the best in my gun.

VIP Member
    If the Sig has a partially unsupported chamber I would not use 180 gr.
    But this is just me.

40 S&W ammo

Hornady TAP FPD 180 or PDX 180 or WST 155 or Corbon 135 or Critical Defense 165 or Critical Duty 175..

Any good, modern HP design will do the job... I love all of the above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links