Speer Gold Dots

Speer Gold Dots

This is a discussion on Speer Gold Dots within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This question may have been asked and answered before. If so, bear with me. I've been carrying 185 grain Gold Dots in my Sig P-220. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By Old School

Thread: Speer Gold Dots

Speer Gold Dots

This question may have been asked and answered before. If so, bear with me.

I've been carrying 185 grain Gold Dots in my Sig P-220. I like them and they function fine in the gun. (Actually just about anything seems to function in the gun)

Now I see 200 grain +P Gold Dots and also 230 grain Gold Dots without the +P designation.

I assume the +P's have more powder and the difference between the 185, 200, 230 grain ammo is the weight of the bullet. Is that correct and does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

I would avoid the 200 gr +P stuff. I can't find the link anymore, but I recently read some informal test someone did with the 200 gr +P gold dots. None of them expanded, or expanded very poorly.

Also, you're right. Personally, I prefer the 230 gr Gold Dots. I don't know if there's enough of a difference for +P to justify the extra recoil.

I haven't shot the other stuff, but I have put a box of the 230 gr loads through my Springfield GI. No failures and really tight groups, much tighter than the Federal American Eagle FMJ I was also shooting that day. I'd load my guns with it in a heartbeat.

Thanks. I'll probably stay away from the +P and try a box or two of the 230 grain just to see how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I would avoid the 200 gr +P stuff. I can't find the link anymore, but I recently read some informal test someone did with the 200 gr +P gold dots. None of them expanded, or expanded very poorly.

Also, you're right. Personally, I prefer the 230 gr Gold Dots. I don't know if there's enough of a difference for +P to justify the extra recoil.
    This wasn't informal,. this was a formal test: 200gr+P gold Dot
    The 200+P gold Dot did not fare well.

I'd go with the standard velocity 230 Gold Dot, m'self...
    JOHNSMITH and oneshot like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I carry 230 grain Gold Dots or 230 grain Golden Sabers in my G-21 and G-36 and like em just fine. Both are proven performers.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Humm, I'm surprised that the +P's failed to expand yet the 230 grain at a slower speed does. I wonder if it's the size of the hollow point hole or what?

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Humm, I'm surprised that the +P's failed to expand yet the 230 grain at a slower speed does. I wonder if it's the size of the hollow point hole or what?
    Hollow points perform to spec within certain parameters. Velocity being one of the parameters. Seems like the velocity may be the issue here.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I carry the 230gr Gold Dots in my G21, My personal opinion, for what its' worth, the +P's are too snappy. The standard pressure 230 Gr is a nice soft shooting round. I hadn't seen the trials on the 200Gr +P's. the ones I tried into some wet pack a few years back, all expanded just fine. not disputing the findings, just me observations.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

End result looked rather nasty here;

YouTube - Ammo test .45 ACP - 200 Gr +P Gold Dot

I guess it boils down to do you believe you'll have a need for the extra velocity for penetration thru barriers or such. Honestly, for your 220, I think the 230gr is right where you want to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HNSS7tomtw
    Last edited by Fastball; April 7th, 2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Bad Link
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

sgb
    230gr standard load Gold Dot
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Thanks for the responses. It looks like the 230 grain Gold Dot wins the vote and will be my choice. You hope that you never find yourself in a self defense situation. You prepare in the event that you are. You hope that you've made the right choice of weapon, caliber, and ammunition because, if you're wrong, the consequences will probably be unacceptable. Thanks again for the input.

45 +P Speers are hot and not really needed IMHO. I had some and after shooting a few for function checks, I shot them all and never went back to them. They are a hot load and throw off accuracy compared to the regular powder charge. As far as to the expansion difference I have no clue.

Sponsored Links