Store 10mm not much better than 40 S&W?

This is a discussion on Store 10mm not much better than 40 S&W? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know much on the issue, so I go to those who might know more. Is it true that store bought / factory 10mm ...

Thread: Store 10mm not much better than 40 S&W?

I don't know much on the issue, so I go to those who might know more. Is it true that store bought / factory 10mm rounds have been watered (powdered) down to the point that they provide about the same performance as a 40 S&W?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

It depends on the brand. Some are similar to 40s, some are as hot as 41 magnums.

Pretty much.

About the only major brand 10mm that is near the top of it's game is the 175gr Winchester Silvertip.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Most of the stuff you'll find at Sportsman's Warehouse, Academy, Dicks, and Walmart are 40 ish. Double Tap and a select others are the only source for full power 10mm loads
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Pretty much.

About the only major brand 10mm that is near the top of it's game is the 175gr Winchester Silvertip.
    This is exactly right.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

So it is true...hmmm. So there must be a good number out there, with 10mm, while using many store bought ammo, are missing the bigger picture a bit. I'm guessing 10mm requires a little reloading then, considering practice ammo at the right SD power range & $.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

There are people who make 10mm in full power. My favorite is Double Tap, owned by Mike McNett who was the one who originally began producing full power 10mm ammo, and as far as I'm concerned, it was his effort that brought the 10mm back to what it is now. Since then, others have jumped on the bandwagon, but Double Tap was started up initially for the sole purpose of supplying real 10mm power.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Doubletap ammo is the way to go. I shoot every week, at least 100 rounds of 9mm. Every other week I'll shoot 10mm as well, one week I'll shoot the 200g Blazer. The next cycle I'll shoot a Doubletap load. You can feel the difference. Granted the Blazer 200g load is only like 1000 fps I think out of my G29 barrel. The only other ammo that felt "as hot" as some of the Doubletap ammo was a 180g American Eagle load I shot at a new range with some friends since they didn't have any Blazer to shoot. I haven't looked up the specs on it yet.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Epi
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Round Type Weight Muzzle Energy (ftlbs.) Muzzle Velocity (fps)
    10mm Swat 46 588 2400

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Epi View Post
    Round Type Weight Muzzle Energy (ftlbs.) Muzzle Velocity (fps)
    10mm Swat 46 588 2400

What?
    They use little pellets or fragments instead of a JHP. The theory is that it creates more little holes that have a better chance of hitting a small vital organ, while also having shorter penetration. The advantage of less penetration is that more of the kinetic energy is delivered in a shorter amount of time, creating a larger ballistic pressure wave. There is some (highly contested) evidence showing that the ballistic pressure wave can cause rapid incapacitation. They label it as a SWAT load because it is not likely to over-penetrate and harm innocent bystanders, although I doubt any SWAT teams actually use it. Although the performance in ballistic gelatin looks devastating, it is much more likely to be deflected by bone or not penetrate the rib cage.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    They guy has some bad calculations on his page.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I've been shooting 10mms, specifically Glocks, for about 10 yrs.

I shoot them in competition (GSSF, USPSA, steel challenge) and I carry them.

It's an incredible cartridge, if you reload. Your variety is constrained a little, if you don't. Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, Swamp Fox, Norma & Winchester 175gr Silver Tips are the "Hotter" manufactured loads. The remaining manufacturers making 155gr/180gr 10mm loads are comparable to what you see in a .40 S&W, in terms of comparing velocity.

Reloading is where you can exploit what the cartridge offers.

I can reload a steel challenge load, w/a 135gr bullet; just enough to "sound" the steel.

I can make a 200gr Hornady XTP @ 1250 fps for hunting or a 155gr Barnes TAC-XP @ 1400 fps for carry. FYI, I'm using a KKM barrel (ie fully supported) and Wolff 21lb recoil spring & guide rod when shooting the "nuclear" loads.

Good shooting
    Sua Sponte

Sponsored Links