what are your thoughts for the best 9mm defensive ammo? - Page 2

what are your thoughts for the best 9mm defensive ammo?

This is a discussion on what are your thoughts for the best 9mm defensive ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I prefer the heaviest bullet available unless it presents reliable cycling issues in a semi-auto. It's just what I have always done. No scientific rationale, ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: what are your thoughts for the best 9mm defensive ammo?

I prefer the heaviest bullet available unless it presents reliable cycling issues in a semi-auto. It's just what I have always done. No scientific rationale, just habit.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

what are your thoughts for the best 9mm defensive ammo?
    Just to keep it simple...........what are our troops using? Whatever our service members are using for their defensive loads in 9mm should be good enough for the rest of us and the best that can be found. Now you know how much we've been over-thinking things for so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Just to keep it simple...........what are our troops using?
    Ummm... I wouldn't go that route. NATO is a bit conservative on the terminal efficacy of ammunition. I prefer not to carry ball ammo...
    snakyjake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ooxlinusxoo View Post
    Ummm... I wouldn't go that route. NATO is a bit conservative on the terminal efficacy of ammunition. I prefer not to carry ball ammo...
    Agreed here. The only reason our troops use ball is because they are mandated to and over penetration is good in a military combat enviornment.

Good looking bully you got ooxlinusxoo !
    snakyjake likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    I just have not had any problems with any of the 147 gr or 124 gr 9mm ammo that I have shot over the years....The BG that gets a double tap COM won't complain that the bullet was to heavy or to light ...I don't think.......but there is always the "maybe"

Just to keep it simple...........what are our troops using? Whatever our service members are using for their defensive loads in 9mm should be good enough for the rest of us and the best that can be found. Now you know how much we've been over-thinking things for so many years.

really??? i would not be carrying ball rounds around for self defense. i personally think all NATO ammo sucks, i have handled it all from .556-.50, and i really think we can do a a lot better. In the community that i work we are starting to get it right but the big Corps needs to get it together and follow suit.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

As long as my gun will reliably feed them, either 124gr or 147gr rounds are fine with me. I still believe the greatest determination in any gun fight is shot placement, not caliber, round weight or magazine capacity. I'll take a single well placed hit with a .22 over a bunch of misses or grazing wounds with a .45 or anything else any day.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I keep the Federal HST 124 gr. +P in my nightstand gun, a SIG SP2022. I've shot it and the 147 gr. HST and both fired flawlessly but the lighter rounds were more accurate in my gun for some reason so I go with them.

If the gun can digest +P's I go with 124's if it can't I use 147 Std. pressure. ALL of the Premium JHP from the major companies works well now.

10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    "Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow" 2 problems right there..
    ???? i just read the book Stopping Power and it was very informative. do you know either of these guys?
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Personally? No.

But when their data turns up to be falsified...there's a problem.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

CL
    Yea, I wouldnt do that. Im in the service and currently deployed and all the M9's here are loaded with Ball Ammo. I dont know where someone came up with over penetration is a good thing in this environment. Yea, i can see that in certain situations but most of the time it leads to collateral damage and thats never a good thing if it can be avoided.

Id stick with the defense loads Hornady, Federal and all the rest are producing for everyday conceal carry for defensive purposes. I personally love Hornady TAP ammo, but thats just my personal preferance.

I am sure this will bring about a multitude of flames, but here goes.
    First of all, I believe there have been great strides in bullet technology, and it is not all hype.
    But I believe marketing and psychological "leading" has taken the place of marksmanship and confidence. I believe some people rely on their choice of "Magic Bullet" enough that if they ran out and had to use "Ball", they would feel inadequate and inferior, and probably lose the fight. Discussions are great and a lot can be learned from them. I just don't believe we should lose sight of the fact that the gunman wins the fight, not some "magic bullet". I am not the best shot in the world, but I maintain the premise that if I do my part, my gun works, and the round in question goes "bang" correctly, I can persevere.

I do not have a problem carrying ball, LSWC, HP, FP, or a .22 for that matter. I may not be armed for all situations, but I AM armed and a force to be reckoned with.

The OP asked for thoughts, there they are,

Terry

Let the flames begin........
    Blackheart6 and Oreste like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Personally? No.

But when their data turns up to be falsified...there's a problem.
    where has it been falsified? links or books please

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links