what are your thoughts for the best 9mm defensive ammo? - Page 6

what are your thoughts for the best 9mm defensive ammo?

This is a discussion on what are your thoughts for the best 9mm defensive ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic Have you tried Underwood Ammo? Its reliable & cheaper then Doubletap & they use Gold Dot ammo. Here's their link- 9mm ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: what are your thoughts for the best 9mm defensive ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Have you tried Underwood Ammo? Its reliable & cheaper then Doubletap & they use Gold Dot ammo.
    Here's their link- 9mm Luger +P+ 124 Grain Gold Dot Jacket Hollow Point Box of 50

Home > Pistol Ammunition > 9mm Luger > 9mm Luger +P+ 124 Grain Gold Dot Jacket Hollow Point Box of 50
    Went to their site and read a few reviews and looks to be a good product.......I'm "Old School" and it's hard to get me to change from something that I know works and DT has proven itself to me for years.....I'm even using their rifle loads since I've moved off the ranch and I'm no longer reloading. I like their customer service, as well......any time I've got a question, they give me the time I want.....not just try to pacify me and get me off the phone like so many of them do! But thanks for the info... Good to know there are other quality ammo producers, especially cheaper, if the need arises!
    Last edited by TXOutfitter; June 15th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Have you tried Underwood Ammo? Its reliable & cheaper then Doubletap & they use Gold Dot ammo.
    Here's their link- http://www.underwoodammo.com/9mmluge...boxof50-2.aspx

Home > Pistol Ammunition > 9mm Luger > 9mm Luger +P+ 124 Grain Gold Dot Jacket Hollow Point Box of 50
    I am carrying it in my 9mm. Very accurate, excellent new brass cases and I weighed a dozen rounds and all were right on. This shows excellent QC. The Gold Dot bullet has a long history of verifiable street use as well. It also is available in hot loads (+p+) as well as standard.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Addressing the OP's question about the efficacy of 9mm bullets over 125 grains, from what I've read and observed, with the more recently developed bullet designs (HST, Gold Dot, Ranger, Golden Saber etc.), the heavier rounds should work fine, in terms of attaining optimal penetration and expansion. The article that the OP linked to was probably referring to the older 147 grain bullet designs that had a reputation for erratic expansion and a tendency to overpenetrate.

FWIW, I largely agree with YouTube user tnoutdoors9's stated practice of using 124 grain +P rounds during the warmer months (warmer weather --> people wear less clothes that a bullet has to penetrate to be effective; lower bullet weight --> less penetration), and 147 grain during the colder months (colder weather --> more clothing to penetrate; higher bullet weight --> more penetration). However, various law enforcement agencies issue the Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P year-round and I haven't heard about any winter-specific stopping power failure horror stories, so I could just be talking out my butt here.

For the record, I currently have 147 grain Gold Dots in my M&P9, as I personally prefer Gold Dots and that's was what the local gun shop had in stock when I had money to spend on ammo.

As I'm sure was said somewhere in this thread, trying to find THE objective "best" just doesn't work, as each of us has different variables to contend with. "Best" for me may not be the "best" for someone else. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    i read this article:
    Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

the part that talks about 9mm states this:
    "I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains"

what are your thoughts on this? i have never heard this until i read this article.
    I realize this thread is originally over a year old but I'll share my 2 cents.

This article has many good, valid points but there are a lot of dated invalid opinions such as "The 10mm is not living up to expectations" the author's views on 9mm ammunition are pretty interesting... the bad kind of interesting.
    Recommending old bullet designs like Silvertips and Hydra-shocks is not good. Those bullets do not perform nearly as well as modern bullet designs like Ranger-Ts or HSTs. He also says the Federal 9BP load is "the world standard". While it certainly isn't the worst load, there are many better loads to carry since 20 years ago. The author also advocates carrying lighter weight bullets for most of the calibers in the article. For 9mm, this is another view that is 20-30 years too old. The modern view is that mid to heavy weight 9mm rounds superior to lighter bullets. Modern heavy bullets are far better than what they were in the 90's. I currently carry 147gr.

Also, separating handguns into classes by how well he thinks they will feed defensive ammo is bogus.
    sgb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nick060200 View Post
    i read this article:
    Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

the part that talks about 9mm states this:
    "I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains"

what are your thoughts on this? i have never heard this until i read this article.
    my thoughts are this guy is stupid. i use federal 9mm hst 147g and it works perfect and hits hard and accurate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

what are your thoughts for the best 9mm defensive ammo?

There are a number of respected ammo brands out there. In my own research on the topic Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST (standard pressure or +P depending on the variables) keep coming up as favorites of both LE agencies & private citizens. Hornady Critical Duty & the 'ole granddaddy Federal HydraShok also receive positive reviews.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

This guy usually has some informative ammo reviews.
    http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCv2qBjXtz7pjF4WnkMzA3dw

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    my thoughts are this guy is stupid. i use federal 9mm hst 147g and it works perfect and hits hard and accurate
    I am a huge fan of .45 HST and is my preferred EDC. That said it is hard to tell the difference between an expanded .45 HST and an expanded 9MM HST without close examination, so I never feel under gunned with a 147 grain HST
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Speer Gold dot 124gr +P Short Barrel is what I carry in my Nano.

Quote Originally Posted by Roost426 View Post
    Same here except the gun is a M&P 9c. I don't know if its the best ammo, but from the little bit of research I've done it seems like it will work well enough if I hit my target.

Quote Originally Posted by Roost426 View Post
    I got myself a box of those recently and wonder how much "better" the "short barrel" vs non really are?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwrdaben View Post
    I got myself a box of those recently and wonder how much "better" the "short barrel" vs non really are?
    Speer has specs posted on their site. Also plenty of data on the web and on youtube for ballistics gel tests. Take a look. There is an improvement. I don't know that I'd call it drastic, but the design is more for reliability than anything else.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

PEF and OD* like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    "Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow" 2 problems right there..
    As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with this. I was one of those people who used to believe in those studies back in the 90s and believe in the results because I believed in what Masaad Ayoob was saying and trusted the studies because he did. But the fact that the studies' results were based completely on situations and were inherently flawed (I was about to rob you. You shot me with a .25 auto. I ran away. You now can report to Sgt. Marshall that you achieved a "one shot stop" and he can include it in his percentages). I still applaud the fact that somebody tried to take the time to study how a lot of different loads performed in gunfights and actually cared about the safety of police and law-abiding citizens.

Im currently carrying federal 115 gr personal defense jhp standard pressure ,why? Cuz they are the bullet i can keep on the target with fast follow up shots. I dont care for the higher pressure loads cuz after the first shot ,you need to stay on target .
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links