Defensive Carry banner

$ of 9mm 2008 vs 2011

6K views 20 replies 21 participants last post by  joepa150 
#1 ·
100 rounds 115 GR. FMJ Winchester at Wall Mart.

$19.99 in 2008
$22.97 in 2011

No big suprise. It is a round my wife uses, so back in 2008 is made a good size purchase. Desided today it was time to restock. $3 increase is not to bad, but at that rate, I need to either get into reloading.

#2 ·
Academy Sports in Texas used to sell CCI at $4.99 per 50, back when dirt was young, and we had a Republican from Texas in the White House.

#3 ·
I need to either get into reloading.
.........or?

Yes....I remember the 2008 era, and my weekly allotments for buying ammo before and after our current president elect. Between those years mentioned 2008-2011, there were the non-existent (no supply) days, and there were the scalper days. Two things we can look forward to in the days ahead are Wal Mart and ammo, no matter what happens with the price of an ounce of gold, or a barrel of crude. Ammo is still a good buy.

#5 ·
Reloading is the way to go....you will save at least 50%....that is if you have high quality, serviceable brass. I you decide to go that route, I would suggest that you purchase your projectiles in bulk, as well as primers & smokeless powder......component cost are soaring in today's markets, as demand by the general public, in addition to our US Military is now outstripping our producers ability to supply in sufficient quantity to keep prices stable.

#6 ·
Yeah, I was looking at the Winchester White box 9mm at Wally World yesterday. $22.97 there at our Walmart as well. I had looked at the same exact product at Dick's Sporting goods just an hour and a half earlier, it was $29.95. So Walmart is still the best place I can find to walk up and buy large amounts of practice ammo. I'd love it if they started carrying premium self defense ammo.

#8 ·
I still get Winchester white box of 100, 115 gr., 9mm ball ammo for 19.97 + tax in at Walmart. Picked up 4 boxes 2 weeks ago, been at that price for the last 6 mos. $25 - $27 everywhere else for exact same ammo.

#9 ·
Considering the incredible rates of inflation we've had since then (that is still being hidden by the Fed and media), it may have actually decreased in "real" price. Regardless, the real rate of inflation will be realized in the next few years. Combine that with rising metal prices, and the falling value of the dollar, and ammo is probably just going to go up, if the current supply/demand ratios stay the same.

#11 ·
I predict a spike and possible hoarding of ammo before the Presidential elections. People may fear another term of Obama where he may attempt to pass some stupid law during a lame duck session. Then, if a conservative gets elected, I predict prices falling and many people who are on the bubble trying to unload quanaties of ammo they purchased at inflated prices as their priorities change.

#14 ·
I reload and cast my own bullets,buy primers and powder in bulk,cast bullets .01 ea.,primers 1.7 ea,powder 8# 96.00=56,000 grains 5 grain average load equals
1.16 cents ea. my cost is about $5.00 100,and that includes 9mm,40,45acp,44 mag is about 6.50 100.I have a buncha brass my local range when it was open let me have for free

#13 ·
Leaving Wal-Mart out of the mix, I noticed at last week's Crossroads show in Phoenix that a lot of ammo prices have backed off their peaks. In particular, Fed XM193 (5.56) that's my favorite AR fodder was down to 28 cents a round, whereas a year ago it was almost 40 cents/rd if you could get it. 7.62x39 was likewise cheaper. Handgun ammo was down, but not by as big a percentage.

#17 ·
I didn't call to see if they had ammo. I drove there and if they did I bought the max they would sell. I use the factory ammo (only USA) for training and reload the rest for competetion. I also bought up quantities of "Social Ammo" well before the 2008 Election along with primers and powder. Already had brass, now stored in my off premise rent by the month reloading 8x10 room that is air conditioned.

#21 ·
When I purchased my first handgun (Ruger GP100), in 2002, I could swear that a box of 50 357mag was about $12 at my local gun store. 38 special was about $8.95 a box. Now at walmart, a box of 50 I think is about $24. I have seen boxes of 357 magnum go for over $30 at gun stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.