Props where props are due.

Props where props are due.

This is a discussion on Props where props are due. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, So I have a buddy that's just getting into pistol shooting. He just bought a Beretta 92A1 for his first pistol (Yeah...I'm jealous). ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TedBeau

Thread: Props where props are due.

Thumbs up Props where props are due.

Hey guys,

So I have a buddy that's just getting into pistol shooting. He just bought a Beretta 92A1 for his first pistol (Yeah...I'm jealous). He doesn't know much about the subject and has asked me to go do some shooting with him this summer and teach him a few things. He also wants to start carrying for self-defense. I have a feeling he won't know what to use as far as defensive 9mm ammo goes....he'll probably just have FMJs or whatever he finds that's cheap.

So anyway, to get to the point, I started doing a little research on the preferred self-defense 9mm ammo. I came across a post on Yahoo Answers where the guy was adamant about using only the heaviest FMJ you can possibly find for self defense. That's it. No one questioned him. Made me really appreciate the amount of knowledge on this forum.

Long story short, I'll be referring him to this forum (among other things) for questions about ballistics, training, carrying scenarios, safety, etc. I'll also be referring him to a handgun training course.

Moral of the story: Don't go to Yahoo Answers for questions about firearms/ammo, haha.
    Last edited by BlackShadow0; April 11th, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
    Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

- Andrew Fletcher 1698

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackShadow0 View Post
    Moral of the story: Don't go to Yahoo Answers for questions...
    There, fixed that for ya'

Yeah, by all means there is lots to be learned here! And surprisingly most of it is actually right!
    If you want to convince him it's better to carry hollowpoints, I suggest you let him shoot a waterjug with a FMJ and then have him shoot another jug with a good hollowpoint. That's what sold me on Gold Dots. When the water jug jumped up a foot and fllew off the bench with a tear from top to bottom, I decided the hollowpoint definately made it's presence known more than the FMJ, where the jug just sat there and leaked water out of a tiny little hole.
    BlackShadow0 likes this.

Too true. I have learned so much by reading this and a few other forums.

Sponsored Links