Ammo choice for 5.56/.223

This is a discussion on Ammo choice for 5.56/.223 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So what should I get? I left the LGS yesterday with 3 boxes/20 rounds of something called Sellier & Bellot in 55gr fmj. It seemed ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rocky

Thread: Ammo choice for 5.56/.223

Ammo choice for 5.56/.223

So what should I get?
    I left the LGS yesterday with 3 boxes/20 rounds of something called Sellier & Bellot in 55gr fmj. It seemed like a good deal. 7 bucks for 20 rnds. I'm on ammunition.com and it appears it is one of the pricier rnds. I'm looking at other choices and one specifically says a great ammo for target practice... Here's my thoughts on that statement;
    It must be a pretty accurate round, no? Probably not, as it was pretty cheap, but my thoughts are this; I want my ammo to be accurate when I target practice. I'm in a controlled situation sighting my rifle in, playing with different distances, and I don't want my bullets to be wandering all over the place. I want to cover my shots with a quarter. That way in a defense situation I can hopefully keep them within a couple inches of each other under stress. Does it really make a difference if you hit the left side of the heart or the center, lol? Anyway, that's my thinking. I'm thinking the statement could have better been phrased "good ammo to blow through", as in my mind target ammo should be accurate. If I'm going to buy a thousand rounds of something, I want good multi-purpose ammo. Do they make such a thing? Should I be looking at 5.56 or .223? Stick with 55gr? I don't think I want any specialty ammunition, just a good, accurate ammo that won't break the bank and that I won't wish was something else if a tough situation comes up. I need to get something quick before the prices go up.

2. Remove Ads

S&B makes good ammo. I'd consider that a decent target/range round.

As for defensive ammo, read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Hey thanks Cuda. I was trying to get on that site all morning before I posted. It must be up again.

Whoa... a buck a round for Hornady TAP? Not exactly what I was after.

Lead Moderator
    How far are you shooting that you want tight groups? What barrel twist are you using? 1:9 barrels tend to work better with 55-62 grn bullets, 1:7 barrels you can go heavier. The choices for ammo run from Wolf to match grade ammo. I use wolf for 50 yrds or less , but use Remington or other better name brand for more serious accuracy.
    sid1 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If you are just plinking, I'd recommend surplus ammo like M193 in bulk.

You should be able to find it for well under $.40 a round.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

sgb
    I pretty much stick mostly to Federal XM193 in most of my AR's (1/9). Though I do run Black Hills 68gr OTM in my SBR (1/7) for Home Defense.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I told the LGS to hold a case of that S&B for me. He actually has it for a much better price than ammotogo or whatever site I was on.

Like I tried to say, I don't really get into the whole plinking thing. I'd just as soon shoot one round and stick with it no matter its use. I don't get practicing, training, plinking, sighting in thousands of rounds of one brand & type ammo, then switching ammo to take a 150y shot at a coyote... or something. Not from what I'm seeing in these trajectory charts and what I have read about the different brands. From what I have read on these S&Bs, they're a pretty decent round. Not that I wouldn't take more input, or someone telling me why I should be shooting something else in 62gr, within reason.

And, I've found that as far as self defense ranges are concerned (and even pushing that out to 200-300 yards), if you find a bullet weight that works well, finding another, higher performance bullet of the same weight will usually have very close to the same POI--definitely close enough to put it in meat. If you're thining about HD distances...there will be no appreciable difference. At 20 feet, 55gr XM193 hits the same spot as 75gr OTM's out of my rifle...and they're close enough clean out to 200 yards that I wouldn't sweat making an adjustment.

As for moving to a heavier bullet...it'd depend on your barrel. 1:9? 1:7? 1:8? 1:12?

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    And, I've found that as far as self defense ranges are concerned (and even pushing that out to 200-300 yards), if you find a bullet weight that works well, finding another, higher performance bullet of the same weight will usually have very close to the same POI--definitely close enough to put it in meat. If you're thining about HD distances...there will be no appreciable difference. At 20 feet, 55gr XM193 hits the same spot as 75gr OTM's out of my rifle...and they're close enough clean out to 200 yards that I wouldn't sweat making an adjustment.

As for moving to a heavier bullet...it'd depend on your barrel. 1:9? 1:7? 1:8? 1:12?
    Super info. That's just what I was looking for. Some "real world" advice. I was thinking that going to a heavier bullet could change your POI by a couple inches. All being equal and using comparable ammo. And that might not make a difference shooting man sized targets, but could make a difference trying to ding a varmint.
    I've got a M&P-15, so 1:9 twist.

Then, FWIW, if you practice with 55gr, look at some of the 55gr loads; personally, I like the 55grBarnes TSX...but that would be more for bipedal varmints. Look at 55gr Noslers, V-Max, etc...should be awfully darn close, but confirm with your rifle...

When it comes to just plinking and gun games what ever I can get for homes defense Corbon DPX
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

If you're looking for good stuff, then Hornady TAP or MK262 fits the bill. If you're plinking, I use M193 or XM193. Some XM855 thrown in there as well. Haven't had any issues with Fiochhi or S&B either.

Links