Defensive Carry banner

V-max and A-Max bullets out of a hot barrel?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cray 
#1 ·
I don't have the money to blow on Hornandy TAP ammo so I picked up some V-Max bullets to try in my Minis and AR. One thing I've been curious about is how tolerant the plastic points will hold up in a hot barrel. I'm looking to deviate from my standard M193 and M855 reloading and pump out something better for hunting and self-defense.

Is a hot barrel going to melt these bullets?

#3 ·
I have assumed thus far the tips are high density polyethylene - which IIRC has a pretty high melt temp.

Plus even tho they are in a hot place :)eek: ) - they are not actually in contact with hot metal themselves. Over time I guess the whole round including bullet will take up the ambient heat but not too quickly I'd think.

#4 ·
Jamie Young said:
I don't have the money to blow on Hornandy TAP ammo so I picked up some V-Max bullets to try in my Minis and AR. One thing I've been curious about is how tolerant the plastic points will hold up in a hot barrel. I'm looking to deviate from my standard M193 and M855 reloading and pump out something better for hunting and self-defense.

Is a hot barrel going to melt these bullets?
Hi Jamie,
When you say hunting, depending on what you're doing, the only way your barrel may get hot is sitting in the sun too long! However, if you're concerned about something like prairie dog hunting, don't worry. There are likely MILLIONS of rounds fired out of ARs every year, in anger at prairie dogs, ground squirrels, etc. In fact, you see more and more "black guns" in doing this type of hunting since 1) you don't lose your sight picture and 2) quick followup shot, and 3) the acrobatics that often result from popping one with a Hornady Vmax or a Sierra Blitz. I've used em and I have several friends who use em. No problems whatsoever, even in the hot sun.

And, for personal defense, you wouldn't necessarily have rounds sitting in a hot barrel unless you were in a pretty bad situation. I'm sure you won't get the penetration from a Vmax that you get from M193 or M855 ... but strongly suspect that if you hit someone with one of those Vmaxes, they'll take notice.

If you want THE straight poop, drop a note to Hornady and I assure you they'll be in touch pretty quickly. They probably have all those specs anyway.

Be safe Jamie,

cray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.