.308 vs .30-06 - Page 2

.308 vs .30-06

This is a discussion on .308 vs .30-06 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...n-30-06-a.html...

View Poll Results: Which round?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll

29 46.03%
  • .30-06

34 53.97%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: .308 vs .30-06

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

They both have a place and purpose. Police use the 308 for urban sniping. Hunters use the '06 for taking down large game. Not hunting, just plinking 308., Going Elk hunting '06.

Effective range 30-06 870 yards reaching a mile if good enough --------308, 500 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Truckinfavis View Post
    They both have a place and purpose. Police use the 308 for urban sniping. Hunters use the '06 for taking down large game. Not hunting, just plinking 308., Going Elk hunting '06.

Effective range 30-06 870 yards reaching a mile if good enough --------308, 500 yards
    i shoot way past 500 yards with my .308, he stated that he was not going to be hunting with it.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Get the -06!

I went back and forth between the two back in '76, deciding on the -06 because it can handle any .30 bullet weight whereas the .308 is limited by its shorter case and neck. 180 grains is about its limit whereas the 06 can easily handle 220 grainers. My off-the-shelf 700 ADL -06 "hunting rifle" has shot quarter-sized groups at 200 yards, taken down vicious 6-inch ground squirrels at 200+ yards (yeah, overkill) and dropped my dream Alaskan moose. Never once have I rethought my decision to get the -06 over the 308. The fartherest I've tried it on paper is 500 yards, and the old girl made me smile.

Use your saving to pick up some inexpensive reloading equipment and make the most of a fabulous old(?) round!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I voted for the 30.06 even though I own a .308. Even though you do not currently plan on hunting with it, the 30.06 is capable of taking anything on this continent. The .308 is close, but not quite the same. Who knows, in a few years you might get an invite to go hunting in Alaska. As far as accuracy goes, I don't think you would be able to discern any difference between the two if you take the time to work up good loads. And accurate loads are not necessarily max pressure loads, so the difference in charge weight for your best loads may be insignificant.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

ntg
    In these parts, '06 is more common. It's just about the same. They'll both do the same selection of bullets. The '06 will do it with more speed and as mentioned above is better with bullets above 180gr. If you really want to get into long range shooting the extra speed of the '06 coupled with a high BC bulllet (read 180gr or heavier; example: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .308 30 CAL :: 30 Cal .308 208 gr A-MAX®) will be better. Mind you a 180gr + bullet in the '06 isn't light recoil, and if you're talking the synthetic stock ADL...it's a fairly light rifle.

If you really are going to try long range plinking I'd get neither of the two honestly. You can get the high BC of the heavy .30cal bullets in a more recoil friendly package. Look at the 260Rem or 7mm-08 or 6.5-284 first (or even the 6.5 sweed or some of the .277 cal options.). You'll get the high BC and be able to shoot more as they are easier on the shoulder and cheaper to reload.

Or maybe you're a 500lb gorilla and it doesn't matter how many times a rifle punches you. Me I can shoot a '06 for quite a while at the range, but after about 100 rounds of target shooting I'll be done.

Some that long range hunt do it with souped up .30 cals or .338cals, but many have a quite heavy rifle and/or a brake on the barrel. That would change everything if you plan to do that.

Go to longrangehunting.com if you really want learn about shooting long range. Anyway, sorry for my 2 cents and the extra change.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Thanks guys! I went with the .30-06

The ammo cost a bit more, and for my purposes, more people use the .308, but I always like being the oddball. I gotta say that the .30-06 KICKS.

it was funny, I shot it the first time at my local range and the chair that I was sitting on had wheels on it, and as I shot, the recoil made the chair roll back. it was like in the cartoons hahahhaah.

I guess I'm so used to shooting weapon on my left shoulder (lefty) that when I tried to shoot on my right shoulder, it was painful. very painful. switched it back to the left side, and it kicked like I expected it to. I was going to shoot like 5 rounds to make sure it was working ok, but before you know it, I spent all the 20 rounds that I had bought.

very fun rifle, at 25 yards, i was keyholing with the iron sights. can't wait to put a scope on it and see what I can do 100+ wish we had some long range places to shoot here.

I'm also a SHTF kind of person. even though .30-06 will be harder to find, I could take down pretty much anything with a .30-06. go through armor if I have to as well.

one thing that I did notice though is that it's hard to shoot a righty bolt action as a lefty.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Funny thing about all the hoopla about composite stocks, lightweight gear, etc. that's great for hiking up the mountains and across the wide expanses, but most endorsers of that thought rarely mention basic physics--the lighter the rifle the harder it kicks!

I "lightened" my ADL to the point my dentist saw gold in his retirement plan! Twenty or so rounds on the bench and I was done. Added back the weight and then some and now it's no big deal to crank off 100 rounds (well, maybe a bit touchy toward those last few shots). The added weight never bothered me in the field.

If your primary use is target shooting, don't be afraid to add weight to the rifle by any means you can. Your shoulder will appreciate it!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

"one thing that I did notice though is that it's hard to shoot a righty bolt action as a lefty."

OOO..I don't envy you for that. Good for you to overcome it.

You made a good choice and don't have to take a backseat to any other rifle.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Longest .30 cal confirmed kill is 1250 yards and that was with a 308. just saying.
    Kerby likes this.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I went with the 30 06 on the vote based on loving the 30 06 M1 rifle (no other real reason) and the fact the 243 was not an option.

Not a burp and sneeze worth of difference between the two. Truth be told, as the .308 has a large following, often I can find .30-06 ammunition all over the place when there isn't a box of .308 on the shelf. I have a 700 ADL and liked it so much I bought a nearly identical ADL in .270 to keep it company.

FYI...the primary reason for the development of the .308 (or so I have been told) is to facilitate the use of a round just about balistically identical to the .30-06 in automatic weapons where the .30-06 may not work as efficiently. Only significant difference I see is the .30-06 is a long action cartridge; .308 short action.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Longest .30 cal confirmed kill is 1250 yards and that was with a 308. just saying.
    Actually the longest confirmed kill was made by
    Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison on November 2009, at 2,707 yd with a L115A3 Long Range Rifle shooting .338 Lapua Magnum in Afghanistan

Second was Corporal Rob Furlong on March 2002 at 2,657 yd with a McMillan Tac-50, useing Hornady A-MAX .50 (.50 BMG) in Afghanistan

Third farthest also in the War in Afghanistan was Master Corporal Arron Perry on March 2002 at 2,526 yds also with a McMillan Tac-50, useing Hornady A-MAX .50 (.50 BMG)

Of the two 30 06 vs .308 you are correct .308 has the record but it was 1,250 meters, not yards, it was 1,367 yards
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Actually the longest confirmed kill was made by
    Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison on November 2009, at 2,707 yd with a L115A3 Long Range Rifle shooting .338 Lapua Magnum in Afghanistan

Second was Corporal Rob Furlong on March 2002 at 2,657 yd with a McMillan Tac-50, useing Hornady A-MAX .50 (.50 BMG) in Afghanistan

Third farthest also in the War in Afghanistan was Master Corporal Arron Perry on March 2002 at 2,526 yds also with a McMillan Tac-50, useing Hornady A-MAX .50 (.50 BMG)

Of the two 30 06 vs .308 you are correct .308 has the record but it was 1,250 meters, not yards, it was 1,367 yards
    sorry I ment meters and not yards but my post said longest 30 cal. I am very aware of the .338 lapua and the Big mac and the added distance they allow.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    OOps late to the party...deleted
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links