.308 vs .30-06

This is a discussion on .308 vs .30-06 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dragman sorry I (meant) meters and not yards but my post said longest 30 cal. I am very aware of the .338 ...

View Poll Results: Which round?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll

29 46.03%
  • .30-06

34 53.97%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: .308 vs .30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    sorry I (meant) meters and not yards but my post said longest 30 cal. I am very aware of the .338 lapua and the Big mac and the added distance they allow.
    Your right, is which is why I said so
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Of the two 30 06 vs .308 you are correct .308 has the record but it was 1,250 meters, not yards, it was 1,367 yards
    I was not discounting your comment beyond the correction from meters to yards. 1,250 yards would have been short of the actual shot. As it was 1,367 yards. I commonly make the same error. Just adding to your comment to put some perspective on it. Neither really rates as the premier long range sniper round these days. If my memory serves me despite the longer range capability of other rounds .308 has been and remains the standard sniper round, and caliber of choice for most DMRs. After all very, very few people shoot beyond a 1,000 + yards with any regularity and consistency. At least I never have and at my age it ain't ever gonna get any better
    I am under the impression that the .308 is likely the most versatile of the two capable of being loaded for everything from rabbit to bison. I have no info that says the same can be said for 30 06
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Your right, is which is why I said so

I was not discounting your comment beyond the correction from meters to yards. 1,250 yards would have been short of the actual shot. As it was 1,367 yards. I commonly make the same error. Just adding to your comment to put some perspective on it. Neither really rates as the premier long range sniper round these days. If my memory serves me despite the longer range capability of other rounds .308 has been and remains the standard sniper round, and caliber of choice for most DMRs. After all very, very few people shoot beyond a 1,000 + yards with any regularity and consistency. At least I never have and at my age it ain't ever gonna get any better
    I am under the impression that the .308 is likely the most versatile of the two capable of being loaded for everything from rabbit to bison. I have no info that says the same can be said for 30 06
    unless you count the 30-06 accelorator 55 grainers! But yes I agree the 308 is a more stable platform to load a wide veriety of very accurate rounds.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

.308 starts to fade with the heavier .30 caliber bullets, the heavier the bullet the more the fade. Unless one wants to conveniently dismiss those bullet weights then the variety and versatility doesn't appear so wide. Rabbits to bison may be effectively taken with the .30-06 too.

The .308 really is almost as good as the .30-06 with the entire range of .30 caliber bullet weights available.

Doesn't "almost" count in horseshoes and hand grenades?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The 30-06 is slightly more versatile once you get into the heavier rounds. In a semi-auto the 308 is ballistically identical to the 30-06. When you get into bolt actions and reloading, the 30-06 is superior.

Once you start loading for the 06, you will see what the round can do. I shoot mine at 600yds and am amazed at the size of the groups. The 700 is a good platform to start with.

the .308 in a short rifle/barrel is exactly what i desire & use..i will use the lighter weight rifle that does the same job as the heavier one EVERY TIME. Every animal i have shot with my .308 have gone down instantly....enough said ( and many animals at long & short range involved)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links