327 federal magnum

This is a discussion on 327 federal magnum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IMO the ammo is 2 expensive to do a lot of shooting....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 327 federal magnum

IMO the ammo is 2 expensive to do a lot of shooting.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Go for the 115 gr. Gold Dot, best cartridge in the caliber ! The 327 Mag is a fine caliber and should be more popular. It's under a 357 Mag but better than a 38 special +P.
    What's not to like, it's a hot little round ! I guess people don't think it's big enough but it has the velocity to make up for it's size. It hits with over 500 ft-lbs of energy, it can't be bad and I wouldn't want to get hit with one !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

It would make a great woodsman's companion for sure, and be a lot of fun to reload for. Also would feel somewhat comforted by its presence in s.o.b. Kind of like a lot of calibers, you dont really "need" them, but they sure are interesting.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

As far as ammo for the cailber I see on the Buffalo Bore web site that they load a H&R 32 mag that you can shoot in the 327 Mag,

Heavy 32 H&R MAG. +P Pistol and Handgun Ammunition

and they also load a .32 Federal (which I think is the .327 Mag).

Heavy 327 Federal

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    The .327 is a fine gun/caliber, but I just have to wonder what the question was that they were answering with its development. The .357 is more potent and can be had in concealable small formats. The only benefit of the .327 over the .357 seems to be an extra round in the cylinder, which is an advantage. When I was purchasing a cc revolver, I looked at the .327, but went with the .357.
    Probably answering the same questions that every product we buy asks. Do we really need so many makes and models of cars, soap, and many other items we buy? I may think buying a Mercedes is a waste of money as it will not get me to work any faster than a Volkswagen but obviously a lot of people think otherwise.

It is not just the extra round but the ability to get back on target faster and easier with excellent penetration and very high velocity. Over 40 years most people I know with .357s carry .38 +P, especially if they have had training and find out just how hard it is to shoot fast and accurately with a .357 cartridge during a dynamic shooting situation with movement and stress. The benefit is not just the extra round but reduced recoil with great penetration and controlability in follow up shots. Have you actually used a .327 and tested its performance? I am old enough to remember similar statements by armchair experts about the 9mm, .40 and .223. When the wimpy 9mm hit our shores enough to sell guns built for it, I was laughed at for buying one and now look where we are. :) I have been shooting .357s since the sixties and just sold mine after finding out how much faster and accurately I can do follow-up shots with my S&W 632 J-Frame. We all like the macho .357 round and can shoot them well but it is the rare person who can shoot them well rapidily and on target during the dynamics of a real encounter.

I have been considering a purchase of a sp101 in the 327 mag but I have no
    false opinion,,,, it is not a 357,,,,maybe slightly better than 38;
    the only advance possible would be the 7th shot.

Of course that my opinion and since it is free; it worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Not trying to keep you from buying what you want, but if you are basing the performance stats on energy and velocity figures, you are only looking at a small part of the picture. Rounds like the 38 spl have endured for a reason. Hollow points that open up real big and fast also have a tendancy to slow down quicker and not adequately pentrate.
    The 38 spl with 158 grn swc, 9mm with 147 grn, and the 357 in any weight , all outclass the 327. It would be my last choice in a revolver caliber for serious use.

To borrow a line from Elmer, "Its damned adequate"(for ground hogs).
    I gather that you are making assumptions rather than checking ignorance in the bud. :) FBI penetration tests show 15" with the Gold Dot 115 gr. round with expansion to .45 or more. Sounds like the assumptions I heard when the .223 and .40 came out. In any case here is just one review. NRA Mobile

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunByte View Post
    Probably answering the same questions that every product we buy asks. Do we really need so many makes and models of cars, soap, and many other items we buy? I may think buying a Mercedes is a waste of money as it will not get me to work any faster than a Volkswagen but obviously a lot of people think otherwise.

It is not just the extra round but the ability to get back on target faster and easier with excellent penetration and very high velocity. Over 40 years most people I know with .357s carry .38 +P, especially if they have had training and find out just how hard it is to shoot fast and accurately with a .357 cartridge during a dynamic shooting situation with movement and stress. The benefit is not just the extra round but reduced recoil with great penetration and controlability in follow up shots. Have you actually used a .327 and tested its performance? I am old enough to remember similar statements by armchair experts about the 9mm, .40 and .223. When the wimpy 9mm hit our shores enough to sell guns built for it, I was laughed at for buying one and now look where we are. :) I have been shooting .357s since the sixties and just sold mine after finding out how much faster and accurately I can do follow-up shots with my S&W 632 J-Frame. We all like the macho .357 round and can shoot them well but it is the rare person who can shoot them well rapidily and on target during the dynamics of a real encounter.
    Depends on the load you are shooting. With a full bore .357 hunting load, a snubbie is just painful. With a SD load, like a Golden Saber, they are pretty easy to shoot accurately quickly. For target shooting they are cheaper with .38 target loads.

To each his own. You like your .327. I say great, glad you like it. I like my .357 (S&W 640) and it works for me.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have a sp101 327 and use it as a ccw, as do I with my kimber 1911 10mm, s&w 360sc. Depending on what my dress code / environment allows ( hot or cold weather, am I going shopping or walking thru the woods) & would never consider myself 'under' gunned while carrying it. I couple all of the above with dun Hume j.I.t. holsters, you just can't beat how 'thin' a single stack 1911 is imho :-)
    G

Forgot to add that the 115 Gold Dot .327 Federal Magnum hits with more energy than a 125 gr. 357 Magnum out of a 2" snub nose and the GD is only a potato chip width smaller. The beauty of the round is missed by many who are just interested in numbers and size. This round is powerful but so controlable that even the snub nose guns that use it have real sights on them because the guns are capable of great accuracy as the round is pretty flat shooting at distance.

Nothing can be judged as good or bad based on a person's ability to afford it. One has nothing to do with the other as far as ballistics goes. I buy boxes of 50 Federal 100 gr. soft point for $19 or less depending on sales to practice with. I pay just a little less for 50 rounds of 9mm. The nice part of this gun is that you do not need to practice a lot with it if you know how to shoot. Once a month or two I shoot off 6 rounds in a nice tight group at 7 yards and put the gun away and spend the next two hours playing with my .22s.

VIP Member
    The problem with the .327 mag as I see it is this. It's new.

There are probably, conservatively speaking, at least 3 million 38 Spl/357 Magnum owners in the US. There is a huge amount of companies turning out gear, ammo and more guns for this enormous market share. In other words the 38/357 has traction in the market and it is a PROVEN choice on the street.

The .327 seems to fill a nice niche. Truthfully, if I didn't already have multiple .357s and a cabinet full of ammunition, dies and bullets for them I might be tempted to get one. The reality though, is that I'm not going to trade in my PROVEN guns and sell off all of my extras at a loss just to jump on the next new thing. I'm guessing that not many others are going to either. It is for this reason and this reason only that I predict the .327 will disappear in just a few short years.

Going up against the .38 and .357 is akin to cutting off you own legs before you start a race.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunByte View Post
    Forgot to add that the 115 Gold Dot .327 Federal Magnum hits with more energy than a 125 gr. 357 Magnum out of a 2" snub nose
    This is pure crap. I was kinder in my reply to your other post in the last thread but if you keep spouting crap, well you're gonna need thick skin.

Speer's own website lists the 115 Gold Dot at 500 ftlbs of energy. They list the 125 grain .357 Gold Dot load at 584 ftlbs of energy. The 327 GD load doesn't even beat Speers own .357 loads, let alone other companies that are still loading the .357 to what it used to be. Buffalo bore has loads that approach 700ftlbs of energy.

To sum up my post: Stop getting your facts from advertising campaigns.

I buy boxes of 50 Federal 100 gr. soft point for $19 or less depending on sales to practice with. I pay just a little less for 50 rounds of 9mm.
    You're getting squirrelly with the numbers here too. SD ammo for the .327 Mag is hard to find and is expensive. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php only carries three types of ammo for the .327 right now. Seriously, only three. They have 2 SD loads at around $21.50 for a box of 20 and practice ammo at $25 for 50. So SD rounds average out to $1.05 a round.

Compare that to:

The 9mm (like you did above) and ATG has about 100 different loads listed. Practice ammo starts at $9.29 per box of 50 and SD ammo is around $25 per box of 50. So SD rounds average out to $.50 a round.

The 38 Spl and ATG has about 65 different loads listed. Practice ammo starts at $14.95 per box of 50 and SD ammo is around $30 per box of 50. So SD rounds average out to $.60 a round.

The .357 has about 60 different loads. Practice ammo starts at $17.95 per 50 and SD ammo is expensive enough to make you want to cry. $49.95 for 50 Gold Dots and 54.95 for 50 hydrashocks....but it's worth it. SD rounds average out to $1.04 a round. A penny less than the .327 SD ammo.
    Last edited by atctimmy; January 3rd, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
    21bubba and zacii like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

The 130gr heavy 327's from buffalo bore are pretty nasty. It's also nice having the three inch barrel too
    G

VIP Member
    I see the controversy is still the same as when the cartridge came out. Basically it is if I don't have one[.327] it is useless and I am not going to listen to reason including facts.

The .327 is not a .357 and is not intended to be, nor be as good or better. What the .327 was intended for was .38 spl performance or better in a smallish revolver that can only load 5 .38 spl; but, 6 .327 rnds.

The .327 is a high pressure rnd resulting in relatively high velocity as compared to the .38 spl. I've shot .38 spl and the +P loads as well and I've shot all the .327 loads except the 130 gr load. The .327 expands to .5 inch and out penetrates the .38 spl and on occasion, depending on the medium will out penetrate the 125 gr .357. Another consideration is that the .38 spl regularly does not expand, but, just deforms some.

Does this mean everyone should get one? It does not! One can get a lot of ammo for their existing gun for the money it takes to get a .327 and enough ammo to get profficent with it.

Should the .327 be bad mouthed just because someone doesn't have one or desire to try something different? Absolutely not, doing so is just a self proffessing prophesy.

I for one like the .327 and find it a very accurate cartridge, esp out of a GP 100; it is good from a SP 101, but, without a Hogue monogrip the recoil can be hand numbing if more than a few rnds are shot in the same session. But, the .357 is a handful out of small revolvers, as well.

So you want one get it, don't want one don't get one. If your thinking about getting one, don't ask someone that doesn't have one for advice.
    OD* likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links