327 federal magnum

This is a discussion on 327 federal magnum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Putting my money where my mouth is, this morning I ordered a 3" SP101 in .327 Federal from an online supplier. This should be a ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 327 federal magnum

Putting my money where my mouth is, this morning I ordered a 3" SP101 in .327 Federal from an online supplier. This should be a great gun for my wife.

Since ammo is difficult to find locally, I also ordered a box of Federal's reduced recoil 85g personal defense ammo and a box of Federal's American Eagle 85g ammo. I'll probably get another box of the American Eagle as I don't have brass or dies yet.

2. Remove Ads

The .327 Magnum is tailor-made to be a handloader's delight. One could run the gamut from plinking mild to speedy wild in a .32 gun. If Smith & Wesson would bring out a .327 Magnum "no-lock" K-Frame with a traditional 4, 5, or 6 inch barrel that didn't feature a full-length lug I'd have one.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteHunter View Post
    Putting my money where my mouth is, this morning I ordered a 3" SP101 in .327 Federal from an online supplier. This should be a great gun for my wife.

Since ammo is difficult to find locally, I also ordered a box of Federal's reduced recoil 85g personal defense ammo and a box of Federal's American Eagle 85g ammo. I'll probably get another box of the American Eagle as I don't have brass or dies yet.
    The Federal stuff is a delight to shoot, much like standard pressure 38. The American Eagle stuff is noticeably hotter. Not hurt your wrist hot... But definitely hotter.

I agree with bmcg... There is a wide range one can load the .327. I am using 13 grains of lil gun under a 100 grain XTP bullet right now.

Yesterday was a first in my 61 years - I bought two firearms on the same day.

The RugerSP101 in .327 Fed was purchased in the AM as a Mom's Day gift for my wife. In the PM I couldn't go home after work - it was Book Club night and the women were meeting at our house, no men allowed. Instead I worked a little late, then headed up to Gander Mountain with intent to drive on up to Sportsman's Warehouse after rush hour to see if either had any .327 Fed ammo for the SP101. Afterwards I intended to have a nice dinner out and read a few more chapters of "Helmet for My Pillow", a Marine's account of his war from boot camp through the pacific. (A good read and highly recommended. Those who have read "The Pacific" will recognize much.)

Gander didn't have any .327 Federal, no surprise, but while perusing the handgun cases I ran across a Beretta 950B (6.25 caliber) that looked to be in good condition. With nothing but time on my hands, I asked to take a look. Big mistake.

The Beretta was in mint condition. The 950 is a diminutive (palm sized) single action semi-auto with a tip-up barrel. The 6.25 cartridge is better known on this side of the pond as “.25ACP”. Pictures of the gun can be found in the encyclopedia under the heading “Mouse gun”. Still, concealability of the 950 Berettas have always intrigued me and the tip-up barrel means my wife could load it without racking the slide, something she would have difficulty with if she could do it at all. The Beretta came with the original box and owner’s manual and had obviously been shot very little. The price was $149.99 and I couldn’t pass it up.

After buying the Beretta I headed a few miles up the road to the “Firing Line” to see what they had for ammo. Bought a box of Speer Gold Dot defense loads and a box of American Eagle FMJs for plinking and practice. Afterwards I retired to Carraba’s for a glass of wine and dinner, Beretta in my pocket, Browning 9mm in the car.

All in all, a pretty darn good day. The Ruger SP101 in .327 Fed will arrive in a couple days. In the meantime, I can’t wait to get the Beretta to the range!

[Full disclosure: The Beretta is more for me than my wife, although I told her it was hers “until we get her something better”. That means until Mom’s Day when she gets the Ruger SP101, which she doesn’t know is coming.]

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    An extra shot in a snubbie and more power than the .38 (at least on paper)? Sounds like a decent gun to me. I am aware that it does not pack the same punch as a heavier bullet, but at 115 grains for some loads and only .3mm smaller than the .38/357 I don't think I would call it anemic either. Certainly seems to me it would hit a lot harder than a .380 would and plenty of people are comfortably walking around with those. Add the extra reliability of being a revolver, the ability to run the classic .32-20 and .32 magnums that some people like a lot and I wouldn't fault someone for buying one for SD.
    what is the on paper comment for??? i asked if the energy info is true....if the gun is real it has been tested an data collected on paper an in realiaty or in action ...is that so hard for you to understand??

Check out the ballistics by the inch website.............

do they actually shoot a 327 federal magnum cartridge from a 2" barrel and chrono it to get the velocity?? what is a 2": inch barrel to them??

do you have truth about the velocity from a 2" barrel with 327 fedmag?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links