327 federal magnum

This is a discussion on 327 federal magnum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here have experience/commentary on this cartridge? I am using an SP101 3" for CC with 100 grain JSP rounds or 85 grain JHP rounds. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 327 federal magnum

327 federal magnum

Anyone here have experience/commentary on this cartridge? I am using an SP101 3" for CC with 100 grain JSP rounds or 85 grain JHP rounds. I find this combination to be accurate and easily controlled in fairly rapid DA firing. I've heard complaints that ammunition is hard to find but that has not been my experience. It's apparent that most of the folks here are devoted to the 357's (or larger) but I was never much of a shot with lightweight revolvers which exhibited excessive muzzle jump and noise. The 101 at 24 ounces is a bit heavy but works well for me.

Dave Gross

2. Remove Ads

I think it is a really nice handgun to own, especially for a handloader and it makes a viable self defense choice. It should be given serious consideration by the revolver aficionado.

I'm old fashioned but I don't consider a 24-oz revolver to be heavy. A revolver 10 oz. heavier than that is a medium weight to my way of thinking. 24 ounces sounds like a nice, practical weight for a .327 Magnum to me and the 3-inch barrel sounds just about perfect for length for general purpose use. You get 6-shots too.

A 100 grain or 115 grain .312" bullet running at the velocities quoted for the .327 Magnum possesses really outstanding penetration. The cartridge would work well on all types of small game and varmints. The lighter weights of 80-90 grains can offer pretty explosive expansion too.

I have a late production 4-inch Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector .32-20 built on the K-Frame and have used it for many years. The .32-20 uses the same diameter and weight range of bullets and may be safely handloaded to the same velocities. Critters have always readily fallen to well-placed shots from this revolver.

The .327 Magnum offers a viable alternative to the pre-war .32-20 revolvers without having to worry about the fragility of some of the earlier revolver designs. The sturdy straight-walled .327 Magnum case avoids some of the idiosyncrasies of handloading the tapered and thin-walled .32-20. The .327 Magnum would appear to be capable of better intrinsic accuracy from a revolver than the .32-20 with its tapered (technically bottlenecked) case. The .32-20 is one of my very favorite cartridges of all time but if I wasn't so heavily invested in it I'd have a .327 Magnum. A little Marlin lever action rifle or a lever action based on the Winchester Model 92 would be great too. Or how about a slide-action .327 Magnum rifle? It could be marketed on an over-sized version of the Browning designed Winchester Model 1890. Wonderful!

I mostly gravitate toward cartridges using .358 diameter bullets of heavier weights too but still really like shooting .32 revolvers. They all may be handloaded to be scarcely more expensive than shooting a .22 LR but are gratifying to shoot in the way that a center fire cartridge can be. The .327 Magnum looks like the best of the bunch too.

I did a cartridge discussion of the .32-20 years ago but don' t suppose I ever stuck it up here on Defensive Carry. I'll see if I can dig it out and post it. Anything that the .32-20 can do ballistically may easily be duplicated by the .327 Magnum and that ain't hay.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    The .327 is a fine gun/caliber, but I just have to wonder what the question was that they were answering with its development. The .357 is more potent and can be had in concealable small formats. The only benefit of the .327 over the .357 seems to be an extra round in the cylinder, which is an advantage. When I was purchasing a cc revolver, I looked at the .327, but went with the .357.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The only ammo we can ever get in stock for it is the JSP, and it doesn't expand from the short barrel guns. I wish there was more and fancier ammo. And I'd love to have a little lever action carbine chambered in it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I couldn't seem to find a hammerless snubbie 6 round .327FED MAG. Maybe I didn't look in the right places? I have a S&W 442 currently that is often carried. I would love an extra round in the same package assuming the round is sufficient enough. I'd like to know more about it, and see more revolvers available chambered in it.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I couldn't seem to find a hammerless snubbie 6 round .327FED MAG. Maybe I didn't look in the right places? I have a S&W 442 currently that is often carried. I would love an extra round in the same package assuming the round is sufficient enough. I'd like to know more about it, and see more revolvers available chambered in it.
    There's at least one...

the Smith & Wesson Model 632 Pro Series.

It's a snubbie w/ an 2 1/8 inch barrel, 6 rounds. I found it on GalleryofGuns.com using the Gun Genie:

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...&zipcode=85331

ETA: Looking at the S%W website shows that there's also a version w/ a 3" barrel
    Simeon

There's at least one...

It's a snubbie w/ an 2 1/8 inch barrel, 6 rounds. I found it on GalleryofGuns.com using the Gun Genie:

ETA: Looking at the S%W website shows that there's also a version w/ a 3" barrel
    Simeon[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks for pointing that one out.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Nobody has that gun in stock, I've looked for months.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snevel View Post
    There's at least one...

Simeon
    Thanks for the link. That barrel is a good bit longer than my S&W442 (Couldn't pocket carry that like I do with my 442.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Nobody has that gun in stock, I've looked for months.
    Have you tried the Gun Genie at Galleryofguns.com?

They'll point you at any local dealers that have stock.

Simeon

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    The .327 is a fine gun/caliber, but I just have to wonder what the question was that they were answering with its development. The .357 is more potent and can be had in concealable small formats. The only benefit of the .327 over the .357 seems to be an extra round in the cylinder, which is an advantage. When I was purchasing a cc revolver, I looked at the .327, but went with the .357.
    Ok, timeout! Here is what they were answering: More power than a 38 special +P, less recoil than a 357, in a rimmed case suitable for concealable revolvers without stupid half-moon clips. That is a huge niche to fill in power terms, as the 357 is over 500 ft-lb ME, while the anemic 38 +P is only 280. At 430, and with MVs of 1300 to 1400 fps, this round should be a better manstopper than a 9mm +P...or at least similar... (obviously better than a .38 or 380). To me, this offers an obvious advantage to what is available, just like the .40 SW bridged the gap between 9mm and 357 in terms of power. If you are worried about the 0.04" of caliber "sacrifice" gimme a break. That is still 115 grains of lead going 1350 fps (as opposed to the king manstopper load of 125 grains going 1350 in the champion 357 mag), with hollow points opening up to over 0.50 caliber in flesh. Now add a 6th round in snubbies or a 7th or 8th in larger revolvers, and you have something that is worth discussion. This could eventually be the king of the concealable revolver rounds, as there can be no doubt with the reduced recoil and muzzle flash (from a 357), that it will be easier to print more center-mass hits faster with the 327. Given the power it packs, this is made for concealed carry revolvers, and I will surely be thinking about picking one up.
    TonyDTrigger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scfam View Post
    Ok, timeout! Here is what they were answering: More power than a 38 special +P, less recoil than a 357, in a rimmed case suitable for concealable revolvers without stupid half-moon clips. That is a huge niche to fill in power terms, as the 357 is over 500 ft-lb ME, while the anemic 38 +P is only 280. At 430, and with MVs of 1300 to 1400 fps, this round should be a better manstopper than a 9mm +P...or at least similar... (obviously better than a .38 or 380). To me, this offers an obvious advantage to what is available, just like the .40 SW bridged the gap between 9mm and 357 in terms of power. If you are worried about the 0.04" of caliber "sacrifice" gimme a break. That is still 115 grains of lead going 1350 fps (as opposed to the king manstopper load of 125 grains going 1350 in the champion 357 mag), with hollow points opening up to over 0.50 caliber in flesh. Now add a 6th round in snubbies or a 7th or 8th in larger revolvers, and you have something that is worth discussion. This could eventually be the king of the concealable revolver rounds, as there can be no doubt with the reduced recoil and muzzle flash (from a 357), that it will be easier to print more center-mass hits faster with the 327. Given the power it packs, this is made for concealed carry revolvers, and I will surely be thinking about picking one up.
    Not trying to keep you from buying what you want, but if you are basing the performance stats on energy and velocity figures, you are only looking at a small part of the picture. Rounds like the 38 spl have endured for a reason. Hollow points that open up real big and fast also have a tendancy to slow down quicker and not adequately pentrate.
    The 38 spl with 158 grn swc, 9mm with 147 grn, and the 357 in any weight , all outclass the 327. It would be my last choice in a revolver caliber for serious use.

To borrow a line from Elmer, "Its damned adequate"(for ground hogs).
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Impact Guns - Taurus Model 327, 327 FED 2" Blue

the above link claims there is a taurus 327 with a 2" barrel and 6 shot capacity. i dont know if its a real (production or otherwise) gun or not.

i have heard people online claiming the some 357 mags can exit a 2ish inch barell in excess of 1200 fps.

if the ballistic calculator i see is correct, a 125g 357 exiting a 2" barrel yields 434 ftlbs of KE at 1250fps.

a speer website claims a 100g 327fedmag exits a 4" barrel at 1500fps with 500ftlbs or KE.

i have been trying to find out if a 2" barrelled 327 can push this bullet out at least 1340fps at 399 ft lbs of KE......roughly the energy of many 9mms out of 4inch barrels but in a 2" snub package....at a potato chips diference in diameter when expanded??

anyone know????

It would be my last choice in a revolver caliber for serious use.............

thats ok. but if it is a real cartridge does 6 holes at a .32inch diameter create more hole space that 5 at.38inch diameter???? as well as the chance to get off a 6th shot if necessary???

at 4inch barrel velocities the energy differnce between a 1400fps 125g 357 if 44ftlbs greater than than teh 1500fps 327....at 500ftlbs. is that true??? if true is 44ftlbs greater than 500ftlbs significantly more protective???

An extra shot in a snubbie and more power than the .38 (at least on paper)? Sounds like a decent gun to me. I am aware that it does not pack the same punch as a heavier bullet, but at 115 grains for some loads and only .3mm smaller than the .38/357 I don't think I would call it anemic either. Certainly seems to me it would hit a lot harder than a .380 would and plenty of people are comfortably walking around with those. Add the extra reliability of being a revolver, the ability to run the classic .32-20 and .32 magnums that some people like a lot and I wouldn't fault someone for buying one for SD.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links