What temp does ammo explode at?

This is a discussion on What temp does ammo explode at? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I have never heard of ammo going off inside a hot car I would guess it is not a problem leaving your gun locked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What temp does ammo explode at?

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

What temp does ammo explode at?

Since I have never heard of ammo going off inside a hot car I would guess it is not a problem leaving your gun locked in your car in the Texas heat! Is that correct??
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Correct!!

I cannot quote a specific temp but we are talking way higher than in car, even if that in fact reaches 120 - 130 even.

Think of this too, - ''cooking off'' is possible but rare - meaning a round in a super hot chamber after rapid fire - very rarely goes off.

I have had a box of cheapo Fed .22's left under seat in truck thru a whole summer - not only no explosions but they all shot perfectly eventually!

I'll make a guess here - I daresay (tho don't try) you could put a round into an oven at 300 and leave it. The odd .22 that has gone into my burn barrel takes quite a while to go - even when in red ashes!!! It's the primer that is the most sensitive component.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I remember reading an article somewhere a long time ago about this subject. It said something along the lines of that even if your house was on fire the lead would become soft enough that if the powder were to ignite then it would just push the lead out without any real explosion, just a powder flash. I seriously doubt that even in texas heat the bullets would go off.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    It takes a tremendous amount of focused and persistant heat to "cook off" a round. Ive only seen a few get cooked while shooting full auto Ar-15's and HK UMP .45's, and that is after some serious full auto shooting. We conducted a little experiment at my old work place where we put a round in a parts tempering chamber (1'' steel walls, and sealed 360), and gradualy increased the temperature to over 350 degrees with no "explosion", although the lead was seriously deformed (pure lead melts at 327 degrees farenheight..) Modern ammo and primers are very stable.

My vehicle gun was exposed to 6 straight days of 100+ Texas heat in my dark colored Chevy 2500 this last week, and while there may be no ill-effects, Im still loading up a fresh mag in the morning.
    Fear No Evil.

Ammo never Explodes Black powder Explodes not smokeless

Cook off yes but usually push's the bullet out of case and thats it with some loud pops

cook offs

I come from a town that was struck by a forest fire not long ago. Many homes were lost, but the fire department was there fighting. During this time I was talking to some of them about what was going on...they went on to tell me that when fighting a fire at certain houses bullets started to explode causing them to move away from that house. I can't say I have tried to cause one to explode by putting it into a fire, but I am just going off of what the fire fighters said.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I'm concerned about the case becoming the projectile.

I read Jeff Cooper's column as a teenager. He said that they all knew as kids that when a .22 was thrown into a fire all they got was a "pop."

Well.... being the kid I was I tried it. It took a few seconds for it to cook off but when it did, the empty case flew and hit the barn, where it left a small dent in the siding. Not deadly perhaps, but dangerous nonetheless.

I have to remember lead's melting point. The 327 is on of my favorite Chevy motors so it'll be easy. Thank you, hsuCowboy98.

Josh <><

Question Rimfire/Center fire

They are different.

Center fire unless contained in something that shores primer, will 'fire' the primer, not the bullet. Thus the primer becomes the projectile.

Rimfire, does not have a primer--case head is solid with priming compound spun into the folded rim. So the bullet will come out of the case--but due to the fact the case is lighter than the bullet, the case becomes the projectile.

In other words, If the ammo is not in a gun, not to worry.

I have a video done by a fire department in conjunction with Federal. they burnt a building with about 100,000 rounds of ammo in it. A nomax suit (worn by fireman) was placed in the center of the room full of ammo. Nothing penetrated the nomax suit.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

What about the opposite extreme? Is ammo left in an unheated storage area through the freezing cold winter months going to be in any way compromised?

Phil usual not it might corrode over the years faster especially if lead bullet but jacketed no

Senior Moderator
    What about the opposite extreme? Is ammo left in an unheated storage area through the freezing cold winter months going to be in any way compromised?
    It'll be slower in FPS when fired in a cold environment. If your rifle was sighted in the dead of summer and you Elk hunt in Colorado in the winter, the rifle will not shoot to the point of aim and you'll lose possibly a couple hundred fps.

I once fought a fully involved house fire in which a couple of cases of shotgun shells cooked off. It was #9 skeet shot, in a closet. The rounds popped off and threw the shot all over the place. We were wearing full turnouts with SCBA and I could barely feel it...so it didnt have much force. Our biggest concern was getting it in the eyes, which didnt worrry me since I was in an SCBA...but in reality it was no more than a minor annoyance.About the only thing that didnt burn up in that house was a gunsafe. It burrnt the paint off but the guns inside were undamaged. I was impressed enough that soon thereafter I bought one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Melting Point Pb

Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98
    (pure lead melts at 327 degrees farenheight..)
    Actually, I believe it is 327 degrees Centigrade, which is around 621 Farenheit. Double checked and it does appear to be centigrade

http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/pb.html

Still, not very hot at all.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Thats correct, my fault I was reading from the wrong line on my chart.
    Fear No Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedz
    I remember reading an article somewhere a long time ago about this subject. It said something along the lines of that even if your house was on fire the lead would become soft enough that if the powder were to ignite then it would just push the lead out without any real explosion, just a powder flash. I seriously doubt that even in texas heat the bullets would go off.
    Don't know where you saw that, but I call BS on it. I've seen rounds, many rounds, in a fire... seek cover. I've also had rounds in extremely hot situations. No problems.

I've been in a few house fires (yeah, I'm a volunteer firefighter) with ammunition popping. It generally sounds worse than it is. Without a barrel for the round to travel in, it never reaches any dangerous velocity & simply, well, pops. Sometimes, this will cause firefighters to back out of a fire, especially if there is a large amount of ammunition being stored there.

I keep my ammo in military ammunition cans, and I figure that should contain any popping ammunition.

There was an incident about 10 years ago, if I recall correctly, where a firefighter was seriously injured (or possibly killed) when a round in a revolver popped during a fire. Supposedly the projectile was able to travel down the barrel and strike a firefighter who was in line with the muzzle. I wish I could remember the details of it, because it's the only one that I'm aware of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links