What 38s and 9mm do i buy?

This is a discussion on What 38s and 9mm do i buy? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm so new to guns i'm not even there yet Tomorrow i'm heading to an indoor range/G-shop in hopes i'll fire a few .38 revolvers ...

Thread: What 38s and 9mm do i buy?

What 38s and 9mm do i buy?

I'm so new to guns i'm not even there yet
    Tomorrow i'm heading to an indoor range/G-shop in hopes i'll fire a few .38 revolvers and 9mm automatics for the purpoe of finding out what trigger type i like; a DAO, or SA/DA, etc

Where would i go to get a box of .38s and 9mm practice rounds that are good quality and price?? What am i look'n for?

I live in the middle of nowhere, which is a 3hr drive one way to this place so when i get to the "big city" i'd rather buy a box of each ammo at some discount store since i was told the range prices are jacked-up and you don't even get free popcorn........

2. Remove Ads

Whatever one is reliable, and you shoot well. Try a few and then choose one.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Every range I've been to that rents guns, you HAVE to buy their ammo. It's usually a sign saying "if you rent one of our range guns, you have to use our ammo". Or however they choose to word it. But, for your own weapons, I recommend getting your ammo from Georgia Arms. Mostly factory reloads, but they do have some new rounds. That is who I get all my target rounds from- never had a misfire, failure to feed, jam, anything. You can order from them online, Georgia-Arms.com, or (at least in this area) you can find them at gun shows. But you might be a little too far west to see them.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

i usually use Winchester white box or Blazer Brass, both have worked great for me.no problems with Speer Lawman or Magtech either..

Where would i go to get a box of .38s and 9mm practice rounds that are good quality and price?? What am i look'n for?
    Walmart will usually have Winchester Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) in white boxes. The 9mm will probably be 115 grain and the 38 special probably 130 grain. Good practice ammo. Prices at Walmart will be about as good as you will be able to find that soon. Good luck and happy shooting.

I use and like White Box, but I find it to be dirtier than wolf!

I'm sure you either meant autoloader or semiauto

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    my .38 feeds anything i put in it, i like Federal Nyclads for carry, something about em just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Call the range and see if you can use your own ammo first. Most indoor ranges in my area require you to use their ammo as RevolvingMag said. I like Ruger and S&W revolvers and Glock semi-autos to start out trying. Good Luck. Be Safe !

P.S.

You may pay a little more for the ammo at the range even if you can use your own but you will hopefully get into the good graces of management for future purchases of range time and ammo/firearms.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Yea that's the way they do it =s if one is using their guns you buy their ammo. Makes good business sense especially to maintain the investment in the guns with a little QC and make money(Box of 50s were $20 for .38s & $19 for 9mm). If you bring your own guns you can bring your own ammo thus just pay'n a flat range fee or a yearly membership. I fired 2 S&W 60's of different barrel lengths, a 642,an LCR, an SP101(all in 38spl 125gr fp-tmj,with the semi's, all 9mm, i got my hands on a Ruger SR, an S&W MP, the Sprngfld XDc, and Glock's 19 & 26. After all this trigger pull'n, and all of 'em were factory, i thought all of them were good enough for me, but firing the 60 in SA was like cutting butter with a hot knife. Thnx for input

Links