Interesting Ammo Test if you have good calipers

This is a discussion on Interesting Ammo Test if you have good calipers within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's something I seldom see discussed but it's something that affects everyone who carries a semi auto. take a box of your favorite carry ammo ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Ammo test if you have good calipers

Interesting Ammo test if you have good calipers

Here's something I seldom see discussed but it's something that affects everyone who carries a semi auto.

take a box of your favorite carry ammo and gauge the length of each round in a new box. How close to the same length are they?

then chamber each round once by allowing the slide to pick it up from the mag as it would normally. Gauge it again. You may find that the round is up to .08 shorter. Do this with all the rounds in the box...I'm assuming that box holds 20 to 25 rounds. Repeat.

Is your ammo getting shorter with each rechambering? if so, you need to set each round aside after it has been chambered once and save it for the range. If you find a brand that does not get shorter...use it.

You might be surprised when you do this test.

let the flames begin.
    After many years of consideration, I must regretfully conclude that diversity is our enemy.

2. Remove Ads

I don't have that problem as I chamber load my 92FS with care.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I am curious as to what weapon/ammunition you are using; I have never had any bullet setback even with multiple rechamberings on various weapons.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sig Sauer 1911 RCS.
    After many years of consideration, I must regretfully conclude that diversity is our enemy.

We had a thread like this a while back. I was surprised to see that there was a visible difference. I was using speer gold dots. Just sitting upright side by side you could tell. The solution was to chamber a round once and then it went to the range.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I did the same experiment a while back, chambering one of my .45 reloads, a Speer 230 GD, and a Win 230 PDX1 ten times each and then remeasuring. The reload setback about .01", which I expected due to the case being reloaded numerous times. The GD setback almost the same amount. The PDX1 barely budged. What did I make of it? No much, unless one chooses to chamber/unchamber a round numerous times.

I don't make a habit of rechambering rounds, so I'm not concerned. The reloads get chambered at the range and sent downstream. The SD rounds pretty much stay chambered. None of my guns require slamming the slide home to go into battery.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

And This Shorter Ammo Affects What.. How?

Dr Guido said in part..

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Guido View Post
    take a box of your favorite carry ammo and gauge the length of each round in a new box. How close to the same length are they?

Is your ammo getting shorter with each rechambering? if so, you need to set each round aside after it has been chambered once and save it for the range. If you find a brand that does not get shorter...use it.
    OK.. I'll bite. And the shorter ammo affects what.. how?

FireStar M40

GM
    Yep, it is true. Bullet setback is a very real issue and you can easily see the difference. I never chamber a round more than 2 or 3 times depending of the ammo used, after that it becomes range ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStar M40 View Post
    Dr Guido said in part..

FireStar M40

If the bullet sets back the available volume inside the case decreases, and it implies increased chamber pressures.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by FireStar M40 View Post
    Dr Guido said in part..

FireStar M40

Increased pressure, with possible catastrophic effect.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

While I am aware of setback, it is not something I lose sleep over.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Firstly, .080 is a LONG WAY for a bullet to get pushed further into the cartridge, maybe .008, but .08 is almost a tenth of an inch! I'd be choosing different ammo if they were that easily shoved back in. Secondly, if a couple chamberings is all it takes to shove it back some distance, is it really going to take THAT much extra pressure to fire it back out, when the time comes? I'm no ballistics expert but my logic (flawgic?) circuits are poppin'!

I eyeball my Federal HST's and haven't noticed any setback by eyeball,I'm usually carrying either a colt 1911 commander ,Sig 229 40,or M&P 45c.I do reload so I have all the equipment to check bullets,In 45 acp and 9mm,I'm not as worried about a little setback,but 40 S&W I pay a lot closer attention to due to it being a high pressure round
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

RKM
    I usually eyeball my ammo and rotate the chambered round to the bottom of the mag. The DPX I carry doesn't setback, because it has a nice crimp in the case. But, I've found from repeated chambering, the bullet will actually become loose. But that's repeated chambering, like 10 times maybe. My PDX1 that I carry in my Mk40 doesn't look like it setsback, but the tip of the bullet does get little snag marks. But I've never noticed setback.

I don't think setback that isn't visible to the naked eye is going to cause much of a concern. But if the round is shoved back .08", that you can see with your naked eye comparing it to a new round out of the box.

Lead Moderator
    I found Federal hydroshocks would set back quickly when I was carrying them in my SA Champ. I somewhat depends on the gun and ammo combo.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Wouldn't a significant setback indicate a potential feed problem?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links