Best 45acp FMJ for Carry? - Page 2

Best 45acp FMJ for Carry?

This is a discussion on Best 45acp FMJ for Carry? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dr Guido I surrender. I swear by all that is Holy in the Firearms world that Speer Gold Dots will be my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Best 45acp FMJ for Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Guido View Post
    I surrender. I swear by all that is Holy in the Firearms world that Speer Gold Dots will be my choice. I chose them over Golden Sabers because they have a special load for short barrels and my gun has a 4.25" barrel. And, of course, I've shot about a hundred rounds of them and not one has caused any problems whatsoever.

You guys (and gals...sorry for my bad PC error) are fun, that's for sure.

All my base are belong to you.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum. I have learned so much since I started reading and posting here. There are a lot of very well informed members who are more than willing to help out.

Welcome to the forum.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'm not quite as hollow point, expanding bullet oriented as most are and have carried 230 grain round nose FMJ in the .45 ACP. I can only base my experience on various critters shot with non-expanding .45 ACP bullets, but all tended to go down for the count and stay shot with any kind of a decent hit at all. I'd feel very confident with a .45 auto loaded with military ball equivalent ammunition.

The expanding FMJ idea has merit.

It would be difficult and perhaps pointless to determine which is the best and which is the worst 230 grain FMJ ammunition among the choices marketed by ammo makers. As long as it is sure-fire and attains velocities that approximate military spec. ammunition then all FMJ ammunition is pretty much the same and will give the same function in the pistol and the same terminal ballistic performance. Another way of looking at it is that any assailant could be said to be having a bad day if fairly struck with the worst 230 grain FMJ ammunition on the market.

"I prefer a FMJ round because I want to be as certain as possible that the BG I shoot has two, and not one hole in him so he will have a better chance of bleeding out before an ambulance can arrive."

I'm also not too wrapped up in the notion that one must promote expansion due to over-penetration worries, but an anticipated exit hole isn't the complete answer to an effective stop either. It is certain that spending much time at all dwelling on the relative chances of bad guys bleeding out before an ambulance can arrive smacks of unnecessary callousness and exhibits a bloodthirsty mind set in dealing with an assailant. By all means, have a mindset to prevail and an effective stop is needed, but being desirous of someone's lifeblood ebbing out before help can arrive isn't part of the self-defense equation.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Corbon Poweballs are what I go to if I get a 1911 that has feeding issues. the feed ability of a FMJ with maximum trama.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

All my base are belong to you.
    LOL. Haven't heard that in a looooong time! Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "I prefer a FMJ round because I want to be as certain as possible that the BG I shoot has two, and not one hole in him so he will have a better chance of bleeding out before an ambulance can arrive."

I'm also not too wrapped up in the notion that one must promote expansion due to over-penetration worries, but an anticipated exit hole isn't the complete answer to an effective stop either. It is certain that spending much time at all dwelling on the relative chances of bad guys bleeding out before an ambulance can arrive smacks of unnecessary callousness and exhibits a bloodthirsty mind set in dealing with an assailant. By all means, have a mindset to prevail and an effective stop is needed, but being desirous of someone's lifeblood ebbing out before help can arrive isn't part of the self-defense equation.
    My apologies, but have you ever been shot?
    After many years of consideration, I must regretfully conclude that diversity is our enemy.

Gentlemen, Thank you again for your input and concern. I prefer a FMJ round because I want to be as certain as possible that the BG I shoot has two, and not one hole in him so he will have a better chance of bleeding out before an ambulance can arrive. Nobody ever died from a gunshot wound unless a sniper hit them in the Medula Oblongota with a head shot. They bleed out.

So, if anyone has any experience with these FMJ rounds, I'd appreciate your input.
    Actually, two holes doesn't guarantee that the bleed out will be better. I've seen several people shot by 5.56 ball, who continued to be able to fight after a through and through hit. Taking out a major blood vessel, or organ like the heart, lungs, or liver will end the threat better than an exit wound, as if they are bleeding out internally with only an entrance wound, they are still going to bleed to death.

A side effect of the energy reducing properties of a JHP or EFMJ is that they expand while they lose power, that expansion creates a larger wound cavity, and gives a greater chance of hitting something vital, due to the increased diameter.

.45ACP FMJ certainly can get the job done just fine, and if I had only one .45 that just couldn't feed JHP reliably, I would carry it until I could get a .45 that could feed JHP reliably. My point there is, defense technology, including ammunition has evolved over the past 100 years, I see no reason not to take advantage of technology to give yourself the greatest chance of surviving a lethal encounter.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If I HAD to carry an FMJ round, I would insist on a top-tier roumd from any of the major manufacturers. The reason woild be quality control. I would avoid the bulk, target or generic brands like WWB or UMC or American Eagle and pick a premium load. I do not think the flat point makes any difference in performance on target personally, and I don't want any problems with reliability.

Good choice of Gold Dot.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    This thread is disconcerting.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

yea...I just wanted some info on some ammo, but it did go horribly wrong. I wish some admin would just delete the entire thread.
    After many years of consideration, I must regretfully conclude that diversity is our enemy.

To get back on track, take a look at Buffalobore and DoubleTap. They both have some relatively hot 45 APC FMJ offerings.
    Alarm Guy likes this.

I'd go with Black Hills...oh in fact sometimes I do go with Black Hills FMJ.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

ah...Buffalo Bore has a 230 grain flat nose...I wonder how that would feed. Double tap has a nice FMJ round nose match round....thanks.

230 grain Federal HST. The best bar none. If my gun did not feed it properly (hard to imagine with any modern handgun) I would replace the gun with one that did. With the quarters size permanent wound cavity it creates each and every time, bleeding out will not be an issue. Any well placed shot with an HST will absolutely positively with out a doubt stop any human assailant.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Two things I didn't catch, if the answers exist are that:
    A. Get a "real" gunsmith to do a full ramo polish job on you weapon. I carry a 1911 Gold Cup, series 70 that was totally reworked by the late Austin Behlert, one of the best 'smiths ever.

B. I always shoot "Double Taps", two shots at a time and aim for center mass. If that doesn't out the BG down, RUN. Seriously, he may be wearing armor, so go for head shot.

C. My 1911 will easily feed empties, and completely cycle. and the hell with the cost, you're life is worth more than the cost, no matter how high.

And yes, I've been shot, twice with 9mm, and Im still here to talk about it. What you want to do is to stop BG, and weather he dies or not, you want to stop any further agression.
    So the bottom line is to look for a brand and weight you not feel comfortable with, those follow up shots are important, which in my opinion is why the .357 or .44 mag suck.
    And practice, practice, practice, always Double Taps, and try out a load of different brands, both bullet weights and powder loads. You'll come across one that your weapon really likes. I've seen two pistols with consecutive serial numbers shoot vastly different with the same brand. Suggestions are goo but is your life on the line and ya gotta feel comfortable. Cause I'm really getting sick and tired attending funerals that shouldn't shouldn't have happened.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    LOL. Haven't heard that in a looooong time! Thx!
    Curious what does it mean it makes no sense to my ignorant umm rear. Reads like horrific grammar.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links