9MM SD Ammo

This is a discussion on 9MM SD Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TSiWRX Anything that makes Dr. Roberts' list is good-to-go, as far as I'm concerned. - Agreed. Find a round from that list ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 9MM SD Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Anything that makes Dr. Roberts' list is good-to-go, as far as I'm concerned.
    - Agreed. Find a round from that list and make sure it feeds well in your gun. After you find a round that feeds well, stop worrying about ballistics and then focus on shot placement. It's more important than anything else.

For the record, I use Speer Gold Dot 124grain +P (Short Barrel) in my Kahr PM9 and Glock 19. It's a very accurate round and feeds perfectly.
    oneshot likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I recently bought a LC9, and I would like to use the +P ammo; however, the manual that came with the gun advised to not use +P in the LC9. What are you guys thoughts on this?
    Correction...I have my LC9 manual right here and it states, "Although the Ruger LC9 is capable of functioning with 9mm +P ammunition, a steady diet of +P ammunition will shorten the endurance life of the Ruger LC9. You should never shoot +P+ ammunition in your Ruger LC9. There are no SAAMI or CIP pressure limits on 9mm +P+ and use of this ammunition could result in serious injury."

I shot some Federal HST 9mm +P 124 gr in mine and couldn't tell much difference in recoil from the Federal Champion 9mm 115gr FMJ. Like Ruger states use +P in moderation, not as a steady diet.
    Proud NRA member

Cor-Bon 115Gr +P 9MM is what I carry in my Glock 9MM Guns. Cor-Bon across the board is what also stokes my other guns across the board. This is the DPX all copper round. I have lots and loaded up before the '08 Election's.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I've Always been Leary of the 147 Grain in 9mm due to Hear say that it was known for over penetration & Lack of Expansion.Which are the Two things i 'Do' Expect for a Self Defense Round.. For the last 4 years i carried HST 124+p & am content on that round. But i tried a comparison between the 124+p / 147 gr HST / 147+p HST & i am Very Impressed with the 147 +P & it is my new Current Self Defense Round. It has Pressure to Back the Weight and help boost Expansion, so the worry of a slow/heavy round isnt much of Concern in this case. The 147 HST's have Longer/Deeper Cuts in the Serrations on the side of the Jacket, which are longer Cuts than on the 124gr. Longer cuts only on the 147 gr Bullet tells me they put time & thought into this round and helps the round expand at slower speeds. Its Accurate & it has not failed me yet. Speer gold dots are a Great round as well, Although, the standard pressure 147 HST is in General one of the best rounds available for a 9mm in my opinion. Several personal tests with water jugs have Never shown a Fail to Expand to a Ballpark .730 range, Some Expanded to .831.....ive seen some tore up and bent jackets but i always get the perfect "HST Flower". And No, i Dont work for Federal, Im just some Oilfield guy ;)

9mm Gelatin Ballistic Data

Here's the ballistic data I've collected:

9mm Ballistcs.png

Jake
    Last edited by snakyjake; May 12th, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
    MikeNice likes this.

Looks Like you have all your info Needed Right before your Eyes. Just Depends if you use this Firearm strictly for Home Defense, Or do you Carry & use it as Self Defense? What type of weather does your state have year round? If it's Somewhere where jackets & Heavy Clothing are wore Most of the Year, Penetration is important. So is Shooting into & Out of Auto Glass. Here n Texas, Penetration is not much of an issue as Most Wear T-Shirts year round (Except for Leather Jacket Biker Gangs) But there is still a Factor of an Enemy Having his/her Arm in Front of their Vitals That im aiming for, & the Round Penetrating Deep enough to pass through the arm & Hit the Main Areas Needed to hit to Take that person down and Still achieving Full Expansion.. All Must be taken into Consideration when choosing a Carry Defense Round. Which is why i recently chose the 147+p HST over the 124+p HST I Carried & Trust for the past 4 years (Great Round Still) The 147gr Has the couple of inches of Penetration if i Need it, Expands to Higher Diameters, & is Not in the "Old School 147 Grain Category that was prone to O/P & Not Expand. The HST 124 & 147 are Engineered Different on the Jacket to give Expansion Reguardless of Weight. In My Opinion- More Weight,Higher Expansion,& Deeper Penetration is fine with me.

Corbon DPX

Do you have any ballistic gelatin data (penetration & expansion) for the HST 147+p?

Here is a good site for you to research different loads or send your own in to be tested

Gel testing

Here is some Doc Roberts testing:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26390

147+P

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    Do you have any ballistic gelatin data (penetration & expansion) for the HST 147+p?
    No i have none, and i cannot find any Gel tests muchless any Data regarding this round except a couple of Reviews from other people that bought the rounds.The Best i can claim for personal experience was on a recent Hog Hunt, Where a 220 lb Boar Hog walked below the Box Blind @ 50 ft. My RRA AR-15 was being cleaned and the upper and lower were apart so i was not able to use my normal "Hog Gun" But did not want this Beast to get away. I Always Carry my XDM 9 as a side arm while in the woods.The Hog stopped to eat some corn and gave me a Good Shot. I fired once and hit Right behind the Neck, The Boar Fell flat on his side and started kicking.I waited to make sure he wouldn't get back up and attack me(And they Will) but he didn't look like he was going to get back up I hopped out of the blind and put another round to the head @ about 20 Ft- The Legs Stopped moving & the Boar was done for Good. The Wound to The Head showed the the round easily Penetrated the skull & Expanded properly. the Exit wound to the head was impressive & was Larger than i expected for a 9mm round Vs a 220 lb Thick Skinned Varmint. I Am Confident that if a 220 lb Hairy,Slimebag 'Mammal' Ever Decides to Sneak through my window in the Middle of the Night, That it's Not going to make it back home after being hit with one of these "Flying Ashtrays". Sorry for the Ramble, Just my Experience with the HST 147+P

That's a great experience on so many levels (I think I need to go boar hunting)! Good to see a 9mm doing a great job, and how shot placement is key.

From my understanding, +P shows most of its advantage in making sure the bullet expands from short barrels, or going through hard barrier. As you've seen, the bullet exited, which is undesirable by some. But a bullet that does exits creates two bleed holes instead of one. So I'd say in soft barrier, if you want a bullet to exit, stick to 147 +P. If you don't want the 147 to exit, use standard pressure. From the data I've collected, the HST 147g in standard pressure if outstanding in heavy clothing gelatin.

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    That's a great experience on so many levels (I think I need to go boar hunting)! Good to see a 9mm doing a great job, and how shot placement is key.

From my understanding, +P shows most of its advantage in making sure the bullet expands from short barrels, or going through hard barrier. As you've seen, the bullet exited, which is undesirable by some. But a bullet that does exits creates two bleed holes instead of one. So I'd say in soft barrier, if you want a bullet to exit, stick to 147 +P. If you don't want the 147 to exit, use standard pressure. From the data I've collected, the HST 147g in standard pressure if outstanding in heavy clothing gelatin.

Well you have to Realize that a Headshot is a smaller target and different in size than the rest of the object. In other words, its smaller in mass than a torso area of a human or an animal. The round that was placed behind the Neck, Didnt Exit. The Headshot was at a closer distance so there was more energy going into that shot, And with it being a smaller Target, The Exit was understandable. Keep in Mind Boars have very thick skin so Penetration at the Least is Lucky...But, To Drop a Hog of That size you know it had to go deep and do some damage while it was still moving. The reason i opted for the +P was the FPS of a 147 grain projectile given the extra "Boost" for Reliable expansion, And keep Under Expansion something i 'wont' have to worry about. But i really dont think its an issue for the HST round as ive never seen it fail to Expand. When you compare a 124+p HST round to a 147;147+P - You will see the Extra Cuts down the side of the Bullet that almost touches the Casing, Made to Induce Expansion at a lower speed of travel. With those Deep Long cuts it was Designed for Expansion, But i dont want it to Expand to Early either. The extra +p boost just gives it some more speed to help with an equal balance of penetration and expansion. Not that much more penetration over the 147 standard pressure. I guess the +P is just more of a "comfort in my mind" and it was the lucky bullet that proved itself on a Living Creature. Either one is a Great round and the 9mm is not a pea shooter like some think. the recovered rounds ive seen are equal,& in some cases larger in size to a .40 Gold Dot my friend Carrys. He is a 9mm Nazi and he was Very impressed.

For what's it worth (which on the internet isn't much) I load my 9mm with whatever happens to be easily available to me (which happens to be 124grain +p Golden Sabre). If anyone ever comes at me with a deadly weapon I plan to put as many rounds as I can COM as fast as I can, which with a 9mm is pretty darn fast. A one shot stop would be nice, but a five shot stop that saves my life is fine with me. If you can get your hands on it on a regular basis, afford to shoot it and know where point of impact is with the gun you carry then you've done what you can reasonably expect to you. Don't beat yourself up over ammo or caliber, just know your gun, load and capability, keep calm and carry on. God keep you and happy shooting!
    AZ Hawk likes this.

Not to downplay over penetration, but I don't think that it's something you should worry too much about in a SD shooting. The bigger danger is missed shots.

Federal Tactical HST in 147gr is the best 9mm SD round I've seen to date. I've seen reports of the bullets expanding up to .815" at the widest point. On average, however, the bullets expand from .67 to .72, which is well above average for 9mm hollow points. The CorBon DPX loads have very similar performance, but they cost up to three times as much per round.

That being said, it isn't a "magic bullet," and placement is key, just as it is with any other round. You'll be perfectly fine with any bullet which penetrates from 12" to 18" and consistently and uniformly expands.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links