9MM SD Ammo - Page 5

9MM SD Ammo

This is a discussion on 9MM SD Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LongRider It was a podcast from their radio show awhile back as I recall They dropped a charging boar like a sack ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 9MM SD Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    It was a podcast from their radio show awhile back as I recall They dropped a charging boar like a sack of potatoes with HST Mas was very impressed by what he saw when they butchered it. I am on the way out the door right now. Have some rabid zombie cans that need to be stopped, but if you like I'll post the link when I get back
    Awesome, thanks.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Here is the iTunes link scroll down to #63 Podcast 023 High Quality for Your Caliber. They have some other great topics, entertaining and informative. Hope that helps
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I carry either Federal HST 124+P,or Winchester Ranger 124+P T series,I carry the same brands in 40 and 45 also
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Yes, you can probably find someone who can sell it to you legally. Nonetheless, this could be a problem if you have to use it for self-defense and have to prove it in court. The lawyers could claim that you used ammo that was intended for "law enforcement only" and get you in trouble. I would just use a type of ammo that is used by law enforcement, but that on the box it does not state "Law Enforcement Only". Just a precaution!
    It is a legal ammo to own, Winchesters company policy is not to sell it outside of LE channels or to authorized distributors. I can find the Ranger-Ts all over the place at the local gun shops around Fort Bragg. I had a friend who was involved in a shooting and was taken to court. The DA brought up the fact that the package of ammo he has was the 50 count LE box of Speer Gold Dots. When asked why he was using that type of ammo in his gun he stated "the Speer God Dots have a proven track record of being very reliable ammo, after reading reports of the ammo and testing the ammo in my weapon I determined that it functioned very well in my pistol and I carried it as such under the provision of my CPL." He further stated that he legally purchased the ammo from both online dealers and local gun shops in the area and at no time did he have to sign anything or produce any paperwork stating he was a member of a LE agency.

Here is the iTunes link scroll down to #63 Podcast 023 High Quality for Your Caliber. They have some other great topics, entertaining and informative. Hope that helps
    Thanks!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowp84 View Post
    The Best i can claim for personal experience was on a recent Hog Hunt, Where a 220 lb Boar Hog walked below the Box Blind @ 50 ft. My RRA AR-15 was being cleaned and the upper and lower were apart so i was not able to use my normal "Hog Gun" But did not want this Beast to get away. I Always Carry my XDM 9 as a side arm while in the woods.The Hog stopped to eat some corn and gave me a Good Shot. I fired once and hit Right behind the Neck, The Boar Fell flat on his side and started kicking.I waited to make sure he wouldn't get back up and attack me(And they Will) but he didn't look like he was going to get back up I hopped out of the blind and put another round to the head @ about 20 Ft- The Legs Stopped moving & the Boar was done for Good.
    Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    It was a podcast from their radio show awhile back as I recall They dropped a charging boar like a sack of potatoes with HST Mas was very impressed by what he saw when they butchered it. I am on the way out the door right now. Have some rabid zombie cans that need to be stopped, but if you like I'll post the link when I get back
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't think one needs to worry about penetration too much with the 9 mm. I think the opposite is true. I have dug name brand 9mm slugs out of ferral dogs that I shoot around here , just to find them not completely getting through both lungs. So for me, I go with the 147 +p bullets for maximum penetration.
    With All that Said, It Seems We have a Recordable Trend going on Here. If These Animals are getting taken out Regularly with a Pistol Cartridge, Which Most Hunters Use .223 at Minimum- Then We Have a Very good Bullet Design, and a Reliable last Resort Hunting Load used on Medium/Heavy Animals - In 9mm, With Massad Ayoob as a Witness. a Wild Boar is a Very good Example of Scenarios you may run across with a Human (Heavy,Thick Skinned,And Will attack You) Given my witness Accounts with this round, As Well as Professionals in this Area's Personal Experiences , I Trust this Load for Self Defense 99% in all Calibers -without Any Doubt.

HST for Me

Of the 3 the OP asked about I would go with the bonded speer gd, less chance of jacket / core separation and more controlled expansion lead to better penetration. Having said that, I carry Federal HST 147 or 147 +p in my Glock g26 and yes, I realize they are not bonded, but still perform best IMHO for 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    Here's the ballistic data I've collected:

Attachment 25074

Jake
    the test data on the corbon dpx was much different than what I saw. I got almost 3/4 inch on my tests and the same penetration at 15 Inches Do you remember if the cavity on the DPX was jammed with blue jean matierial?
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

From all my constant reading on even more threads, the consensus seems to be to choose a load that meets FBI criteria, and make sure the round has enough pressure to cycle a semi-auto. Other than that, the differences are not enough to make a real difference.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ That's where I arrived, too.

The big thing is that after you've made a choice, that your chosen round cycles - feeds and fires - through your firearm without issue.

There's really no way I could have foreseen the HST not feeding ideally through my Kahr PM9, nor the Cor-Bon DPX not feeding well, at all, through my SR9c. You've got to do your due-diligence and give the rounds a first-hand evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by whodog View Post
    When in an apartment or very thin walls, you may want a lower energy round???
    That is a great scenario for using the CD ammo. The design is intended to penetrate heavy clothing and still expand. Hornady admits that CD is not designed for barrier penetration. It can still be lethal after passing through a wall. However, enough energy will be shed that the chances are reduced.

CD ammo consistently gets between 11.2 and 12.3 inches in testing I've seen. It is designed to be easy to shoot and expand 100% of the time. That meant making a compromise on things like barrier penetration. It will work for 90% of the cases where a civilian has to actually shoot. I would not discount the round or disparage anyone that carried it.

For me I like to be ready for the other 10% of times a person might have to shoot. So, I carry 147gr Winchester Ranger Bonded. I would also carry Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T, or Speer Gold Dot. All of those rounds have a proven record in the real worlr.

LA County Sheriff's Departmet carried the Winchester Ranger T. The NYPD carrys Speer Gold Dot. I believe San Diego uses the HST. The department I work for issues the 180gr HST in .40 and will use the 124gr+p when they transition back to 9mm. The guys that trust their lives to handguns use those rounds for two reasons. They simply do the job and they do it consistently.

To the OP:

I would carry the Gold Dot. It is the LE round sold in 20 round boxes for civilians. Also, the Hydra Shoks are an older design that are inconsistent when going through fabric. The Golden Saber is also a bit older and has issues with the jacket seperating from the core.
    Last edited by MikeNice; July 15th, 2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: change penetrate to expand

9mm SD rounds are sure getting expensive. I carry Federal HST 147 Gr. +P, and I remember 2 or 3 years ago it was $19.99 a box/50 at ammo to go, now it's almost $30! Might as well carry. 40 or .357 Sig at those prices.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    I would carry the Gold Dot. It is the LE round sold in 20 round boxes for civilians.
    ^ Just a quick note to say that in most cases, where you'll find the 20-round boxes, it'll also be at least a little - if not a lot - over-priced.

Seek sources which retail the 50-round boxes: prices tend to be much more reasonable.
    MikeNice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    9mm SD rounds are sure getting expensive. I carry Federal HST 147 Gr. +P, and I remember 2 or 3 years ago it was $19.99 a box/50 at ammo to go, now it's almost $30! Might as well carry. 40 or .357 Sig at those prices.
    ...except .40 or .357s are even more expensive than the 9mm...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links