9MM SD Ammo

This is a discussion on 9MM SD Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to start carrying a LC9 9mm, barrel 3.12", for CC. I know it depends on what ammo feeds the best for your weapon but ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 9MM SD Ammo

9MM SD Ammo

Going to start carrying a LC9 9mm, barrel 3.12", for CC. I know it depends on what ammo feeds the best for your weapon but say all three of the below feed well which would be best for carry. I'm looking for a stop with a double tap, however since we are responsable for were that bullet ends up I don't want nothing that will exit the threat so, I'm trying to decide either Federal 124gr hydro shok, Golden Saber 124gr +p JHP or Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP. Thanks for your opinion.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    The Gold Dot is the best choice of the three, as far as looking for a double tap to 100% insure a stop ................ not happening,
    RebelRabbi, MikeNice and Fisher10 like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I like the Gold Dot and that is my Go-To ammo. Nothing wrong with the Golden Saber. I also like Ranger or Hornady. I like the 124 gr. +P loading in 9mm.

There will be no guarantees regarding stopping with a double tap, nor if any of the bullets will exit the body. There are just too many variables. However, if you do your job regarding shot placement while under extreme stress, your ammo selection should do an acceptable job. But to go into the equation expecting a double tap producing a somewhat immediate stop, or that your rounds won't exit the body is kind of an expectation which could end up giving you a big surprise.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    AMM-406 - Ammo 9mm Federal JHP 115 Grain +P+ 50 Round Box Recommended for Law Enforcement Classic Hi-Shok

Just ordered myself 2 boxes for the year. Great stuff. Next to that, I would go with the Speer 124gn +p followed by the Golden Saber 124gn +p
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would go with the Speer Gold Dot 124-grain +P JHP or Federal HST 124-grain JHP.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

any one of your 3 choices would make a good carry round,i have Speer 124gr+p in my Kahr cw9...Federal HST's are also a good performer as well..
    BeauNC likes this.

VIP Member
    Good 9mm SD ammo can sometimes be hard to find in bulk. I suggest you buy whatever you can get and make sure it runs well in your gun.

I like these in order of preference:

Federal HST
    Speer Gold Dot
    Winchester Ranger SXT
    Federal Hydra Shock
    Remington Gold Saber

Any of these will do the job. Buy them when you can get them in bulk/for a good price and stock them deep. I usually buy 250 rds of SD ammo when I make a purchase. Then I shoot two boxes through my gun to insure that it works. After testing I still have three boxes of the good stuff and it lasts me another couple of years before I buy again.

ETA: I just want to point out that the good stuff can be has in 50 round boxes for around $25 a box. Don't buy the 20 round boxes of SD ammo at your local stores because you pay a much higher price per round (about double).

Look here for ammo...link:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....c0759154a78f45

ATG has HSTs at $27 a box and Gold Dots at $24 a box right now. Get it!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Just my two cents, but I'm very fond of the Winchester Ranger SXT in my 9mm. It is supposed to be Law Enforcement only, (it is the old "Black Talon" minus the Teflon coating) and my M&P9c just loves them. Winchester's rules say Law enforcement only, but there are a few places that will sell to anyone.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Just my two cents, but I'm very fond of the Winchester Ranger SXT in my 9mm. It is supposed to be Law Enforcement only, (it is the old "Black Talon" minus the Teflon coating) and my M&P9c just loves them. Winchester's rules say Law enforcement only, but there are a few places that will sell to anyone.
    Yes, you can probably find someone who can sell it to you legally. Nonetheless, this could be a problem if you have to use it for self-defense and have to prove it in court. The lawyers could claim that you used ammo that was intended for "law enforcement only" and get you in trouble. I would just use a type of ammo that is used by law enforcement, but that on the box it does not state "Law Enforcement Only". Just a precaution!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Does anyone have experience with the Hornady Critical Defense 115g?

I don't think one needs to worry about penetration too much with the 9 mm. I think the opposite is true. I have dug name brand 9mm slugs out of ferral dogs that I shoot around here , just to find them not completely getting through both lungs. So for me, I go with the 147 +p bullets for maximum penetration.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I believe Gold Dot makes a 9mm short barrel which you might try, in addition to these at this website.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

9mm

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)

Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)

Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

You might notice that the list does NOT include any lightweight bullets with the exception of the Barnes 115gr version. The reason - especially if you've read the beginning of this article - should be clear already, but Doctor Roberts sums it up nicely as well: "With the exception of the Barnes 115 gr XPB all copper projectile, in general, most 9 mm 115 gr loads have demonstrated greater inconsistency, insufficient penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, and failure to expand in denim testing than other 9mm bullets. For those individuals wanting to use lighter weight, supersonic 9 mm’s, I think a better alternative than the vast majority of 115 gr loads is to use the slightly heavier 124 to 127 gr bullets or the Barnes 115 gr all copper bullet"
    TVJ and snakyjake like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Federal HST 124gr +P for my LC9 and Glock 19.
    Proud NRA member

Of the three original choices I'd pick the standard pressure Hydra Shok. I don't use much +p unless I have to.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Adrjunkie View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Hornady Critical Defense 115g?
    When reading the ballistics it appears to be a low energy round.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links