"Cut Shells" Field Expedient Shotgun Slugs

This is a discussion on "Cut Shells" Field Expedient Shotgun Slugs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank you I have learned something new today. We have a guy up here that takes target loads, disassemebles them and melts the shot into ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "Cut Shells" Field Expedient Shotgun Slugs

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Thank you I have learned something new today. We have a guy up here that takes target loads, disassemebles them and melts the shot into a slug mold with a torch.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I learned that when I was about 8 years old. It works great on mean dogs. Also works great on bee hives up in the trees when you want to shoot them down.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thats a keeper right there!

Spectacular! I learned something very useful

I'm gonna try it in my single shot .410
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by FileJunkie View Post
    Very, very old idea. I was told that in old times, when paper shells were in use, some people used their teeth to bite the shell and defend themselves from a bear while having only birdshot loads.
    Really want to try it with my old double-barreled and a pack of crappy rounds, but afraid of damaging it - it's really old (made in 1959) and has pretty narrow chokes..
    HEY! I'm sensitive... I was "made" in 1950, and I don't consider myself "really old"!!!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You're human and not old, cheap Soviet shotgun is :)
    bmcgilvray and RevolvingMag like this.
    English is not my native language and I may sometimes use incorrect terms. Feel free to correct me if you feel like doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by FileJunkie View Post
    You're human and not old, cheap Soviet shotgun is :)
    Hah FileJunkie;

I'm a couple years older than your shotgun so thought to make a wise crack about this "old" business yesterday. Typed it out and then saw your signature comment at the bottom of your post regarding English not being your native language so deleted it our of concerns that you might not understand that I was kidding. Your response to gasmitty indicates that nothing is wrong with your English comprehension.

Glad your here on the Forum.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I've just tried cut shells.
    First one worked as it should, but second one worked just as usual shotshell, and when I opened the bolt, I saw two pieces of the shell case.
    English is not my native language and I may sometimes use incorrect terms. Feel free to correct me if you feel like doing it.

No thanks. Seems like it would be too easy to get a barrel obstruction. Maybe if I was surrounded by zombies, but not to try just for fun on Youtube.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Very cool! going to have to remember this one when the Zombies attack.

One thing I find kind of interesting though is that we have hand gun rounds designed to do this (Glazers) is anybody producing a shotshell designed to do this?

It seems to me a 12ga load of BB pellets encased in a thin plastic "bullet" (for lack of a better term) could provide devastating effect on target while minimizing the over penetration problem in home defense. I don't what to get into the birdshot debate, I am just wondering if this approach might make birdshot more effective while retaining the benefits.

Just curious.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Try it with with buck shot, its loads of fun.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post

One thing I find kind of interesting though is that we have hand gun rounds designed to do this (Glazers) is anybody producing a shotshell designed to do this?

It seems to me a 12ga load of BB pellets encased in a thin plastic "bullet" (for lack of a better term) could provide devastating effect on target while minimizing the over penetration problem in home defense. I don't what to get into the birdshot debate, I am just wondering if this approach might make birdshot more effective while retaining the benefits.

Just curious.
    All shot size debates aside, I personally would not modify any round I would be using for self defense.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Very interesting, I'll have to try it next time I take the shotty out. Thanks for the post.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post

If you want to make a Glazer for shotgun, the much better idea is to.. oh, OK, my English terms knowledge is not perfect, but I'll try to explain and will be happy if anyone will help me with terms.

Take the plastic wad. Cut it into three parts: obturator, damper and shot cup. Put obturator onto the powder into the shell case, optionally add some carton obturators, any wad (I used universal 12/16/20Ga wads made from polystyrene) and one more obturator. Take the shot cup, put some buckshot in it (I used #3 buck, 5x5 pellets) and put it into the case backwards, so It'll fly bottom first. Crimp the case.
    As a result, you'll make a shotshell with shot cup inserted backwards.
    I tried such shells with #3 buck and #7 birdshot using my Benelli Supernova with 18.5" cylinder barrel. Shot cups with buckshot flew just like slugs on 50 meters, but shot cups with birdshot started losing the shot on 10 meters.

Such shells are factory-made by our local factory called СКМ (SCM), who licensed the idea from Cheddite, but SCM-made shells use T birdshot being marketed as long-distance shotshells for geese hunters, and this shells are crappy and unpredictable. My handloaded shells with buckshot worked much better.

Quote Originally Posted by derbow View Post
    That probably only works in single shots or double barrels. I would think you would have problems with something like that in a pump gun. Has anyone here ever tried it in a pump or semi-auto?
    Just saw this thread...
    I have shot them single shot out of a pump. I have not tried feeding them and the guy that showed me/us this trick, John Farnam, said they were good for one shot. They certainly leave one massive hole.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links