"Cut Shells" Field Expedient Shotgun Slugs

This is a discussion on "Cut Shells" Field Expedient Shotgun Slugs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cuda66 All shot size debates aside, I personally would not modify any round I would be using for self defense. The premise ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "Cut Shells" Field Expedient Shotgun Slugs

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    All shot size debates aside, I personally would not modify any round I would be using for self defense.
    The premise isn't to modify a self defense round, it's to give you a self defense round when you might not have one. Like if you are out quail hunting with a 28 ga and #9 shot and a rabid dog (or zombie) chases you up a tree ;^)

2. Remove Ads

Cool video. Michigan allows deer hunting with cut shells.

But there is one mistake of fact in the video. You claim slugs weren't invented until 1931, but that is untrue. Wilhelm Brenneke invented the shotgun slug in 1898, a full 33 years before your claim.

History of Slugs
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Hi Tubby;

I didn't make the video or claim that slugs weren't invented until 1931. I'm guessing the fellow in the clip was making reference to the Foster slug. There were other designs that were available prior to 1931.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My apologies. I thought you were in the video.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

My dad showed me how he used to cut shells. He referred to them as "punkins". He always used the old paper shells and they worked quite well for hunting deer in upstate NY so many years ago. I have tried it a few times to get after unruly porcupines, badgers, etc and it seems to get the job done. I once tried some just to find out what kind of range you could get out of them and was very surprised to be able to hit a rock that was about 10" in diameter at 100 yds pretty consistently. It seems like I was loading them singly into my Ithaca M37, but they worked well. I don't know that I would want to try it with a full choke though. I have never tried it with plastic shells, just the old Federal paper shells of yesteryear.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links