Bullet Setback ..........

This is a discussion on Bullet Setback .......... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the range today with the purpose of shooting my primary concealed carry guns. The Glock 23 and Glock 36 were flawless with mixed ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Bullet Setback ..........

Cool Bullet Setback ..........

Went to the range today with the purpose of shooting my primary concealed carry guns.

The Glock 23 and Glock 36 were flawless with mixed FMJ's and Speer Gold Dot and Remington Golden Saber carry ammo as always.

When I went to shoot the Diamondback BUG the first rounds were Speer Lawman FMJ. One shot and then a failure to feed with the round lodged halfway in the barrel at an angle. Stripped the mag out and the round came out with the bullet setback in the case about 1/16". Fired two more rounds and again a failure to feed with the same results as the first with the bullet setback in the case.

I replaced the FMJ with Speer Gold Dot and fired two flawless magazines through the DB. Went back to the FMJ and the first round I attempted to chamber was a failure to feed. Replaced the FMJ with Gold Dots and again no problems.

I have fired Lawman FMJ through this gun in the past with no problems. This was a new box of ammo and I am wondering if I got a bad batch.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    compared to the GD and the GS is the lawman bullet shaped different ( perhaps longer and flat sided, different ogive)?
    if it is the only brand of ammo the gun dislike, don't use it. it is good to know why something does not work, but sometimes just not using it is a legitimate answer.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You went shooting without me? Well, then call your issues Karma.

Odd that suddenly a previously "good" brand went south on you. Possibly the batch, but odd all the same. At least you know it's just an ammo specific problem, not a "gun" issue.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

While probably not the case in your situation, setbacks can also happen as mag springs weaken but recoil springs are still strong. In this case it sounds like it's ammo specific.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You went shooting without me? Well, then call your issues Karma.

Odd that suddenly a previously "good" brand went south on you. Possibly the batch, but odd all the same. At least you know it's just an ammo specific problem, not a "gun" issue.
    Hey I'm retiring your the one still working and on a schedule. Let me know when you have time my schedule is pretty fluid and pretty open after May 31. Karma my posterior.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    While probably not the case in your situation, setbacks can also happen as mag springs weaken but recoil springs are still strong. In this case it sounds like it's ammo specific.
    The Diamondback has a dual recoil spring setup and is a bear to rack the slide being so small. It absorbes recoil extremely well and this may have been a factor with this particular lot of ammo. Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like an ammo issue to me. But to be on the safe side, next time take OldVet along.
    Old School likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Bad factory batches can happen

I recently bought 2 boxes of Remington 158 gr LHP .38 +P that had zero crimp. I ran them through my crimp die. You may want to check that angle.

Links