.357 SIG vs .357 Mag vs .40 S&W

This is a discussion on .357 SIG vs .357 Mag vs .40 S&W within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've just been doing some research on the .357 SIG round as I'm hoping to pick up my Glock 33 today. Never shot .357 SIG ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .357 SIG vs .357 Mag vs .40 S&W

I've just been doing some research on the .357 SIG round as I'm hoping to pick up my Glock 33 today. Never shot .357 SIG before and just trying to learn what I can about it. I have a G22 in .40S&W and have shot a Ruger RedHawk in .357 Magnum. From what I've read, the .357 SIG round has some decent power for its size (fast 9mm). Sounds like they wanted to design a round for semi-autos that is similar to that of the .357 Magnum. Not that this matters a whole lot, just trying to figure out if the .357 SIG really has the same power as a .357 Mag.

I hear stories both ways, but which is really true? Say you have a .357 SIG and .357 Mag, same length barrels, both 125 grain bullets. Some people say the .357 Mag will have more power. According to the barrel pressure, the .357 Mag has a psi of 35,000 and the .357 SIG has a psi of 40,000. Wouldn't that make the .357 SIG more powerful than a 125 grain .357 Mag? Just wondering?

Also, from what I've read, the .357 SIG should have about the same recoil as my G22 in .40 but a little bit louder and a little snappier recoil. I sure can't wait to pick it up and go out to the range. I wanted sub compact Glock and I like to try things different and unique, that's why I went with the G33. The .357 SIG is a neat looking round. Prices are really not too bad around here. And on-line, they are not any more than .40.

If any of you have something in .357 SIG, please tell me what you think about it? Pics are great too.

Most .40 S&W pistols can be converted to .357 SIG by replacing the barrel, but sometimes the recoil spring must be changed as well. Pistols with especially strong recoil springs can accept either cartridge with a barrel change. Magazines will freely interchange between the two cartridges in most pistols. .357 SIG barrel kits have allowed this cartridge to gain in popularity among handgun owners. However, the .357 SIG is loaded to higher pressures than the .40 S&W (the C.I.P. and the SAAMI pressure limits for .40 S&W are 225 MPa and 35,000 psi), and may not be suitable for use in all .40 S&W-chambered pistols due to the increase in bolt thrust.
    Taken from: .357 SIG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally don't have one. Just wanted to share a little info that might help.
    Regards.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Why not just buy a 357 Sig barrel for your Glock 22? That would give you an inexpensive way to try the cartridge out, and see if you really like it.

The .357 Sig really does not make much sense in a short barrelled gun like the Glock 33. You will cripple the velocity performance of the round, and end up with significant muzzle blast.

From what I have read, for a short barrel gun, the .357 really performs. Read that the Glock 33 had the most power out of all the sub compact Glocks. Yeah, I could get a .357 sig barrel for my 22 but that defeats the purpose of a sub compact. My G22 is too big for pocket carry in the summer.

At least 1350 fps for the G33 from what I've read. It has to at least be better than the G26. This sure won't be my last Glock, I plan on starting a collection.

For practical SD applications using 125 weight bullets, you are really splitting hairs between the Sig and Magnum. You are using light weight and hi velocity to do the job, which they will both accomplish equally well. The advantage the sig has here is the common advantages of a semi auto over the revolver.

Up the bullet weight to 158 or 180, and the 357 Mag begins to out class the sig due to case capacity.

The 40 is a compromise of velocity and weight while giving a little more in bore size.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Not alot to add here

I'll let you decide on what is effective to carry. I'd think you just need to think which model Glock you would carry and what loads in each, and then just decide from there.

But, I'll comment on the 357sig vs 40cal. I borrowed my bosses 357sig upper to put on my xd 6 or 7 years ago. I shot an IDPA match in 40cal, and immediately shot the stages with .357 sig. I could not tell any difference. Note that in a match I'm thinking about a lot of other stuff, and I'm pretty recoil insensitive (I've done the same thing between 9mm and 40cal and 45. I can tell between .45 and the others, but not between 9 and 40cal (when I'm competing).

The other thing, not many folks run 357sig in IDPA, likely because of costs. But the ones who do have a noticeable muzzle blast (I serve as safety officer so I'm close to the shooters). On our indoor range with low light the muzzle flash is quite noticeable. I guess that could have a little tactical implication you need to think about.

Of course, the old adage about shot placement being 100x more important that caliber selection is true here.

For the academic exercise you suggest, the work has mostly been done. Check out "Ballistics By the Inch" at BBTI - real world weapons

Experiments with a solid barrel chopped down to shorter lengths for a wide range of handgun calibers, but also with data for some of the tested rounds shot through "real" guns. For revolvers, that's important due to the venting at the cylinder gap vs. a solid barrel.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The following link has tons of info on the 357sig. BTW...I buy ammo t the gun shows and it's about the same as 40cal. and there's plenty of it.

HandGunInfo.com: SIG357: Pete's 357 SIG Caliber Page
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I Everyday Carry the S&WM&P357Sig with Crimson Trace Laser Grip loaded with 125 grain Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points. It is the perfect fit for me. Sometimes I change out my barrel to the 40S&W and it works without any problems at all. I like the 357Sig & 40S&W for self Defense. With the correct shot placement with either caliber and it will stop an attack pronto.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Personally, I wouldn't want to get in front of any of them to see if one has any more "stopping power" than the others.

I've fired the .357 SIG (in a Sig, no less) and really didn't notice much more noise or kick than the .40, and only slightly more snap than my G30 .45s. Of course, the all-metal Sig isn't the same as a lightweight Glock or such, and it may be more noticeable in lightweight guns.

My "understanding" is that the .357 SIG has a bit more penetration of barriers than most other semi-auto rounds, but that doesn't always equate to stopping power.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    The following link has tons of info on the 357sig. BTW...I buy ammo t the gun shows and it's about the same as 40cal. and there's plenty of it.

HandGunInfo.com: SIG357: Pete's 357 SIG Caliber Page

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some people will boo-hoo the .357 sig, but there are too many people in the know, Mas Ayoob for one, who will tell you that it is one of the most ballistically impressive handgun rounds out there.
    Compared to the 357 mag, it, I believe is a small bit behind, in some aspects, but not much, and it more than makes up for that with the additional round count.

IMHO, I believe, from the information I have read, is a better SD round than the .40.

Will they both put a thug down when shot placement being equal? YES

Will your shot placement Always be right where you want it to be, in a fast paced SD situation??
    The cost for .357 sig and .40 cal at Gander Mt. 2 wks. ago was the same, and a couple brands were even less than the exact .40 cal.
    Me Myself and Irene, I would go for .357 sig every time.

I personally have 3 9mm pistols for economy/simplicity etc, etc.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I have to agree, shot placement is the most important factor, not bullet size. There is no perfect bullet, especially in SD handguns. Yeah, a .500 S&W is pretty damn powerful but not practical for SD. I like to try new things. I love my G22. I really like the .40 S&W and I'm a fairly good shot with it. I've had that gun for over 10 years so I'm pretty used to it. I have been using a Comp Tac C-Tac holster since I have a light on the G22. I works good IWB with jeans, undershirt and untucked shirt over it. But now that its getting warm out, I wanted something small yet powerful that I can put in my pocket. I really didn't want a 9mm in a sub compact, I already have a .40 and didn't want a .45. I've shot .357 mag but never shot or had even seen .357 sig in person. With the bottle neck design, it makes it look cool too. Seems like its basically a 9mm all jacked up on gun powder. Ammo on line doesn't seem too expensive, just bought two 50 round boxes for $18 each, cheaper that what I pay for .40 around here.

I had recently bought some Corbon 135 grain JHP for my .40 @$34 a box. Just picked up some Speer Gold Dot 125 grain JHP .357 SIG here in town for $24, can't complain. I also had bought a Don Hume in the pocket holster and two mag extensions which should be here tomorrow. This little G33 fits in my pocket perfectly which is what I wanted. Sure can't wait to take it to the range. I love Glocks, I need more, hehehe. I still need something in 9mm, .45 and 10mm. Glocks are amazing. I've had my G22 for over 10 years and it has NEVER failed me. It still looks new as well and now it has a little brother to keep it company :)

One other reason I like the 357Sig cartridge is the reliability factor. I'm sure some will argue this point.

"You get more feeding reliability *insurance* using a bottlenecked cartridge. As long as the magazine is feeding the 357 SIG cartridge correctly, then ramming a 9mm bullet into a larger 10mm chamber opening is a definite advantage that straight walled cases do not have."
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Power? If you want "power," it's time to start carrying a .454 Casuall or .500 S&W or a rifle or shotgun...

The differences between .357 SIG, .357 Magnum and .40 S&W are nil. The main factors you need to be worrying about are adequate penetration and consistent and uniform expansion to maximize wound cavity. Handguns are considered "sidearms" for a reason; they are secondary weapons to rifles.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links