anyone use Remington Express .380 JHP?

This is a discussion on anyone use Remington Express .380 JHP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; According to these tests, your Golden Saber rounds are really just expensive FMJ rounds, as they do not seem to expand when fired out of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: anyone use Remington Express .380 JHP?

According to these tests, your Golden Saber rounds are really just expensive FMJ rounds, as they do not seem to expand when fired out of the P3at/LCP - length barrel:

GoldenLoki.com

Just stick to FMJ, IMHO. Or, if you have difficulty giving up the supposed advantages of a JHP, you can always dutch load one JHP, one FMJ, and so on.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Good find! Any heavier rounds than 95gr in FMJ?

That chart was an eye opener. Looks like the cheaper, easier to get rounds may actually be the best way to go. Which is good, because I need to go through a lot more of them to feel as competent as I'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Good find! Any heavier rounds than 95gr in FMJ?
    The only one of which I am aware is the 100 gr hard cast Buffalo Bore variety. Unfortunately, BB ammo is very expensive and not all 380 pocket pistols feed it properly.

I carry the WWB 95 gr FMJ truncated cone rounds. I don't think a few extra grains of weight is going to matter much. They feed well, and I've never had any issues with them igniting. They are a little dirty, but who cares? Some claim the flat points will drive straighter, and have less of a chance of deflecting off bone. Not sure if that is true, but I use them anyway. Some also claim the flat points do a bit more damage to tissue than round nose bullets. Again, not sure if true or not - but a JHP essentially turns into a flat point when it expands, so maybe there is a little bit of an advantage.

I'm still not convinced there is a huge difference between different types of handgun bullets. Buckshot is widely regarded as the best man-stopper available to civilians, and it is nothing more than a bunch of smooth, round lead balls (which each only weigh about 60 gr) - so go figure.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Just because the Golden Saber doesn't perform better than target round, it probably has better quality control.

Take the round with the best quality.

Dunno. Maybe.

All I DO know is that I've fired literally thousands upon thousands of rounds of WWB over the years, and have had zero ammo-related failures. Seems to be of good quality to me.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Just because the Golden Saber doesn't perform better than target round, it probably has better quality control.

Take the round with the best quality.
    That's a good point. Don't Golden Sabres use some kind of "low flash" powder for (supposedly) less flash-induced night blindness? I've never really done a lot of shooting at night, but that's what they say. I do notice comparatively huge amounts of fire when I use certain brands of ammo at the range though.

Great .380 ammo....

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I carry Golden Sabers in my P3AT. I would carry FMJ's, but you give up expansion. I would carry a typical JHP, but you give up penetration. With the Golden Saber, while penetration won't be as good as the FMJ, of course, they're the heaviest .380 round I'm seen, providing a bit more penetration then lighter JHP's, yet you still get the expansion.

For me it's Golden Saber's, FMJ, or nothing. Of course, My P3AT is not my primary carry gun. I'm not very fond of .380 for defense, but I can't carry my Glock 30 EVERYwhere. So a .380 is better than nothing.

I like the carry DPX round in .45ACP, despite the fact I usually like heavy for caliber. If they made a 230gr DPX, I'd use that over the 185gr. But the DPX performs so well, it's hard to argue with it.

I wonder how DPX rounds in .380 perform.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpKhBwD8_s#

I am new to this forum. But just out of curiosity, does anyone search to see if there is already a tread on this topic?
    Seems like it would avoid a lot of plowing the same field over again and build on the discussions already in progress.

Interesting .380 ballistics test

Here is a link to a test of the ammo you asked about. If you look around on his site you will find some other tests he has done. Those tests along with others posted around here should give you some ideas of what to expect from the 380.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Terminal Ballistics testing Remington UMC 380 Auto 88 Grain JHP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links