anyone use Remington Express .380 JHP?

This is a discussion on anyone use Remington Express .380 JHP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a box of this ammo on sale (more or less on a whim), then got it home and noticed it's a scant 88 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: anyone use Remington Express .380 JHP?

anyone use Remington Express .380 JHP?

I bought a box of this ammo on sale (more or less on a whim), then got it home and noticed it's a scant 88 grains. The flat nosed WWB I had been carrying in it is still pretty light at 95 grains. I've searched around and can't find much on the JHP Express, not on any of the forums or YouTube. Anyone use it, or can you point me to anything about it? I'm torn on what to carry in this little .380, but I guess I'm in the "even if it doesn't expand what do you lose?" camp in the small caliber JHP v. FMJ debate. I think the Golden Sabre weighs in at 102, but I can't find comparative velocities. Even if it doesn't make much real-world difference I'm curious. Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

i have a few boxes of golden sabers in 380cal that i was planning on using as carry ammo. after reading abt penetration with the 380 on different forums, i decided to stick with FMJ for carry ammo for the 380. but for JHP i'll go with the golden saber. i did test the golden saber in my LCP and it fed without a problem.

btw, try to visit the elsiepea forum. there's a caliber corner with lots of info on 380 ammos. maybe you can get some answeres there.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I'm shooting a P3AT, but they're practically the same gun.

Well, here's an update. I just got back from the range and the 88gr JHP Rem Express feed very well indeed in my P3AT. It also seemed to have quite a bit more zip to it than the flat nose WWB I had. Feeling pretty good about it after sending a bunch downrange. Might not be so great at night though; good size ball of fire compared to the other ammo I've sent through it.

Jesus...

It's a .380ACP.

You aren't getting very much, so don't expect much. Stick it in someone's eye and pull the trigger till they notice.
    Lewis128 likes this.

I always preferred FMJ in .380.

MitchellCT,

I thought it might be possible that someone else on this forum might be interested. You evidently were not, but felt the need to post something dismissive. I think your preamble conveys your tone pretty well. You don't have to care about anything that I or anyone else posts, but if it doesn't interest you maybe you could just let it be?
    Buckj, LouisianaMan and Oreste like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    You don't have to care about anything that I or anyone else posts, but if it doesn't interest you maybe you could just let it be?
    Your request has been submitted for debate by the council...

Answer is...No.

And to the meat of the issue, my answer was dead on point. You aren't getting much with a .380ACP for self defense, so comparing different loads is rather pointless.

Place your shot, and place a lot of them, and they will work. Looking for a difference between .380ACP ammo is like looking for the difference between sheep poop or goat poop.

The differences are rather insignificant, as they both stink.

Placement of fire & volume of fire - That's the thing that matters once you have reliability and accuracy. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I'm shooting a P3AT, but they're practically the same gun.
    Speaking as an LCP owner...
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Your request has been submitted for debate by the council...

Answer is...No.

And to the meat of the issue, my answer was dead on point. You aren't getting much with a .380ACP for self defense, so comparing different loads is rather pointless.
    This is a sub forum dedicated to defensive ammunition and ballistics. Is the whole forum pointless, or just when it comes to calibers you personally dismiss?

I don't dismiss them. I accept them for what they are - limited. Within that scope, they are very effective provided too much is not expected of them.

There are those who think there is a great difference in effectiveness between one handgun caliber and another; or between one kind of ammunition design and another.

From all I've seen and read, including from medical professionals who see lots of handgun wounds, I'm of the opinion that there isn't too much difference.

Reliability is first; shot placement is second; penetration is third; and expansion (if any at all) is a distant last place. More shots, as quickly as possible, is always better - no matter the caliber or bullet type.

I've yet to see a JHP in .380 that will get to the FBI desired penetration depth of 15 inches in gel. Most do not even meet the minimum of 12 inches. Which is why I use FMJ in my .380 LCPs.

Is my 9mm PM9 "better" than my .380 LCP? Sure. But probably by not as much as most would suppose. I feel comfortable with either. And after running my little LCP through a low light class, I think I could do very well with it.
    Buckj likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

RKM
    I carry Golden Sabers in my P3AT. I would carry FMJ's, but you give up expansion. I would carry a typical JHP, but you give up penetration. With the Golden Saber, while penetration won't be as good as the FMJ, of course, they're the heaviest .380 round I'm seen, providing a bit more penetration then lighter JHP's, yet you still get the expansion.

For me it's Golden Saber's, FMJ, or nothing. Of course, My P3AT is not my primary carry gun. I'm not very fond of .380 for defense, but I can't carry my Glock 30 EVERYwhere. So a .380 is better than nothing.

I like the carry DPX round in .45ACP, despite the fact I usually like heavy for caliber. If they made a 230gr DPX, I'd use that over the 185gr. But the DPX performs so well, it's hard to argue with it.

I wonder how DPX rounds in .380 perform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links