VIDEO: Federal .40 S&W 180gr HST Fails, but Speer 357 SIG 125 gr GoldDot Successful!

This is a discussion on VIDEO: Federal .40 S&W 180gr HST Fails, but Speer 357 SIG 125 gr GoldDot Successful! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a penetration test using the thick tank of an old air compressor as the target, the tank is shot by these rounds: 30-06 FMJ ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: VIDEO: Federal .40 S&W 180gr HST Fails, but Speer 357 SIG 125 gr GoldDot Successful!

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ORYGUN
    Posts
    1,517

    VIDEO: Federal .40 S&W 180gr HST Fails, but Speer 357 SIG 125 gr GoldDot Successful!

    In a penetration test using the thick tank of an old air compressor as the target, the tank is shot by these rounds:

    30-06 FMJ -- Penetrates fine

    40 S&W 180 gr Federal HST, fails to penetrate!!

    357 Sig 125 gr Speer GoldDot Successful!! It blow a big hole in the side of the tank!

    Clearly, this shows the 180 gr .40 S&W Federal HST to be ineffective in defending against attacks from large air compressors.


    Just look at the video yourself, to see the stark difference in results:





    Just look at the size of that hole made by the 357 Sig!!

    It this perhaps a good reason to switch from the 40 S&W and instead shoot with the 357 SIG??

    .
    aus71383 likes this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array tbrenke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,006
    well, if the skin of the BG is as tough as steel then I can see the point. but sence they are flesh and blood, I'll stick with my 40. It is very reliable in that.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array AZ Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun, AZ
    Posts
    1,018
    Haha! I love videos like this.

    I especially love the first comment...
    wow some retard blasting the 357 sig and the 40 cal what a moron probably thinks the 9mm is better than both.....

    misterirish26 10 months ago
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

    “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,514
    I heard the compressor was turning it's life around before this happened.

  6. #5
    Member Array red13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post

    Clearly, this shows the 180 gr .40 S&W Federal HST to be ineffective in defending against attacks from large air compressors.

    .


    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...vol_1/rofl.gif
    jem102 likes this.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

  7. #6
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,173
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Clearly, this shows the 180 gr .40 S&W Federal HST to be ineffective in defending against attacks from large air compressors.
    I think that's the key takeaway from this demonstration!

    I'm reminded of all those who shoot into water to "test" their loads. A guy in the LFI course I took a while back was talking to Ayoob about how much the particular round he carried expanded when he shot into water. Ayoob's replay was "Great! If the ocean "messes" [rude expression deleted] with you, you're all set."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ORYGUN
    Posts
    1,517
    Still, you have to admit that the 357 Sig round was impressive. But would that much penetration really be a good thing? I have my doubts myself.

    Human beings are 57% water. If we were slug like creatures and had no bones, then water would be a very good analogy.

    .

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array AZ Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun, AZ
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Still, you have to admit that the 357 Sig round was impressive. But would that much penetration really be a good thing? I have my doubts myself.

    Human beings are 57% water. If we were slug like creatures and had no bones, then water would be a very good analogy.

    .
    Umm... How do you know they actually fired .357 SIG, .40 S&W and .30-06? They told us they did, but this is the interwebz. And then, how can you go off one unconfirmed example? And then, what does this example have to do with anything at all?

    Oh, and hollow points weren't made to penetrate steel!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

    “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

  10. #9
    Member Array greyeyezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Still, you have to admit that the 357 Sig round was impressive. But would that much penetration really be a good thing? I have my doubts myself.

    .
    Nothing failed. A 556 round will drill through steel but shatter in soft tissue. The 357sig is known to penetrate hard barriers better.
    AR15.COM :: Archives :: Steel Sheets o' Truth Table added P.6

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,339
    A .22 magnum would probably penetrate the tank, but I'm not about to trade my .40 in for one. Thanks to this video, the gan bangers will now be wearing air compressors around their neck....bling and armor all in one.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,323

    Water testing

    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Still, you have to admit that the 357 Sig round was impressive. But would that much penetration really be a good thing? I have my doubts myself.

    Human beings are 57% water. If we were slug like creatures and had no bones, then water would be a very good analogy.

    .
    Just a note, Saline (ACTUALLY SILLY-CONE) impants are just as good as a bulletproof vest. see article below:

    Doctor: Size-D Breast Implant Stopped Bullet, Saved Woman

    Thursday, February 25, 2010

    A California woman, who was wounded during a shooting rampage inside a dental office last summer, was saved by her size-D breast implants, according to her doctor.

    Lydia Carranza was shot in the chest when a gunman opened fire at the Family Dental Care Clinic in Simi Valley on July 1, 2009, KTLA.com reported. Dr. Ashkan Ghavami, a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, said he believes her implant stopped the bullet from hitting her heart.

    "I saw the CT scan," he told the Los Angeles Times. "The bullet fragments were millimeters from her heart and her vital organs. Had she not had the implant, she might not be alive today."

    Although the spokeswoman for the hospital that treated Carranza said it’s not clear whether the breast implant had any impact on saving her life, a firearms instructor said it is possible.

    "Common sense would dictate that any time you have something that interrupts the velocity of the projectile, it would benefit the object it was trying to strike," Scott Reitz, a deadly-force expert witness with 30 years' experience in the LAPD told the Times.

    "I don't want to say a boob job is the equivalent of a bulletproof vest," he added. "So don't go getting breast enhancements as a means to deflect a possible incoming bullet."

    As a result of the shooting, Carranza’s implant was completely destroyed. Ghavami now plans to perform reconstructive surgery at a reduced cost, according to the report.

    Click here to read more from KTLA.


    Read more: Doctor: Size-D Breast Implant Stopped Bullet, Saved Woman - Incredible Health - FOXNews.com
    Last edited by onacoma; May 28th, 2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: CORRECTIONS


    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

    If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

  13. #12
    Member Array HK Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Just a note, Saline (ACTUALLY SILLY-CONE) impants are just as good as a bulletproof vest. see article below:

    Doctor: Size-D Breast Implant Stopped Bullet, Saved Woman

    Thursday, February 25, 2010

    A California woman, who was wounded during a shooting rampage inside a dental office last summer, was saved by her size-D breast implants, according to her doctor.

    Lydia Carranza was shot in the chest when a gunman opened fire at the Family Dental Care Clinic in Simi Valley on July 1, 2009, KTLA.com reported. Dr. Ashkan Ghavami, a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, said he believes her implant stopped the bullet from hitting her heart.

    "I saw the CT scan," he told the Los Angeles Times. "The bullet fragments were millimeters from her heart and her vital organs. Had she not had the implant, she might not be alive today."

    Although the spokeswoman for the hospital that treated Carranza said it’s not clear whether the breast implant had any impact on saving her life, a firearms instructor said it is possible.

    "Common sense would dictate that any time you have something that interrupts the velocity of the projectile, it would benefit the object it was trying to strike," Scott Reitz, a deadly-force expert witness with 30 years' experience in the LAPD told the Times.

    "I don't want to say a boob job is the equivalent of a bulletproof vest," he added. "So don't go getting breast enhancements as a means to deflect a possible incoming bullet."

    As a result of the shooting, Carranza’s implant was completely destroyed. Ghavami now plans to perform reconstructive surgery at a reduced cost, according to the report.

    Click here to read more from KTLA.


    Read more: Doctor: Size-D Breast Implant Stopped Bullet, Saved Woman - Incredible Health - FOXNews.com
    Lol! Nice find!
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." - Col. Jeff Cooper

    [EDC: HK P2000 SK .40 S&W]

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array RebelRabbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Smithfield NC
    Posts
    574
    I live in an area where attacks by old compressor tanks is very common. They often join up with discarded water heaters to form Gangs. A friend of mine knew a guy who had a cousin who heard about a homeowner who suffered a home invasion by one of these metal tank Gangs in the area. When these iron headed thugs saw his .357 sig, they drained themselves right on the carpet and fled. Luckily no one was even hurt but the rust ruined the rugs.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    856
    I am about to buy a Glock 29SF 10mm, now actually I am going have to check the .357 sig a little more before I make the final decision.

  16. #15
    Member Array Aaron1100us's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    318
    Remember, it's about shot placement, not so much the caliber. .40 S&W and .357 SIG are both fine. Those are the two calibers I shoot.

    Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

180 hst
,

357 sig hst

,
357 sig penetration test
,
357 sig videos
,
federal .40 hst
,
federal 180gr hst
,

federal hst .40

,
federal hst 10mm
,
federal hst 180
,
federal hst 357
,

federal hst 357 sig

,
hst 357 sig
Click on a term to search for related topics.