EMP owners, what SD ammo do you use?

This is a discussion on EMP owners, what SD ammo do you use? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've now tried 4 different SD loads through my new EMP and have had interesting results. Federal HST 124gr: 2-3 failures to feed per magazine ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By theheater905

Thread: EMP owners, what SD ammo do you use?

EMP owners, what SD ammo do you use?

I've now tried 4 different SD loads through my new EMP and have had interesting results.
    • Federal HST 124gr: 2-3 failures to feed per magazine
    • Hornady Custom 124gr XTP: interestingly when the mags were loaded to capacity (9), the top cartridge kept swiveling upwards and pointing at the ceiling upon insertion so I had to pull the mag out. After removing the top cartridge, the mag inserted fine but I still had 1-2 failures to feed and minimally the slide failed to fully go back into battery without a tap periodically.
    • Gold Dot 124gr: 1-2 failures to feed per magazine
    • Golden Saber 124gr: zero issues

I had hoped the HST or Gold Dot would function flawlessly as they are my preferred loads for carry. My M&P9c and SR9c both fire all HP loads I've tried with no issue. Regardless I know I can use the Golden Sabers when I carry the EMP and just wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences to mine.

Just for reference, I've got about 500 rounds through the EMP now, probably 75% of which was FMJ, all of which fed with zero issues.

2. Remove Ads

Mine has fed the Federal Hydro Shock without issues (not the HST). I also have run 124 +p gold dots without issues. I was having issues with the ejector hanging up the top round of the magazine and causing the pistol to not go into battery.

Maybe it could be an issue with the magazines or something else that is making it not like hollowpoints.

Have you given the 147gr HST a go? Ranger-T 124gr or 147gr?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    I was having issues with the ejector hanging up the top round of the magazine and causing the pistol to not go into battery.

Maybe it could be an issue with the magazines or something else that is making it not like hollowpoints.
    I did try all 3 magazines that came with the pistol as I used various loads and experienced the feed problems with all, but it certainly still a possibility. I like the suggestion around the extractor, I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Have you given the 147gr HST a go? Ranger-T 124gr or 147gr?
    So far I've only tried the ones I listed. I have some Gold Dot 147gr but neglected to take it to the range today. I'll have to order some others and see, some 147gr and maybe some PDX or Hydra Shok. I almost ordered the Ranger T recently when AmmunitionToGo had some stock but knowing how hard it can be to find I decided to stick with more easily obtained loads. I certainly won't complain if only the Golden Sabers work, I just know they aren't as advanced as some others now available.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Sounds like you need to change brands of guns, like maybe to a Glock! I attended a Gun Fighting Class with 12 other folks back in March and one fella had a well known 45ACP that jammed and would not feed at all, he also had another officers model of the same high $$$$ brand that would not shoot without jamming. Our class had 9 Glocks that all shot every boolit with no issue. After class he said he was going to buy Glocks to replace his $$$ guns that would not shoot reliably. Me if it won't function 100% all the time I will get rid of it. My life demands 100% function all the time and my Glocks Rock!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I have to agree with the sentiment from Blue Thunder. I have a Kimber Ultra carry II and an EMP as well as two glocks. I consider the 1911's are like fine race horses....beautiful but built for one thing only. They invariably do not feed all the time. The Glocks on the otherhand eat everything and spit it out downrange perfectly. When in doubt, shoot the Glock!

Mine hangs up about every 3-4 shots if I shoot 147 gr HP anything. So, I just don't shoot them.

I use Hornandy CD for SD, or the Hdyrashok in 124 gr.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well, I can say with certainty that I would not carry that gun. Would be a nice range toy, though!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I had problems with mine too. It would not feed HSTor Gold Dots in any weight, I also had problems feeding 147gr FMJ Speer Lawman. I sent it back to Springfield, shipped and returned in 7 days. The gun has been flawless and feeds everything with no problems. Some of the EMP's seem to be 100% reliable out of the box and others seem to need some work. Its a shame, for a gun that cost $1000 + you would think they would all be flawless, the good part is Springfield is fantastic to deal with, outstanding CS.
    fmcgraw likes this.

Update: Tried several additional loads, all of which had issues. Gold Dot 147gr was the best with only a couple FTFs in several magazines, followed by Ranger 147gr SXT. Winchester 147gr PDX1 was okay and the Black Hills 124gr was horrible (feeding that is, not a comment on the ammo). It failed to feed on 7 of 9 rounds. I called Springfield Customer Service and was highly impressed. They immediately issued an RMA and pre-paid overnight FedEx label and will look at what they can do to improve the feed issues. I've definitely decided to carry my SR9c at this point as it takes any ammo, including +P, but when the EMP comes back we'll see if it's any better.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

Quote Originally Posted by fmcgraw View Post
    Update: Tried several additional loads, all of which had issues. Gold Dot 147gr was the best with only a couple FTFs in several magazines, followed by Ranger 147gr SXT. Winchester 147gr PDX1 was okay and the Black Hills 124gr was horrible (feeding that is, not a comment on the ammo). It failed to feed on 7 of 9 rounds. I called Springfield Customer Service and was highly impressed. They immediately issued an RMA and pre-paid overnight FedEx label and will look at what they can do to improve the feed issues. I've definitely decided to carry my SR9c at this point as it takes any ammo, including +P, but when the EMP comes back we'll see if it's any better.
    Wow, that's pretty rough! I hope it works out for ya!
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." - Col. Jeff Cooper

[EDC: HK P2000 SK .40 S&W]

My EMP 40 will feed anything except my reloaded LSWC's. Gold Dots, XTP's, CD's, Berry plated, you name it and it feeds flawlessly. Have about 700 rds through mine and it is my EDC.

Links