.380 SD and Range Ammo Suggestions

This is a discussion on .380 SD and Range Ammo Suggestions within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First .380 that I own. (picking up on 6/6) Suggestions on ammo would be great.... TIA...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .380 SD and Range Ammo Suggestions

First .380 that I own. (picking up on 6/6)

Suggestions on ammo would be great....

TIA

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

JD
    Administrator
    I tend to favor Remington UMC for range ammo in all calibers. As for SD, whatever feeds will be OK. FMJ and JHP are about equal in performance in .380, you're not getting much in either type. I have some 100 gr. Black Hills that needs to be tested, but I've had good feed/function from Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Sabers, etc.

This topic should be a sticky!

FBI calls for 12 inches penetration in gel, with 15 preferred. I've never seen a .380 expanded JHP that did more than 13 or so. FMJ gets 16-17.

I would stay away from so-called "+P" ammo in .380, as there is no SAAMI standard for it.

I use FMJ in .380, since expansion means little if the bullet fails to reach deeply enough to get to something vital. The WWB 95 gr FMJ ammo is a flat point, which some claim penetrates straighter and has better wounding potential than a round nose.

Some testing - see GoldenLoki.com

Hope this helps.
    sgb likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Almost everybody I work with carries a .380 loaded with Gold Saber. It functions reliably in just about everything.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I carry Cor-Bon 95 gr in my LCP.

I practice with whatever Walmart has on hand when I need it.
    Proud NRA member

I like the golden sabre's as well but they had a lot of muzzle flash to me - i ended up going with good ole speer GD's - seems to be a pretty good all round performer. I could not justify the cost of Cor-Bon's after trying them. i always thought expansion delivered a little more energy - but that may not be as important as penetration - i try to find ammo that does a bit of both in case i'm wrong
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

RKM
    I carry Golden Saber's, but just picked up some Hornady FTX "Critical Defense" to try out. I like the Golden Saber's because they're heavy and have good penetration. But the FTX's will have good expansion, every time. Maybe I'll stagger them and carry both? Heh....

I try to keep from making a big deal about .380 carry ammo, because to me, it's a back-up gun. Occasional a primary carry. But .380 is underpowered. It doesn't matter what you use, so try not to get to hung up on it. Any major brand JHP will probably work just fine. Some guys like FMJ for penetration.

I've been seeing a lot of bad results with PDX1 and Ranger-T ammo lately when shot through denim. I usually carry DPX in .45 but ended up shooting it all at the range. Now I have my .45 loaded with left over Ranger-T from awhile ago (waiting to buy a new bx of DPX). Ranger-T which works GREAT on bare gel. But most type of clothing will clog it, rendering it an FMJ, bascially. I know we're talking .380 here, but my point is, avoid PDX1 or Ranger-T... you might as well carry FMJ.

DPX in .380 however, despite it's "deep penetrating bullet" doesn't have very good penetration. 6-7" I think. It's too light. Hornady FTX penetrates 10" from what I've seen. Not the FBI 12", but it's .380 for god's sake. We can't get caught up with .380 ballistics. It's underpowered, and I excepted this before I bought one! Now... my .45ACP ammo MUST perform, and .45ACP DPX rounds are great rounds with great expansion and penetration.

I have two .380's. Nice little guns to tuck in your hip pocket. I shoot Winchester FMJ at the range and carry Speer Gold Dots for defense. Both feed reliably, shoot accurately, and don't leave a filthy mess in the gun to clean up afterwards.

Thanks for the info guys....I have a lil time to digest the info...

Thanks again

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

some people say that Buffalo Bore standard pressure FMJ-FN are one of the best for SD if you want to carry fmj. problem is i cant find any here in my country

The 100 gr +P from Buffalo Bore would probably be best for SD, if your gun can handle and feed it and your wallet can also handle it. Oh, and provided you can make follow up shots.

Otherwise just stick to a FMJ that works. I carry Blazer CCI alumnium FMJ in mine (same ammo for range duty). No joke.

Speer Gold Dot in my Diamondback for SD. Speer Lawman FMJ for range.

OP what .380 do you have?
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

sgb
    If you have to carry a .380 carry it with FMJ ball. The JHP loads don't reliably penetrate deeply enough to insure you reach the vitals.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I bought several boxes of different Buffalo Bore to try in my Sig P238. I found Gold Dots are the one JHP that do not feed all that well in my gun. Golden Sabres are probably my favorite JHP but in a .380 I like the idea of loading the magazine with 1-2 heavy JHP maybe 102 gr and then a hot FMJ. Maybe if the the Buffalo Bore works out 4-5 100 gr + P Hardcast. Still experimenting.

Just to clarify my earlier Post # 12 my Diamondback is a BUG. I carry a Glock 23 .40 S&W as a primary most of the time and a Glock 36 .45 ACP the rest of the time. My personal feelings are that the .380 is not enough cartridge for a primary weapon loaded with HP or FMJ.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links