Best .22LR ammo for self defense - Page 2

Best .22LR ammo for self defense

This is a discussion on Best .22LR ammo for self defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While the .22 is LETHAL, it is not a true FIGHT STOPPER. Most people will scream and fall down when shot. Most people. However, A ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Best .22LR ammo for self defense

While the .22 is LETHAL, it is not a true FIGHT STOPPER. Most people will scream and fall down when shot. Most people. However, A determined attacker will continue to function and fight until he is stopped by force. If a 12 ga. would fit in my pocket, that's what I would carry. Of course, it won't so the smallest thing I carry is a J-Frame with Heavy 38 +P's.
    IF all I had was a 22 I would use it. I agree with the idea of solids/penetration and I prefer the Remington Vipers due to the flat cone shape. Stingers will probably not expand from a handgun bbl. and may underpenetrate a BG from a rifle.

Whatever your .22 can feed reliably 99.99% of the time.
    Try CCI Blazers, those work 100% in my rifle and my revolver when I had it. I don't think I would trust a .22 automatic.
    My vote is for the 40 grain LRN.

I have 22's among just about every other semi auto handgun caliber,If I'm carrying a 22 I would not only want the fastest FMJ I could get,but the largest capacity mag also,I just made a holster for a doctor friend for a beretta 22,6+1 to wear inside his scrubs,I would rather he get a P3at,but at least he is carrying something when he can't carry his Kimber 45
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Keep in mine with a .22 he can practice more.
    Under $20 can get you 500 rounds of .22 (I've gotten 1000 for $14 from Dick's before), around the same gets you 50 rounds of .380 acp

Go for the chest area,the head is a smaller target and moves too much.The fastest .22 is the super max aguila at 1750 fps.That is stepping right along.I use them in my taurus 94.If thats all I had to use for defense I would sure use it.A face or chest full of them will make anyone have a bad day. I would shoot until they either went down or I ran out of ammo. sj

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Currently, I only have 1 pistol that uses .22LR, that is the Walther P22.
    I have a Walther P22, and I'll tell you - the ONLY ammo it will reliably feed is CCI Mini-mags. Anything else and I'm practicing malfunction drills every other shot.

On those occasions when I have to carry my 22, that is what I carry - P22 with a full mag +1 and a full mag to spare. 21 rounds ought to change someone's mind long enough for me to make some distance.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Hyper-Velocity "Stinger" Hollow point. This is what I have in my Marlin model 60. Good stuff as far as I'm concerned.

I for one think a .22 LR is better than nothing for self defense. Put a couple in the right spot and it'll even the odds real quick. I think the key words would be " A couple and in the right spot "

My thinking as well..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    My thinking as well..
    Unfortunately, the Stinger is not compatible with all .22 handguns, including the Walther P22, which is what I have. There are a lot of boneheads out on the internet saying they use it, but Walther and CCI both have warnings posted not to use it. The rounds are too long and do not fit all the way in the barrel. They are known to explode out the side of the casing as a result. CCI Velocitors or Mini Mags are probably the next best bet.

My Walther P22 likes CCI stingers better than any onther round so far, no problems. Probably 400 rounds of Stingers this year.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Stinger

The one I would carry is CCI's Stinger.

Click to the end of the video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TWhULZ27Mk

Hyper-Velocity "Stinger" Hollow point. This is what I have in my Marlin model 60. Good stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Any 22 ammo will work, especially if you have the 22 mounted under a 12 gauge.

I have a Walther P22. Nice weapon but I do get the occasional FTF with it. Not sure if it is the mag springs or what....
    I won't carry it for SD so it doesn't really matter why it occasionally FTFs. Once I got used to it I could shoot the nads off a gnat with it.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I just bought an ISSC M22 as a plinker and for the neighbor across the street to borrow for for his Boy Scout troop. I use the same ammo you have as the ISSC seems to be very picky indeed. I have ran about 500 rounds through it so far and had about 50 fail to fire, fail to eject and fail to feed issues while using anything but the minimag 40 grain solid. When I switched to the minimag I had 3 feed issues but that was after 300 rounds and not cleaning it. I said all that to say this..try what the maker reccomends then try hot heavier loads if you feel the need.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Not sure of it's self defense capabilities but.... Cci velocitor works very well for game and is very accurate. When I had a 22 NAA I carried mini mags in that. O stopped carrying it when I got my snubby 357

Are you going to carry the .22 chambered?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Currently, I only have 1 pistol that uses .22LR, that is the Walther P22. I have been looking at some other pocket pistols and even one of those assault rifles that use the .22LR round, such as the Ruger SR-22.

What would be the point of carrying a pistol the size of the Walther P22, but only chambered in .22 LR? Besides, the P22 is one of the most cheaply made pistols on the market: no where even remotely close to being as well made as your Glock. Why trust your life to such a cheap gun? There are lots of far more powerful options on the market that are the size of the P22, and many significantly smaller. Even a Walther PPS in 9mm or .40 S&W is smaller than a P22. While both guns have the same length, the PPS is both thinner and not quite as tall.

And there are a number of 9mm pistols significantly smaller than the PPS ( Kahr PM9, CM9, Ruger LC9, Sig P290 ), not to mention all of the many even far smaller pistols in .380

The Walther P22 makes absolutely no sense at all for use as a concealed carry handgun. It is way too big to make any sense to carry.

I guess whenever I think about using my gun to kill somebody, the first scenario that pops into my mind is a situation like the Luby's incident we had many years ago here in Texas, as well as several other incidents such as Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc. There is a crazy person out to kill random people. If I'm behind that person and decide to take them out, I've always figured I'd aim for the head. The reason being is that I want them to go down on the first shot. Otherwise I stand a chance of them turning around and shooting back at me. After all, people in that situation are usually in a state of mind that they plan on dying at some point during the rampage, so they will want to take as many people as they can. They will certainly fire back at me if given the chance.

I realize this scenario is probably one of the less likely scenarios for me to ever be in, but for some reason it is always the first to come to mind.
    The skull is a very hard thick bone, and it is rounded. Unless the angle is just right there is every liklihood that a .22lr will ricochet off the skull rather than penetrate. Aim for the chest and let the bullet ricochet around inside the body.
    mano3 and grouse like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links