Best .22LR ammo for self defense - Page 5

Best .22LR ammo for self defense

This is a discussion on Best .22LR ammo for self defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by onacoma Here you go right from the Ruger's Man-U-Well" NOTE: The following warning applies to RUGER® 10/22® Target and Tactical rifles only: ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Best .22LR ammo for self defense

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Here you go right from the Ruger's Man-U-Well" NOTE: The following warning applies to RUGER® 10/22® Target and Tactical rifles only: “Stinger” cartridges have a longer case than 22 LR cartridges loaded to U.S. Industry specifications. They can stick in the tighter chambers of target rifles,
    including the Ruger 10/22 Target and Tactical rifles, which can result in a hazardous ruptured case and release of hot powder gasses and brass when fired.
    DO NOT USE “STINGER” AMMUNITION IN 10/22 TARGET or TACTICAL RIFLES We can only assume everyone reads their manual?
    Dat'z what I said Moe...you can shootz stingers booo lits ONLY IN THE CAR BEAN 10/22

The topic

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I can get similar muzzle velocities from 158 gr .38, 147 gr 9mm, and 180 gr .40

I like what Taurahe said, "A good hi velocity HP". How about a 60gr .22 at 3,100fps? That's my entry level SD rifle (5.56 NATO).
    The OP thread is regarding .22 LR options, not comparing other calibers to .22 LR.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I don't know that "type" of .22 makes a difference, but I'm all for .22 LR solids and letting them bounce around inside the skull.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The best .22 for defense is a 22-250.

I know
    OLD THREAD
    EVERYONE has an opinion but thinking of daughter protection beyond TKD and the only gun that doesn't make her flinch when shooting = snubby .22 semiauto Browning.
    Mostly it's cold where she lives = layers of coats/etc. to penetrate ergo thinking these ammos w/chrono results borrowed
    CCI Mini-Mag 40-gr PRN (CPRN?)
    M 879.9/ES 16.60/SD 7.07

Distinguished Member Array Dave909's Avatar
    Holy necro Batman! Instead of her relying on a round that is basically only good for headshots and targets the size of a squirrel, tell her to try out a compact 9mm. If she's willing to carry it, something along the lines of a CZ compact will be a dream to shoot. If for some reason 9mm is too much (and honestly it's merely time behind the trigger that's keeping her at .22) look into a small .380. It's true that any gun is better than no gun, but it's only true if it's a quality gun and a capable round for the purpose.
    ETXhiker likes this.

My thoughts on 22LR for self defense are not what you want to hear. I would not recommend the round for the people I care about. Sorry.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    NRA Patriot Life Member

Ah The best .22 ammunition to use for self defense, in my opinion, would be ah .223 orrr22-250! Well you didn't say .22 rimfire! oh well I couldn't resist. Although not the best .22 lr might not be the best self defense caliber I'd take it hands down over .25 auto. And it's certainly better than a sharp stick, a rock or a slingshot. Although David did slay Goliath with the rock and a sling!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

I'm pretty sure that of all 22LR the CCI Velocitor carries the most energy. Not a great choice but not the worst.

Seems I read somewhere that some of the tunnel rats in Vietnam favored 22 semi-auto pistols over the 1911.

I think Charter Arms makes a 12 or 13oz snubbie. If it was my daughter I would get her that, or a similar LW snubbie. Then I would load up some very light target loads for her to practice with. Then I would have her carry it with a standard 38 round.

Quote Originally Posted by Islands7 View Post
    I know
    OLD THREAD
    EVERYONE has an opinion but thinking of daughter protection beyond TKD and the only gun that doesn't make her flinch when shooting = snubby .22 semiauto Browning.
    Mostly it's cold where she lives = layers of coats/etc. to penetrate ergo thinking these ammos w/chrono results borrowed
    CCI Mini-Mag 40-gr PRN (CPRN?)
    M 879.9/ES 16.60/SD 7.07
    Islands, I've been there, someone in my life carries a 22LR revolver. So I won't go through the exercise of telling you to convince her to go to a larger caliber. I'm sure you've done that. As time goes on confidence in skills will likely lead to that as a matter of course. Give thanks that they are on the way there. No judgement, just encouragement.

In our case, knowing she'd carry the 22LR, I sought advise from someone I trusted, and they told me I needed to do some ballistics testing to find out what performs best. So I bought a block of ballistics gel. We had two revolvers in 22LR, a Rossi Plinker and Ruger LCR. And we tested four different rounds. CCI Stinger 32g CPHP, CCI Velocitor 40g CPHP, CCI Mini-Mag 36g CPHP and Win Super-X 40g CPHP. Results as follows:

Rossi Plinker: CCI Mini-Mag 36g; Ave. 11.58" (no exp.) Stinger 11.50" (no exp.) Velocitor 10.30" (no exp.)
    Ruger LCR: CCI Velocitor; Ave. 14.08" (no exp.) CCI Mini-Mag 12.75" (no exp.) Stinger 11.60" (no exp.)

Suprisingly, the Winchester Super-X expanded with an average penetration 9.3" with the Rossi and 9.5" with the LCR.

While I'm not recommending any particular round here, I'm providing the results to back up what my source said about finding the best round for any particular gun. Look how well the Velocitor performed with the LCR vs. not nearly so good with the Rossi. I was really surprised at the differences gun to gun.

I would also suggest watching the Brass Fetcher video on 22LR for SD. Actually John (Brass Fetcher) is the one who recommended I do my own testing. Save for that, if you can't do it, check out his vid and decide for yourself. Don't listen to the critics having a coronary about her carrying a 22LR. You keep up the encouragement, mentorship, and skill building and the progression will happen in time.

Plus you knew you were in for a flamethrower posting this here. Hang in there buddy.

Clinging to my Guns and Bible

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
    Article I, Section 21, "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

First of all rimfire is unreliable, especially now after loss of QC post panic. Second, a 38 with wadcutters is a better choice, and that sucks. Do your daughter a favor, get her some quality training.
    Nmuskier and gasmitty like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
    Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy42 View Post
    Ah The best .22 ammunition to use for self defense, in my opinion, would be ah .223 orrr22-250! Well you didn't say .22 rimfire! oh well I couldn't resist. Although not the best .22 lr might not be the best self defense caliber I'd take it hands down over .25 auto. And it's certainly better than a sharp stick, a rock or a slingshot. Although David did slay Goliath with the rock and a sling!
    I agree on the .223 and 22-250. I'd also pass on the .25. As for a .22 pistol being better than a rock or sharp stick...I don't think those are ever realistic choices. That is an old adage that presets an intentionally false dichotomy. But its still debatable. A good stick is more reliable and doesn't have to be reloaded. And I can carry it where firearms are prohibited.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    I'm pretty sure that of all 22LR the CCI Velocitor carries the most energy. Not a great choice but not the worst.
    i looked this up..

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I agree on the .223 and 22-250. I'd also pass on the .25. As for a .22 pistol being better than a rock or sharp stick...I don't think those are ever realistic choices. That is an old adage that presets an intentionally false dichotomy. But its still debatable. A good stick is more reliable and doesn't have to be reloaded. And I can carry it where firearms are prohibited.
    Good point, no pun intended
    Nmuskier likes this.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links