Best .22LR ammo for self defense

This is a discussion on Best .22LR ammo for self defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by onacoma Here you go right from the Ruger's Man-U-Well" NOTE: The following warning applies to RUGER® 10/22® Target and Tactical rifles only: ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Best .22LR ammo for self defense

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Here you go right from the Ruger's Man-U-Well" NOTE: The following warning applies to RUGER® 10/22® Target and Tactical rifles only: “Stinger” cartridges have a longer case than 22 LR cartridges loaded to U.S. Industry specifications. They can stick in the tighter chambers of target rifles,
    including the Ruger 10/22 Target and Tactical rifles, which can result in a hazardous ruptured case and release of hot powder gasses and brass when fired.
    DO NOT USE “STINGER” AMMUNITION IN 10/22 TARGET or TACTICAL RIFLES We can only assume everyone reads their manual?
    Dat'z what I said Moe...you can shootz stingers booo lits ONLY IN THE CAR BEAN 10/22

2. Remove Ads

The topic

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    I can get similar muzzle velocities from 158 gr .38, 147 gr 9mm, and 180 gr .40

I like what Taurahe said, "A good hi velocity HP". How about a 60gr .22 at 3,100fps? That's my entry level SD rifle (5.56 NATO).
    The OP thread is regarding .22 LR options, not comparing other calibers to .22 LR.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't know that "type" of .22 makes a difference, but I'm all for .22 LR solids and letting them bounce around inside the skull.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The best .22 for defense is a 22-250.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links