Defensive Carry banner

Shooting stuff is fun part 2.. with pics

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Bags 
#1 · (Edited)
From my last outing I shot bullets in sand to see what happened. On this outing I shot bullets into a stack of wet magazines for the "fluid" effect to aid in expansion. Thanks P-95 for the suggestion:congrats:

So I went and shot some UNC 230gr .45 acp hollowpoints. They are $27 for a box of 100. I carry them and have shot ~300 rds through my kimber with ZERO failures of any kind.

Again, this is not for scientific purposes, just a guy shooting things at a WMA range.

Here is what the end result was

I have read that the outter jacket coming apart is bad. Is this true? Why? And none of the outter jacket came apart. Even the WWB FMJ.

Hope you enjoy the pics

ediot with new links...lol

See less See more
#2 ·
Well - not just my idea the wetpack - Steve Camp used it before I did.

You have some pretty classic test expansions there and true enough, jacket will sometimes separate. It is IMO only regarded as bad because of its low mass once on its own.

That said the lead core and jacket ''shrapnel'' sure is still gonna do some damage if penetration adequate. Much depends on when separation occurs and I feel that wetpack tends to encourage earlier separations at times.

I doubt too the UMC JHP's are as well held together as some others - bonded cores being probably the ideal.

#4 ·
Doc Holliday said:
Hey Bags, I'm in the western outer-suburbs of Atlanta. Where is this WMA range that you speak of? Every where I go costs money. Thanks.

Cool pics by the way!

it's off of I-75 ext 320.... then go west on 136 about 6 miles until the road dead ends.. turn RIGHT go about 200 yds and there should be a sign on your right..gravel road

Chestnut Mtn. Shooting Range
The area is open Monday thru Saturday, 9 AM to 8 PM from May thru August. Hours from September thru April are from 9 AM to 5 PM. Closed all day Sunday.

:hand10:

#5 ·
P95Carry said:
Well - not just my idea the wetpack - Steve Camp used it before I did.

You have some pretty classic test expansions there and true enough, jacket will sometimes separate. It is IMO only regarded as bad because of its low mass once on its own.

That said the lead core and jacket ''shrapnel'' sure is still gonna do some damage if penetration adequate. Much depends on when separation occurs and I feel that wetpack tends to encourage earlier separations at times.

I doubt too the UMC JHP's are as well held together as some others - bonded cores being probably the ideal.

hmm.ok... and I did not remember who gave you the idea, just you mentioned it tome.. I can only remember so much..lol

#10 ·
Bags said:
it's off of I-75 ext 320.... then go west on 136 about 6 miles until the road dead ends.. turn RIGHT go about 200 yds and there should be a sign on your right..gravel road

Chestnut Mtn. Shooting Range
The area is open Monday thru Saturday, 9 AM to 8 PM from May thru August. Hours from September thru April are from 9 AM to 5 PM. Closed all day Sunday.

:hand10:
Thanks Bags. I am going to have to check that out.

#14 ·
Pics

Can't see the pics. Helpful tip, pack your magazines or newsprint into old 5gal buckets. Easier to soak and transport, and easier to find the projectiles. I use this all the time, both for the gunshop and to teach EMT classes.

Shooting stuff is fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.