An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

This is a discussion on An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So basically I can get rich by inventing a pocket SD shot gun! To the draw board.... Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

So basically I can get rich by inventing a pocket SD shot gun! To the draw board....

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

2. Remove Ads

Informative recent study of caliber effectiveness. If you don't want to read the whole thing here is the conclusion:

Conclusion

This study took me a long time and a lot of effort to complete. Despite the work it took, I'm glad I did it. The results I got from the study lead me to believe that there really isn't that much difference between most defensive handgun rounds and calibers. None is a death ray, but most work adequately...even the lowly .22s. I've stopped worrying about trying to find the "ultimate" bullet. There isn't one. And I've stopped feeling the need to strap on my .45 every time I leave the house out of fear that my 9mm doesn't have enough "stopping power." Folks, carry what you want. Caliber really isn't all that important.

Take a look at the data. I hope it helps you decide what weapon to carry. No matter which gun you choose, pick one that is reliable and train with it until you can get fast accurate hits. Nothing beyond that really matters!

One reason I don't carry a 22 is reliability of rimfire. Other than that, use quality ammo and suit yourself.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

VIP Member
    I just took a Defensive Knife class from the author of this article, and previously took a battlefield first aid course he taught. He is a wealth of knowledge on a wide variety of self-defense topics.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

This is a sticky thread already.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post

Informative recent study of caliber effectiveness. If you don't want to read the whole thing here is the conclusion:
    I can't speak from experience, and sincerely hope and pray I never can speak from experience. I also can't speak from my own testing, other than reliability and accuracy.

I agree with some of the premises put forth, for example handguns and handgun ammo certainly aren't death rays. I also agree there is no magical, ultimate bullet. But, I do believe some choices are better than others, both with regard to caliber and ammo. Personally, I feel perfectly comfortable carrying a 9mm, but since I made that decision years ago, I also think it is wise to select an ammo that MAY give me an advantage in the unfortunate event that I had to defend myself with a firearm. Such ammo must first be proven reliable in the gun of choice, be relatively accurate, controllable with follow up shots, and preferably this will be an ammo that has been shown in testing to provide an edge in expansion and penetration.

Just my humble opinion.
    NRA Life Member

A steady shot 9mm on target beats a jerky .45 missing any day of the week - which is pretty much what was quoted by the OP. So far, I haven't had anybody take me up on my offer to let me take a couple of shots at them with my "wimpy lil 9".

Sent from my GS 3 using Tapatalk 2

Why does everyone always 'assume' a 9mm will be on target and a .45 won't? There are .45's I can shoot and double tap better than some 9mm's, so that analogy seems a bit too commonly used.

Also, for defensive stopping purposes, putting 2 rounds in one hole is less effective than putting 2 rounds in 2 holes... even more true for smaller calibers - just saying.

I wouldn't take you up on an offer for an Indian burn, but that doesn't make it a good self-defense choice. Of course the 9mm IS a good choice, but the point is that argument is weak.
    Thunder71 and bmcgilvray like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I took an exhaustive survey of Bad Guys asking them specifically which round they'd rather be shot with. Their answer was unanimous: None

Carry what you want, hit what you aim at.
    Oreste likes this.

You can stand by statistics......I'll stand by Cirillo......first hand knowledge.....so incapacitation is better with the .380 rather than the.45acp.....please discard this article in the circular file.......rubbish.

Just as a general rule, anecdotal evidence tends not to be as accurate as statistical evidence, but in this case I agree with you.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I wouldn't take you up on an offer for an Indian burn, but that doesn't make it a good self-defense choice. Of course the 9mm IS a good choice, but the point is that argument is weak.
    Hmmmmmm - Indian Burn bad! Wet Willy better! 9mm even better, me thinkum you betcha!

I've learned from hunting that you can do a lot more than you think with a small caliber. It's not until you actually shoot something that is flesh and blood where you get to see what a bullet can do. You can use all the ballistics gel you want but it's not the same as real life. No living creature is a consistent density like a gel is.

My favorite caliber for hunting small game (hogs included) is the 17 HMR. I've killed many animals with this round I couldn't even begin to count them. From squirrels and coyotes to 150+ lb hogs. If you put a hole in a vital organ the animal will go down. Add a few more due to fragmentation the effect is magnified.

As for using rimfire rounds. If your firearm is in good shape you're not going to have issues with ignition. Most problems are from weak firing pins or bad extractors. Shoot often and keep up on maintenance. When I had issued with my rim fires (rifle or pistol) it was my fault not the firearms.

Moral of the story is put a hole or two in a BG in a vital area and you're going to stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    I've learned from hunting that you can do a lot more than you think with a small caliber...
    Have a lot of these squirrels, coyotes & hogs been trying to...kill you?
    Brad426 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Links