An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

This is a discussion on An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the great read, JD. The success of the 25 could be due to the working girl's proximity to the john's vitals. I've seen ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

VIP Member
    Thanks for the great read, JD.

The success of the 25 could be due to the working girl's proximity to the john's vitals.
    I've seen people shoot and score with the 44 on the first shot, but after that?
    I'm waiting for statistics on one shot grizzley stops from my 500. Meanwhile, if it makes no difference, I'll be content with 357, 40, and 45. So far, I'm fastest with the KImber.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The issue in this case is there aren't really enough .32 ACP shootings to determine a realistic rate - with that few shootings, the chances that you have encountered a statistical anomaly rather than a representative rate is just too high.
    That's basically the point I was trying to make. To make it more extreme, or course this is for discussion purposes only, it'd be like comparing .32 with 1 person shot, and it was successful being a 100% rating, verses .45 with 2 people shot, one shot wasn't successful. That's 50%.

I still think the number of shots should be close to equal per caliber to have a fair comparison. But nonetheless, it was a major amount of research which we all can appreciate. And it does go to show, again that caliber doesn't matter if you put the rounds where they need to be.

sgb
    Nice read, however unsubstantiated statistics with no baseline for comparison make it just that, an interesting read. Nothing I'd put any weight in.
    C hawk Glock and Old School like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Well, seeing this has re-enforced what I already suspected. In which case I feel a whole lot better about carrying a .22LR pistol around. In fact, I may carry it more often now.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    re-reading as it were a technical paper--i appreciate the clarity of your methodology.
    and as we have the same conclusion--gotta like it even more.

no indications for the distances but the smaller the caliber, likely the closer they were.
    thereby accounting for the seemingly high accuracy of the smaller calibers.
    we also are left not knowing what the bg's were wearing; winter vs summer wear adjusted for how many were ganger's who tend to dress in layers.

for decades i have used my crony and old clothing ( std is 2 layers of jeans and a lined coat for to make winter) into wet phone books.
    measuring the depth and observing the manor of paper destroyed has me to favor
    32-winter--ball....summer silvertips (seldom carry 32 in winter)
    380 same as 32 (favorite secondary)
    38 LSWC and Gold dots (642 other favorite secondary)
    9mm ball and gold dots (p11)
    40 TC and GD's (180gr; p239 all around favorite primary)
    45acp ball and GD's (colt Defender, Kimber ecliipse11)
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, seeing this has re-enforced what I already suspected. In which case I feel a whole lot better about carrying a .22LR pistol around. In fact, I may carry it more often now.
    And hence lies the harm that can be done by amateur statisticians.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Definitely a good read, and JD - thanks for posting. (In light of recent posts, my evil twin wants to to ask if the author collected data on one-shot stops from guns carried with an empty chamber... bad boy! bad boy!)

What is particularly appealing is that the author makes some reasonable observations (conclusions) based on the data. He's not cheerleading for any particular caliber or bullet type, nor is he over-emphasizing the importance of the one-shot stop. One would hope that his statement "Caliber really isn't all that important" would bring world peace to the caliber wars, but we know that won't happen.
    limatunes and Tony87cle like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    JD,

That you for the post! It's cool to have all that data, but I think we all must take this with a "bullet grain" of salt. There are major data points that are missing that would truly lead to different conclusions. Bullet type being one of them, as well as distance.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Just puts more fuel behind what I try to tell people who say this caliber is the end all caliber. I always try to keep an open mind and to pass on as much knowledge as I can to those who ask. With today's bullets/propellants you're good with almost any caliber it comes down to shot placement. Carry what you can shoot well and something that is reliable. If you can meet these standards by carrying a larger caliber fine, if not no big deal. I only tell people to shy away from the .22s because of the lack of reliability of the round and how many failures it has compared to center fire. I also tell new shooters that a .380 isn't the best choice as a first firearm because most are small guns and small guns are more picky on ammo type and hard to shoot, nothing against the round itself.

Having said that you'll almost always find at least 1 .357 mag on me :-D
    mauser1959 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Not quite sure I understand this, as the number of people NOT incapacitated (stopped) for the .22 was 2-3 (or more) times higher than with the "normal" SD rounds. Seeing statistics - even ones as incomplete as these - that say my choice has a failure rate 2-3 times higher than other choices wouldn't reinforce any positive opinions I had of that choice...quite the opposite, in fact.
    Old School likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I'm getting rid of all of my .45s and going out shopping for a nice, cheap, little .32 acp.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'm getting rid of all of my .45s and going out shopping for a nice, cheap, little .32 acp.
    Heck with that--I'm getting a rock.
    QKShooter likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Reinforces what we know, thanks for posting. I nominate this thread for "sticky" status!

I'm going to...continue training with the "zipper" and "Mozambique" drills...no matter what caliber or bullet type I happen to have.

Two to the chest, one to the head - resolves all caliber arguments.
    gottabkiddin and mauser1959 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    Why lug around a heavy rock when a stone will do just fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Heck with that--I'm getting a rock.
    OD* and Spidey2011 like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Why lug around a heavy rock when a stone will do just fine?
    Actually I was going to go with a pebble!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links